Connecting Room To Suite - Perks

If the children are minors, then they would not be permitted in the CL without their parents in any event, so I don't see a problem with having them there with you. They will not separate minor children from their parents on Labadee or at shows either. Now, if you were talking adult children, that would be a different situation all together.

Your best bet is to email the concierge on the Oasis 1 week prior to sailing. They will not answer your emails sooner as they are taking care of their current guests onboard. No matter what answer RCI may give you, the concierge on each ship has the final word.

I might be wrong as I am still learning but I think as you are D+ if your kids are minors and live with you they have same status so would be entitled to use CL so long as you are with them.

I might be wrong as I am still learning but I think as you are D+ if your kids are minors and live with you they have same status so would be entitled to use CL so long as you are with them.

That's true if they're D+ but the OP didn't mention if they were D+.

I am not D+ but my kids are minors (11 and 13) and live with me! Hope that helps! :)

I know there were a few other people here wondering about the same thing. Still waiting for RCCL's reply and will be sure to post it when/if I get one.

I've still got 3 weeks to my cruise, but I'm sure the concierge will comctact me in 2 weeks or so. I'm going to ask specifically about minor children in the connecting room and their privileges. We're not visiting Labadee this trip, but I will ask when we're onboard "for future reference" :)

If you don't say anything how are they going to know you're not sharing the suite? They could ask to see you passes, but would they? I don't know but just throwing it out there. As long as the parents use their passes, it may not occur to anyone to question it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I've still got 3 weeks to my cruise, but I'm sure the concierge will comctact me in 2 weeks or so. I'm going to ask specifically about minor children in the connecting room and their privileges. We're not visiting Labadee this trip, but I will ask when we're onboard "for future reference" :)

Thanks Nanci. I am hoping to hear something soon since it is getting close to a week since I emailed them. I was going to reply to the acknowledgement email but fear that would further delay any response since they said:

" Thank you for contacting us. This is an automated confirmation that your email has been received. Our representatives will reply to your inquiry in the order in which it was received. Please reply only if you need to provide additional information related to your original email. Follow-up emails regarding the status of your query may further delay your response.

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work to service your request."

I find it odd that it takes so long just to have a simple question answered through email but I'll keep waiting.

If you don't say anything how are they going to know you're not sharing the suite? They could ask to see you passes, but would they? I don't know but just throwing it out there. As long as the parents use their passes, it may not occur to anyone to question it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I believe the Concierge has a list of suite guests. Whether he/she would do anything about it is anyone's guess. Same with the shows and beach. I would think the kids would need to show their card but maybe not. I just really don't want to go that route of trying to hide it. Either RCCL and/or the Concierge says minors are okay to accompany their parents in suites or not. I just want an answer before I book this combination.

We just got off the Navigator and had a suite with our kids in the inside across the hall. When I initially booked with Royal, I asked this question because my husband was booked in the inside. I was told that we would have no problem getting duplicate keys for all, and no problem with all 4 of us having CL access and perks. We met with the concierge the first day and he affirmed that. Our kids spent a lot of late afternoon and evening time in the suite and ordered room service from there for dinner often. They also enjoyed having a family time pre-dinner drink and snacks with us before we went our separate ways on a few nights. (And we did have the same muster station, but that's a different topic!). Anyhow, there were several children from ages 10-18 or so with their parents in the lounge, and in talking to others, a few were booked into rooms this way or connecting. I doubt you will have a problem. Enjoy your cruise! We definitely did!

That's great to hear! Unlike some who have posted earlier and found that the people in the connecting cabin did not get any of the suite perks. Like many have said before, I guess it all depends on the Concierge in charge. I just don't want to roll the dice and hope we get the one who agrees with our viewpoint!

Thanks Nanci. I am hoping to hear something soon since it is getting close to a week since I emailed them. I was going to reply to the acknowledgement email but fear that would further delay any response since they said:

" Thank you for contacting us. This is an automated confirmation that your email has been received. Our representatives will reply to your inquiry in the order in which it was received. Please reply only if you need to provide additional information related to your original email. Follow-up emails regarding the status of your query may further delay your response.

We appreciate your patience and understanding as we work to service your request."

I find it odd that it takes so long just to have a simple question answered through email but I'll keep waiting.

I know it seems like a simple question to you, but I think different concierges have different styles. And different guests have different styles. And CL's are more crowded on some sailings than on others.

Optimally, you will have a charming, accommodating concierge, with whom your family immediately develops a rapport. Optimally, the concierge immediately perceives that you are highly attentive parents to two delightful, well-behaved, disciplined minor children who would never be a disruption in the CL. Optimally, the concierge knows the number of CL guests on your cruise is low or moderate, so optimally, the concierge might welcome such a family into the CL (though perhaps asking the guests keep it on the QT or confine the visits to less busy times or such, depending upon the situation).

Now imagine a very, very different scenario: A frazzled concierge is already overwhelmed by an exceptionally large number of suite and D+ and Pinnacle guests, crowding the CL. Now, sub-optimally, there are guests from multiple suites loudly requesting privileges for connecting cabins (full cabins at that, with four more people in each!). In the sub-optimal situation, those guests appear potentially disruptive to the concierge's opinion. And right behind those suite guests make special requests is a line of D+ guests asking that their non D+ cabinmates also be admitted to the CL. The concierge simply cannot accommodate them all and feels he must say no.

And imagine scenarios exist everywhere between those two extremes. If you were the concierge, you might want the cruise line to honor your professional judgement, allowing you to assess the situation, and optimize the outcome on that cruise with those guests. In fact, as a pleasant and dignified suite guest, you might also want the concierge to be able to exercise good judgement. A cruiseline wide policy might not always be in your best interest.

If it is vitally important that the kids have gold card privileges, you may wish to book them in the suite.

Of course if my kids are unruly or causing as disturbance in the CL they would be kicked out. The Concierge wouldn't have to do it, I WOULD! We could all just share the suite but it would be so much more comfortable for all of us if the connecting room was a viable option. The suite perks for our kids are important to me because it would enable them to join us in the CL when we decide to have breakfast or lunch there. We want them with us if we go to the private beach. We would like to sit together at shows. If they can't join us, then that would eliminate some of the reasons for getting a suite in the first place.

It is left to the discretion of the concierge because there is no simple "one size fits all" answer.

If the CL is not crowded, it is not a problem.

But when it is (which it often is), it puts the concierge in a tough spot and comes down to a judgment call.

Suite passengers who are traveling with children want their children allowed in, while those without children don't want the available space taken up by other people's children who are not in suites.

If they allow the children from a connecting cabin, then what about the children staying in a cabin across the hall, or a cabin down the hall?

What about a suite occupant's disabled elderly parent who is staying in an accessible cabin?

Where should the line be drawn?

No matter what decision is made, someone will be unhappy about it.

For us, after this cruise we will be D+, so the CL issue will be moot. It's the beach at Labadee that's mostly the issue. That and the waiting area prior to embarking. We rarely visit the CL for a cocktail before dinner, but may afterwards when the kids have gone their own way.

With no Gold card there is no entrance to the Concierge Lounge. However, since it concerns your children, you can ask the concierge if they may join you and I expect he will allow it. Same with the beach question.

children are allowed with the suite guests. It is the DL where no kids are allowed.

Of course if my kids are unruly or causing as disturbance in the CL they would be kicked out. The Concierge wouldn't have to do it, I WOULD! We could all just share the suite but it would be so much more comfortable for all of us if the connecting room was a viable option. The suite perks for our kids are important to me because it would enable them to join us in the CL when we decide to have breakfast or lunch there. We want them with us if we go to the private beach. We would like to sit together at shows. If they can't join us, then that would eliminate some of the reasons for getting a suite in the first place.

I understand all that. I was trying to express how many different situations a concierge might encounter.

Maybe you will get a definitive, satisfactory written answer to your email query; if so, that the email along, just in case. If you get a no or a non committal reply, you'll have decision to make. In that case, if you stick with your suite plus connecting cabin arrangement, there are decent odds the concierge will happily accommodate the whole family. But situations and concierges vary, so I think there is a chance you will hear no. If the suite perks for the kid's is really, really important, the surest way is to book all into suite(s). Weigh the risks and rewards; I am sure you'll make a good decision.

I would suggest that since RCI is moving toward modular booking for families in the next class, that they should experiment with this on their current class ships. We recently sailed with a suite and connecting cabin. Three of the people in our suite paid far less that the other family members in a connecting cabin. Our extended family was split up before dinner - one half went to the diamond lounge and the other half went to the concierge lounge. Why? The six family members (including my husband and I) were diamond members, but because two were not officially in the suite (our doors were open the whole time, so their room was an extension of the suite) they could not go to the concierge lounge. Likewise, one of the family members in the suite was not a diamond so they had to go to the concierge lounge with the other family members in the suite or by themselves. We were one large family sailing together, yet we were split apart. Same went for the ice show and other shows. We could not/would not use the "gold seats" and leave my elderly parents to fend for themselves. We paid for perks we could not, in good faith use.

If the two cabins were considered to be part of one module, this problem would be easily solved. In reality we had a three bedroom suite. RCI could "buy" a lot of good will for "free" by allowing this. In the case of the OP, Royal could sell two cabins and buy a lot of good will. Parents who can have their privacy, along with the kids right there in a connecting cabin, are more likely to book again. Common sense says that parents are not going to want to pay for suite perks if they cannot use them. Extending the perks to an attached cabin would encourage the sale of two cabins (increased $$) and in reality not really cost the line much, if anything at all. The payoff in goodwill - "priceless". (aka-win/win)

Until we cruised like this, I never realized what the big deal was about. Now I do.

I know some folks on here have said that they were contacted in advance by the concierge. We've been in a GS on some of our sailings and not once has anyone contacted us. We've always had fabulous experiences on board with concierges. I'm wondering if you also need to be Diamond for the pre-sail email? We'll be D after our next cruise.

Some random thoughts and comments

1) If you are in a suite, you should get suite perks.

2) If your are not in a suite, you don't get suite perks.

3) Points 1 and 2 cearly stated in all RCI material - If you think your party is an exception and you are allowed access to the Concierges Lounge... Lucky you!

4) I have written the Concierges months prior to sailing and have they have written back.

5) I think it is not realistic to think anyone one would put a policy exception in writing.

5) Not that it matters, but I think exceptions should NOT be made, but I am realisitic enough to know that there will be some made every sailing.

I know some folks on here have said that they were contacted in advance by the concierge. We've been in a GS on some of our sailings and not once has anyone contacted us. We've always had fabulous experiences on board with concierges. I'm wondering if you also need to be Diamond for the pre-sail email? We'll be D after our next cruise.

C&A level should not make a difference in getting pre-cruise contact from the Concierge. It may depend on the individual Concierge. They may also start at Presidential or Royal Suite and work their way down.

I don't think so, we have been contacted by the concierge when in a GS prior to be D - in fact, everytime we were in GS we received an e mail

#15 From RCI -

The Concierge Lounge is designated as a smoke-free area. We respectfully request that guests observe a Smart Casual dress code when visiting the Lounge (no swim or pool attire is allowed, footwear is required at all times). Guests 21 years and younger must be accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times. Guests and friends of Suite guests/Diamond Plus members are not allowed into the Concierge lounge due to limited space.

https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/cas/secureViewAllBenefits.do;jsessionid=ijGJO7GtYnhouiddvjAYJvT#rcca-answer15

Some random thoughts and comments

1) If you are in a suite, you should get suite perks.

2) If your are not in a suite, you don't get suite perks.

3) Points 1 and 2 cearly stated in all RCI material - If you think your party is an exception and you are allowed access to the Concierges Lounge... Lucky you!

4) I have written the Concierges months prior to sailing and have they have written back.

5) I think it is not realistic to think anyone one would put a policy exception in writing.

5) Not that it matters, but I think exceptions should NOT be made, but I am realisitic enough to know that there will be some made every sailing.

You're entitled to your opinion but you must realize that situations such as the one I described in my OP presents an opportunity for RCCL to CHANGE it's policy, not make an exception. That is why I am hoping for a reply directly from RCCL and not trying to get an "exception" from the Concierge. Having 4 of us in a suite or having 2 of us in a suite with our 2 minor children in a connecting cabin will not increase the amount of people using the limited suite perks.

Archived