On the Victory...which excursions do you recommend?

DirtDiver

We are a family of three, with a 12 year old boy. We were considering the Atlantis Submarine excursion. Is it worth it in Cozumel? Would it be possible to do that and still walk around Cozumel and "see Mexico?"

Is it best to book when we get on the port at Cozumel or is it better to do it prior to sailing? I know it's a bit last minute, but what would you recommend? I want my son to really enjoy whatever we do. He's easy to please, but I want something a bit more than just sitting on a beach.

IMO, With a 12 year old boy, why book an excursion? Just catch a taxi to Paradise Beach, Mr. Sanchos, or Playa Mia. Reviews and posts on all are on this board. But lots of water toys to keep a 12 year old entertained. If you want to see sealife and the beach, head for Chankanaab Park. You'll not really see "Mexico" in Cozumel. But across the main road from Chank is "Discover Mexico" which has some interesting exhibits and video presentations on the whole country. Both of these places have websites.

You could take a taxi to the Plaza downtown, but the shopping at Puerta Maya is for themost part equal and you do avoid the hassling vendors.

You could hire a driver for the day (see that thread on thsi board) and take a trip around the entire island stopping at the Eco Park (crocodile viewing) and light house, and seeing the rougher shore and blow holes along the east side, visit the small set of Maya ruins on the island, stop at the Tequila Factory and learn how tequila is made (not made on the island) Although your son can't participate in the tastings, the owner is a real hoot and very entertaining plus it's an interesting process. Then there's a great chocolate store on the east side of San Miguel.

I doubt any of these activities would cost the tariff of the Submarine per person.

Taxi to the Money Bar (about a $10 ride) for great snorkeling from the shore, plus good food and drinks!

www.moneybarbeachclub.com

Good luck! :)

Thanks, I've heard really great things from multiple people about the Money Bar beach club...I think that's what we'll do...doesn't seem too pricey and isn't too far.

• 2 weeks later...
Then there's a great chocolate store on the east side of San Miguel.

Are you referring to http://www.chocolateskaokao.com/? We went there our last time in Cozumel and really enjoyed it, however while some 12 year olds may enjoy learning about the history of chocolate and how it was made, others may have had trouble making it through that to get to the tastings. But the folks who run KaoKao are great and are probably used to adjusting the tour to fit the audience.

Archived