Raratonga souvenirs - cheap

CruisinFools

Just a note for upcoming cruisers to Paradise. It might interest you to know that Raratonga is a LOT cheaper than anywhere in French Polynesia. We were looking for souvenirs to bring back home (for everyone who was super-jealous of our cruise through Paradise). We found that the beaded necklaces, string of shells, postcards, etc., were half the price than they were in FP. If I had known then what I know now, I would have gotten all my souvenirs in Raratonga. Just thought you might want to know. It was apparent that many of the passengers we sailed with were quite wealthy (you could tell by the jewelry, in our various conversations, etc.) however for my husband and me, we're just a couple of working stiffs who still have to watch our pennies. Thought this might come in handy....

Bon Voyage!

Joyce

My DH and I honeymooned in the COoks for 10 days back in 2000 and we will be doing the TP Sept 1 sailing for our 5th anniversary (already??) and happy to go back to the COoks for at least one day.

I don't know about flying to Raro post cruise..I think it is 500 miles away from Papeete..so it may be a more expensive flight than hopping between, say Moorea and Tahiti..but perhaps Air New Zealand does those hops?

We loved the Cooks..things were definitely pretty reasonably priced back then. I think the US dollar was stronger back then against the NZ dollar so our exchanges came out great..I know it is better than the Tahitian francs..so buying souvenirs would be better..I think even pearls will be a better deal there as well.

One thing I collect from my island visits is pareos. They are somewhat unique on the islands..some may be similar but they are all reminders of my few vacations..I have a few I bought in the Cooks, I have a couple from Hawaii(that have plumeria and more traditional hawaiian look to them), I have one that is from Tahiti my parents bought me 15 years ago that says Tahiti on it, I have a couple from Fiji my mother brought me back last year and I look forward to adding 1-2 from my cruise as a reminder..these are relatively cheap and I wear them in the summer here alot..so they are useful!

I am also a tropical scent junkie so I will pick up lotions and perfumes (Rarotonga has a perfume factory as well just slightly outside of the main shopping area). We are also not really knick knack type people..we try and bring back an art item or something unique from the trip that we can display. From Hawaii, for example, we found this beautiful carved wood frame that we inserted a mirror in..or we get pictures to frame..

I don;t really collect t-shirts and the usual souvenirs but I do recall a large store in Raro along the waterfront that had tons of pareos and tshirts of all kinds..cheap!

Anyway...I think what you could do is wait until the ship gets to Raro to make purchases and if you don't find what you want..then when you go back to Tahiti..you can finish your shopping there. I think I heard the Marche in Papeete has just about anything you could want for souvenirs and is right near the ship so if you give yourself some time in Papeete on disembarkation day..you can visit the marche and pick up last minute stuff.

Hope that helps!! I am getting excited about our trip!!

Archived