Dress 'code' adherence

SolitaryPhoenix

I've noticed on some boards, there's discussion about whether or not you should stick to the suggested dress 'code' - usually with some people saying it's only a suggestion, wear what you want, you're paying for it, etc, and other saying you should try to stick to the suggested dress, because that's one of the things you do on a cruise - ettiquette, tradition, whatever. I agree with the later school of thought. I don't see that kind of discussion going on here - do most Disney cruisers tend to not mind dressing up once in awhile, or have I just not skimmed far enough back? ;) Let me know, okay? I'm almost sure I'm going to pay the extra and take a Disney cruise, and this would be one of the things that might make up my mind ~ finally! Thanks...

You need to be dressed up in toxido only for Palo, Italian restaurant on deck 10, other then that, if you come in shorts for dinner in oteh restaurants - restaurant manager will be unhappy, but he can kiss your behind, because they are scared of having incidents of any kind.

I have been on 5 Disney cruises with 1 scheduled for August 2005 and August 2006. You do not need a Tux for the adult restaurant Palo, jacket requested is for all nights. On formal night I have seen about 10% Tux wearers, 60% dark suits, 20% shirt and tie, and the other 10% whatever they pleased including shorts and flip flops no one was not allowed into the dining room. On Semi-formal you see about the same, except for the dark suit which was replaced with the shirt and tie or whatever. We always follow the suggested dress, which to me is part of the fun. It makes me laugh when I see the dress of some people with the look on their faces, "I paid for my cruise and I will wear what I want". I don't let it bother me what anyone else wears, but it would make me feel uncomfortable if I was in the majority of non-conform, I have a picture of the line waiting to go into the dining room on formal night, and it is amusing to see the different style of dress.

I have been on 5 Disney cruises with 1 scheduled for August 2005 and August 2006. You do not need a Tux for the adult restaurant Palo, jacket requested is for all nights. On formal night I have seen about 10% Tux wearers, 60% dark suits, 20% shirt and tie, and the other 10% whatever they pleased including shorts and flip flops no one was not allowed into the dining room. On Semi-formal you see about the same, except for the dark suit which was replaced with the shirt and tie or whatever. We always follow the suggested dress, which to me is part of the fun. It makes me laugh when I see the dress of some people with the look on their faces, "I paid for my cruise and I will wear what I want". I don't let it bother me what anyone else wears, but it would make me feel uncomfortable if I was in the majority of non-conform, I have a picture of the line waiting to go into the dining room on formal night, and it is amusing to see the different style of dress.

It's funny - I love it when we're allowed to wear casual dress [jeans, basically] at work, but on a cruise I'd probably be disappointed if there wasn't some 'dressing-up' done; it brings back a little glamour, you know? So far, the only cruise I've been on is the Mississippi Queen, and, for the most part, the formal night there was definitely formal, including floor-length dresses, and dark, formal suits, buttoned jacket, tie, etc, including a few tuxes; there were a -very- few people wearing more causal clothes for dinner, and especially on the formal/semi-formal nights. :) I really liked it, so, while there are a few cruisers that must be casual no matter what, I'm glad your break-down sounds like most Disney-cruisers' evening dress reflects the lovely, classy ship they're traveling on.

I think that dressing up is part of cruiseing. Also we take family pictures and it is good if we are dressed up some. And yes mickey has on a tux and minnie wears a formal dress. I don't get to get dressed up much at home and try and get dressed up on a cruise.

Just a comment from what I understand --- dress tends to be more formal on the Magic than the Wonder. The Wonder cruises are 3 or 4 nights, with only 1 being formal, so I don't think people are probably getting into it as much as you would see on a 7 night cruise.

There is no formal night on the 4 day cruise.

Palo requirement would be the same as the Magic.

Tritons says jacket suggested, but that is really not necessary, hardly any men wear jackets.

The four day is casual all the way, still no shorts in dining rooms posted on the navigators, but did hear that jeans are now allowed.

This whole discussion is pretty amusing. We've been on two cruises and are getting ready for a third. As long as you don't show up looking like a slob, it's no big deal either way. If people want to go to the trouble of bringing a tuxedo and formal wear, packing it up and dressing up, great. By the same token, a sport jacket, nice shirt (no tie, even) and khakis for men and a nice dress for women is fine. No one feels uncomfortable either way. We certainly didn't. In fact, the wait staff will encourage you to attend even if you didn't bring formal wear. For us, the whole idea of a cruise is to relax and get away from formality. Others clearly like the idea of getting dressed up more formally. They paid, too, so whatever they want to do works just fine as well. In fact, if they wanted to, they could probably show up at all the other dinners dressed in formal gowns, white tails and top hats and no one would object. Do whatever feels best. Just look like you're going to a nice restaurant.

Obviously, white tie, tails, and ball gowns would be kind of silly. :rolleyes: This will be my first traditional cruise, and I just wanted to know what went on as far as dressing at dinner ~ as I pointed out, the other lines' forums all seemed to have a thread addressing this, so I thought I'd ask! If Disney's 4-night doesn't have a formal, semi-formal, or even somewhat dressy night, that's fine, but I think drawing a line somewhere has it's merits. Just MHO. :)

:) Myfamily really enjoys dressing up on the formal nights

not all dress up to the hill but most dress up alittle

It is a pleasure to dress when the service and quality is there

have been on the Disney Magic numerous times

Next trip is Christmas 2005

For summer we are on the Mariner of the Seas July 31

Disney is worth the extra undoubtably

Yeah. There really is no formal night on the Wonder. Tritons is supposed to be the dressier of the three restaurants, but one time I just wore a shirt, another cruise I wore just a jacket and tie.

Never tried Paolo.

On the contrary SolitaryPhoenix....many people wear white tie & tails and ball gowns. It's really one of the only opportunities left in this world (for us regular folk) to dress that way. You may be suprised! BUT on the other hand, DCL was way less formal for their formal nights than say Celebrity and NCL(before freestyle). There you will surely see tuxes, sparkles and gowns everywhere. I was dissappoionted in the lack of "glamour" on the DCL cruise in comparison to other.

On the contrary SolitaryPhoenix....many people wear white tie & tails and ball gowns. It's really one of the only opportunities left in this world (for us regular folk) to dress that way. You may be suprised! BUT on the other hand, DCL was way less formal for their formal nights than say Celebrity and NCL(before freestyle). There you will surely see tuxes, sparkles and gowns everywhere. I was dissappoionted in the lack of "glamour" on the DCL cruise in comparison to other.

You mean, actual tails, like Fred Astaire tails?

• 3 weeks later...

Mickey, Minnie, Goofy all in Tuxes and party dresses! My daughter's favorite pictures from our three cruises is with Goofy in his tux. He is the only character actually taller then her! Have dressed for formal night on all three cruises. One of the few chances I have to get really dressed up!

We went on the Breast Cancer Awareness "Pink Ribbon Cruise" on the Disney Magic in 2003. We had 35 women in our group and 3 men. I rented a tux for DH because we were doing a post cruise stay at AKL and I didn't want to carry the heavy suit.

Well, the 34 other women made DH feel special, they kept calling him "Mr. Bond", hey, here comes "Mr. Bond". The tux sure does look good in the formal pictures. I also rented the shoes, so the bill was $100.

Sure, tuxedos are in the minority on the Magic, but they sure look good.

• 1 month later...

We were on the wonder last September. For Palo's my husband wore his suit and I wore my little black dress. The other nights dress slacks and shirt for hubby and skirt, tops and heels for me. We were fine. Although there was a family who wore nothing but sweats the entire 4 days. That was their choice but they did look out of sorts. I like cruising to look my best enjoy the time with family and a good excuse to dress up:)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived