Taxi etiquette in New York

xz3k3x

My friend and I are going on the Triumph and we were told to take a taxi from LaGuardia to the pier. I don't know the first thing about getting a taxi. How do I make sure I'm not getting ripped off? Someone said it is about $30 to the pier, is that each or do we get to split the cost? Is it easy to get one out of the airport.

i would assume that is per taxi, it should be clearly amrked on the side or inside of the vechile, i blieve they have a flat fee for all taxis so tourists don't get taken advantage of. What do you mean is it easy to get out of the airport?

Taxi's are .40 per mile, plus a surchage depending on the time of day. Surcharge is either .50 or 1.00. You are also responsible for any tolls. Coming from LaGuardia, the midtown tunnel is probably quickest. You will probably be better off booking a car service. You will know the full cost upfront (plus tolls and tip). There are several in New York. You can book online at www.carmelcarservice.com or www.telavivcar.com I have used both and both are good and similarly priced. You generally set it up and then call them when you have your bags. They will tell you where to wait and a car is generally there in 15 minutes or less. The tip is usually 20%, but that is up to you. Tolls vary, but figure a minimum of $3. If you have any other questions, let me know.

Bridget

Coming from LaGuardia, the midtown tunnel is probably quickest. You will probably be better off booking a car service.

Bridget

Sorry to repectfully disagree. First, go directly to the designated taxi stands. Do not even listen to anyone in the baggage claim area asking if you want a taxi. When you get in the taxi, tell the driver you want to use the 59th Street Bridge. This will save you the toll in the midtown Tunnel and leave you closer to the pier, basically a straight shot cross-town. The midtown tunnel (in addition to the toll) will bring you too far south. The fare is based on the trip, not person. Tip should be 15-20%, depending on service. Hope this is helpful.

Sorry to repectfully disagree. First, go directly to the designated taxi stands. Do not even listen to anyone in the baggage claim area asking if you want a taxi. When you get in the taxi, tell the driver you want to use the 59th Street Bridge. This will save you the toll in the midtown Tunnel and leave you closer to the pier, basically a straight shot cross-town. The midtown tunnel (in addition to the toll) will bring you too far south. The fare is based on the trip, not person. Tip should be 15-20%, depending on service. Hope this is helpful.

You haven't found the taxi to be more than a car service? In rush hour I think the per minute rate will add up fast, which is why I suggested a car service, which is a set rate. I do agree about the bridge. I was thinking about when I come into Grand Central, not the terminal.

Bridget

You haven't found the taxi to be more than a car service? In rush hour I think the per minute rate will add up fast, which is why I suggested a car service, which is a set rate. I do agree about the bridge. I was thinking about when I come into Grand Central, not the terminal.

Bridget

Hi Bridget,

You might be right about the car service. I have no idea about their rates from LGA to the pier.

Bill

xz3x3k,

I live in Queens (Flushing) near La Guardia and I can tell you from experience you want to take a car service with a flat rate. Total time from airport to Manhattan via 59th Street Bridge -- approx. 15 min. However, going to the west side (11th Avenue) where the ships are takes as long as 45 minutes due to street closures and diversions. Every weekend there are at least 2 or 3 street fairs.

Tell your car service to use the 59th Street Bridge and head up 59th Street to the pier. 59th Street is where the entrance is and then you just keep going until you find the ship. If you try to go up to 55th Street, you may be rerouted to 59th Street anyway because the situation changes at the pier hour by hour. So I strongly recommend telling your driver to go to 59th Street first.

Car service rate should be approx. $35-$36 plus tip -- total about $40-$45 depending on amount of luggage and people in car. No toll on 59th Street Bridge.

Another plus, you get a magnificent view of Manhattan going over the Bridge on one side if the weather is clear.

I am going again in September on both the Legend and then the Triumph and I will be using "Skyway" car service who is based in Queens -- (718) 591-7000 -- they use Lincoln Continentals -- very comfortable cars and their drivers are either from India or Pakistan and know their way around. Call them from the airport once you have your luggage and find out if you need to be on the upper or lower level of the airport for them to pick you up before you let your airport skycap drop off your luggage.

Carmel is based in Manhattan so it will take them longer to get to the airport. You want a Queens based car service. You won't have to spend as much time waiting for them to come and get you.

Hope this helps.

MARAPRINCE

I grew up in Flushing..... live in Florida now, but I lived there for YEARS.

Family Miracle,

Nice to hear from you. Are you going on a Carnival Cruise soon?

I will be sailing the Legend on 9/2/05 and then the Triumph on 9/10/05. Both are round trip out of NYC.

MARAPRINCE

Thanks everybody....I'm going to check out the car rentals. Keep up the info.

I hope you mean car service and NOT car rentals! If you rented a car you would want to drive it off the bridge by the time you got to it.

I will have to agree with the others in that as long as the car service is not much more money, I would go with them, and definitly tell them to take the bridge.

Archived