Opions on good quality compact digital camera

I am traveling to Mexico City over the summer and I am wary of taking my Pentax K7 with me. I am thinking of picking up a better quality Point & Shoot for the trip with a decent zoom.

I have read some horror stories about equipment being confiscated in Mexican customs or having to pay to bring it into the country. Also, it is better not to look like a tourist in public places in that city - and a K7 with a 300 mm lens is a bit "touristy" I think.

My daughter has a Fuji 1800 that is not too bad. I am thinking of something a step up from that. I have just started my search so I thought I would ask "the experts" for some ideas.

Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks!

Perhaps one of the high-end "compacts" such as the Fuji X100, Nikon A, Sony RX1, etc. or even a M4/3 or Nikon 1 with a pancake lens may fool the locals into thinking you don't have a high-end camera, but just a run-of-the-mill $100 camera.

But carrying even a $100 camera might still be enough for you to get robbed.

Perhaps one of the high-end "compacts" such as the Fuji X100, Nikon A, Sony RX1, etc. or even a M4/3 or Nikon 1 with a pancake lens may fool the locals into thinking you don't have a high-end camera, but just a run-of-the-mill $100 camera.

But carrying even a $100 camera might still be enough for you to get robbed.

I have the Fuji X100 and the IQ rivals most DSLRs. Checkout the new X20 for a less costly option with high qulaity fast zoom lens.

Thanks for the replies:

Fishy - that Sony looks pretty sweet - bit more than I was hoping to pay but the reviews are very positive!

Aweboater: I have a hard time buying a compact that costs as much as my k7 lol :) Very retro look though- cool!

Nole: the X20 is more in my budget ballpark - I read a pretty thorough review on Amazon.com

I was also looking at Panasonic's Lumix DMC-ZS20 which looks like it might be a good compromise.

Thanks again for your insights - greatly appreciated!

[/url]

I was also looking at Panasonic's Lumix DMC-ZS20 which looks like it might be a good compromise.

I was very impressed with the Panasonic DMC-ZS19 which is the same camera as the ZS-20 but without the GPS capabilities.

Small, compact, and a zoom from about 28mm-320mm (top of my head remembrance), it covers almost every situation you will run into while traveling.

Thanks Tommui987 - I appreciate your mini review of the Panasonic.

I was very impressed with the Panasonic DMC-ZS19 which is the same camera as the ZS-20 but without the GPS capabilities.

Small, compact, and a zoom from about 28mm-320mm (top of my head remembrance), it covers almost every situation you will run into while traveling.

Reviewers and professionals are nearly unanimous in the praise of the Sony RX100. Many consider it to be the most compact camera that can come close to dSLR in performance and image quality. While it's sensor is still smaller than dSLRs, it is much bigger than found in any other compact/point&shoot.

It's more expensive than your run of the mill compact ($650, though it's starting to be available for a little less).

But for someone who truly puts a priority on top notch image quality, low light performance, a fast lens... It's probably the top choice.

My second choice would probably be the Canon G15. A little bulkier, a little cheaper. Lower image quality, smaller sensor, but still a very fast lens. Overall very very nice quality.

I would also second the choice of a Sony RX100, with a few cautions. It has a very short zoom range (28-100mm) so not great for wildlife. However, it's very sharp and a large size (20mp), you can crop in pretty much.

Secondly, there may soon be a successor (rumors say this month), so if you have time, you may want to see what comes of that. Maybe either a price drop or some new, exciting features on the next model.

See review here: http://www.dpreview.com/products/sony/compacts/sony_dscrx100

Here's a sample from the RX100. Didn't need any zoom for this, it was close! But the rapid speed rate was handy!

Maho%20Beach%203-L.jpg

How would you rank a Canon PowerShot A4000 8 X Optical Zoom 16 Pixels?

A guy in a camera shop reckons its a good camera

We are going to Antartica

ANY camera can take decent pictures in good light, with the time to focus, etc . What starts to increase the price is extra features, ability to perform in challenging light, faster and more accurate focusing, faster shooting, less shutter lag. Much of this will affect your "keeper rate" -- take 100 pictures. On a good camera, 90 may be keepers. On a cheap camera, only 10 out of the 100 may be nice crisp sharp keepers. Will still get some, just not nearly as many.

The a4000 is pretty bare bones. In terms of features and image quality, it really won't outperform the better smart phone cameras. (Though it may be better than some of the cheaper smart phone cameras). The only advantage over something like the iPhone 5 would be better optical zoom.

So if you're looking for just a few snapshots to post on Facebook, stick a few small prints in an album, you'll probably get a few decent shots. If you want to really walk away with lots of fantastic photographs, if you don't want to miss many shots... You need a better camera.

ANY camera can take decent pictures in good light, with the time to focus, etc . What starts to increase the price is extra features, ability to perform in challenging light, faster and more accurate focusing, faster shooting, less shutter lag. Much of this will affect your "keeper rate" -- take 100 pictures. On a good camera, 90 may be keepers. On a cheap camera, only 10 out of the 100 may be nice crisp sharp keepers. Will still get some, just not nearly as many.

The a4000 is pretty bare bones. In terms of features and image quality, it really won't outperform the better smart phone cameras. (Though it may be better than some of the cheaper smart phone cameras). The only advantage over something like the iPhone 5 would be better optical zoom.

So if you're looking for just a few snapshots to post on Facebook, stick a few small prints in an album, you'll probably get a few decent shots. If you want to really walk away with lots of fantastic photographs, if you don't want to miss many shots... You need a better camera.

That's what I would have thought as my camera was cheep. That guy selling cameras missed a sale

I have both the HX9V and HX200V. They are excellent in low light. I took the 9V to Europe last summer and hopefully I'll get a chance to try the 200V in Alaska this summer.

Close up of ceiling in Vatican Museum

20120529_132_zps3de7a1ae.jpg

Natural light - quick snap-shot. HX9V

This is the HX200V, I was impressed how it focused on the tiger through the leaves

DSC00066_zpsfe2e8021.jpg

I've only had this one for a week - but I love it!

Vic

Archived