Bob Dickinson's back?

[quote name='halos']While I am one who has been severely disappointed by the cutbacks I have 'felt' the most, I don't feel that disappointment is irrational. Never once have I said my CCL cruise was bad..EVER.
What happened is I branched out and experienced what was better (to me) and then the cuts seemed even more obvious.

Moving up to other CCL brands is not the same. I still want that fun factor and I am not quite sure that can be found on Princess. I know dang well I won't find it on HAL.
This is where the disappointment comes in. I LIKED CCL...a lot. Because of it's laid back, fun atmosphere. Once I started to feel the cuts, they affected my cruise enough to move on, but NOT to another CCL brand.

Just because live music is something you can cruise without does not mean that someone who enjoys it is over the top if they complain that it is missing.

I am surprised not at a lukewarm reaction, but very obvious [I]anger[/I] by some over BD's return. I believe another poster hit the nail on the head about why that is.

As for CCL ignoring CC members comments, I feel that is detrimental to them. NCL monitors these boards closely and has a great record of response to any and all comments/complaints and compliments that warrant one.
They don't require a Brand Ambassador to monitor every request and comment. They have their CD and HD patrol each and every ship during each and every sailing, every day to take care of any wants, needs and feedback. No middle man with a FB page.
This kind of treatment (as I have said before) costs NCL nothing. CCL can afford to do this too...why don't they??
It's not difficult to make passengers happy...Just CARE about what they think.
I believe when BD was in charge, they absolutely DID care.
This is part of the difference I see.
Not all 'cuts' are ones that involve money.[/quote]
Very nice post. The shame of it all (and I was one of the "hold-outs" that would not give in) is that they had magic formula and let it slip away (or turned away from it). I like you, love the FUN factor element that they add to the cruise equation. There is a from the top down philosophy that is a gut level change in the way they now do business. One can hope that they can get back on track. I for one hope so.

[quote name='halos']While I am one who has been severely disappointed by the cutbacks I have 'felt' the most, I don't feel that disappointment is irrational. Never once have I said my CCL cruise was bad..EVER.
What happened is I branched out and experienced what was better (to me) and then the cuts seemed even more obvious.

Moving up to other CCL brands is not the same. I still want that fun factor and I am not quite sure that can be found on Princess. I know dang well I won't find it on HAL.
This is where the disappointment comes in. I LIKED CCL...a lot. Because of it's laid back, fun atmosphere. Once I started to feel the cuts, they affected my cruise enough to move on, but NOT to another CCL brand.

Just because live music is something you can cruise without does not mean that someone who enjoys it is over the top if they complain that it is missing.

I am surprised not at a lukewarm reaction, but very obvious [I]anger[/I] by some over BD's return. I believe another poster hit the nail on the head about why that is.

As for CCL ignoring CC members comments, I feel that is detrimental to them. NCL monitors these boards closely and has a great record of response to any and all comments/complaints and compliments that warrant one.
They don't require a Brand Ambassador to monitor every request and comment. They have their CD and HD patrol each and every ship during each and every sailing, every day to take care of any wants, needs and feedback. No middle man with a FB page.
This kind of treatment (as I have said before) costs NCL nothing. CCL can afford to do this too...why don't they??
Not all 'cuts' are ones that involve money.[/quote]
I agree I'm disturbed by reports from the Sunshine saying that the Dj can be heard in the serenity area my balcony is on lido aft of the forward Elevators with 11 sea days i wonder if i can enjoy my balcony

While many of you are praising Dickinson and slamming Cahill, don't forget that Dickinson was on the board of directors until April and had the power to make any changes he felt appropriate.

Why he didn't take action is an open question.

Now, as a consultant, he doesn't have the power he had as a director, so his job is to report what he thinks could be improvements.

[quote name='jimbo5544']Very nice post. The shame of it all (and I was one of the "hold-outs" that would not give in) is that they had magic formula and let it slip away (or turned away from it). I like you, love the FUN factor element that they add to the cruise equation. There is a from the top down philosophy that is a gut level change in the way they now do business. One can hope that they can get back on track. I for one hope so.[/QUOTE]

Yup. The only reason I keep coming back to Carnival at this point is because of it's Fun atmosphere. If it wasn't for this, I would book a cruise on NCL asap

[quote name='swedish weave']While many of you are praising Dickinson and slamming Cahill, don't forget that Dickinson was on the board of directors until April and had the power to make any changes he felt appropriate.

Why he didn't take action is an open question.

Now, as a consultant, he doesn't have the power he had as a director, so his job is to report what he thinks could be improvements.[/QUOTE]

i know the "board" in my company has no influence over operations. in fact, my boss joins many boards in many companies excluding mine for "self gain".

what was the board at ccl responsible for?

but i will say this. if one of our past presidents even came back as a "_______", he would certainly be listened to more than "just" a consultant.

[quote name='halos'] Never once have I said my CCL cruise was bad..EVER.
[COLOR=red]I must have misread many of your comments. I though you were disgusted and angry with Carnival.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]Good for you. I have never understood loyalty to a cruise line.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]Fair enough. I am glad there are several alternatives.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]I respect your opinion but feel cost containment is an issue for all cruise lines.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Although I loved my recent Celebrity cruise , it was being treated like an adult and the smoking policy that will drive me back.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]The entertainment was poor, food just a bit better then Carnival and the cabins were similar.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]My point was CCers stating that they will no longer cruise Carnival because of this. Small potato's.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]Sorry I missed this. What was the nail hitting ?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]Perhaps because different people care about different things. Reading CC threads ,for many it's about every single last penny.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Threads like 5 in a cabin, having to tip for kids or smuggling issues. These are the issues many seem to care about.[/COLOR]
Not all 'cuts' are ones that involve money[COLOR=red].[COLOR=red]So so true[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=black][/[/COLOR]quote]

[SIZE=3]Getting back to thread topic, I feel anyone with "one of the worlds finest private wine collections",[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]is not a messiah who can fix issues with a mass market cruise line.[/SIZE]

[quote name='H82seaUgo']i know the "board" in my company has no influence over operations. in fact, my boss joins many boards in many companies excluding mine for "self gain".

what was the board at ccl responsible for?

but i will say this. if one of our past presidents even came back as a "_______", he would certainly be listened to more than "just" a consultant.[/quote]

That is a strange way to run a company ?????? The directors in the company I worked for were assertive and made it clear what they expected. A comment attributed to one was " People change attitudes or we change people"

[quote name='richstowe'][quote name='halos'] Never once have I said my CCL cruise was bad..EVER.
[COLOR=red]I must have misread many of your comments. I though you were disgusted and angry with Carnival.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]Good for you. I have never understood loyalty to a cruise line.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]Fair enough. I am glad there are several alternatives.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=red]I respect your opinion but feel cost containment is an issue for all cruise lines.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Although I loved my recent Celebrity cruise , it was being treated like an adult and the smoking policy that will drive me back.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]The entertainment was poor, food just a bit better then Carnival and the cabins were similar.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]My point was CCers stating that they will no longer cruise Carnival because of this. Small potato's.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]Sorry I missed this. What was the nail hitting ?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=red]Perhaps because different people care about different things. Reading CC threads ,for many it's about every single last penny.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#ff0000]Threads like 5 in a cabin, having to tip for kids or smuggling issues. These are the issues many seem to care about.[/COLOR]
Not all 'cuts' are ones that involve money[COLOR=red].[COLOR=red]So so true[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=black][/[/COLOR]quote]

[SIZE=3]Getting back to thread topic, I feel anyone with "one of the worlds finest private wine collections",[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]is not a messiah who can fix issues with a mass market cruise line.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

What the heck does the fact that he had a great wine collection (I made the comment) have to do with anything? The point is that he knows the cruise business and has strong relationships with the TA community.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

[quote name='swedish weave']That is a strange way to run a company ?????? The directors in the company I worked for were assertive and made it clear what they expected. A comment attributed to one was " People change attitudes or we change people"[/QUOTE]

it all depends on the bylaws assigned to them, which is why i asked what the board at ccl was responsible for. i know i don't know, but you made a statement like you do.

[quote name='jimbo5544'][quote name='richstowe']

What the heck does the fact that he had a great wine collection (I made the comment) have to do with anything? The point is that he knows the cruise business and has strong relationships with the TA community.
[/quote]
Nothing. I have a bug against people who have "fine" wine collections.
They generally treat their collections with more care then the way they treat others. Am I being fair? Probably not.

Any idea how much Uncle Bob will be getting for his pearls of wisdom ? Any idea how many more wait staff in MDR that would pay for?
I have an issues with all of the cruise lines getting more and more top heavy with huge salary's, overstaffed head offices and lots and lots of VP's.
This is just another example.

[quote name='CarnivalBreeze319']Yup. The only reason I keep coming back to Carnival at this point is because of it's Fun atmosphere. If it wasn't for this, I would book a cruise on NCL asap[/quote]
I was just on the Epic I felt it was a more fun atmosphere the crew seemed happier than the crew on CCL the MDR service was excellent

[quote name='H82seaUgo']it all depends on the bylaws assigned to them, which is why i asked what the board at ccl was responsible for. i know i don't know, but you made a statement like you do.[/quote]

The duties of the board of directors of a publicly held company are outlined in several websites on the internet. It is easy to find the answers you seek.

[url]http://www.ehow.com/facts_5494669_board-director-duties-responsibilities.html[/url]

[url]http://biztaxlaw.about.com/od/startingacorporation/a/boardduties.htm[/url]

[quote name='swedish weave']That is a strange way to run a company ?????? The directors in the company I worked for were assertive and made it clear what they expected. A comment attributed to one was " People change attitudes or we change people"[/quote]
maybe he should have been assertive and FIRE Cahill

[quote name='swedish weave']The duties of the board of directors of a publicly held company are outlined in several websites on the internet. It is easy to find the answers you seek.

[url]http://www.ehow.com/facts_5494669_board-director-duties-responsibilities.html[/url]

[url]http://biztaxlaw.about.com/od/startingacorporation/a/boardduties.htm[/url][/QUOTE]

From the link YOU provided:

Oversight
Corporate boards of directors [B]do not participate in day-to-day decision-making;[/B] instead, they set overall policy, based on the corporate mission and vision, and they exercise an oversight function, reviewing the actions of corporate officers and executives.

[quote name='freagan']From the link YOU provided:

Oversight
Corporate boards of directors [B]do not participate in day-to-day decision-making;[/B] instead, they set overall policy, based on the corporate mission and vision, and they exercise an oversight function, reviewing the actions of corporate officers and executives.[/quote]

Keep going ---- Don't just select a portion for the sake of argument.

READ THE WHOLE THING ---- And if you still want to argue, don't select me as your target.

[quote name='richstowe'][quote name='jimbo5544']
Nothing. I have a bug against people who have "fine" wine collections.
They generally treat their collections with more care then the way they treat others. Am I being fair? Probably not.

Any idea how much Uncle Bob will be getting for his pearls of wisdom ? Any idea how many more wait staff in MDR that would pay for?
I have an issues with all of the cruise lines getting more and more top heavy with huge salary's, overstaffed head offices and lots and lots of VP's.
This is just another example.[/QUOTE]
I don't know but I would wager they are no deeper in VP's than any other cruise line, in fact when Bob left they ha a house cleaning so I would guess that would make them leaner. With your rationale they should fire all home office staff. I do agree and hear your comments about staff on the ship and being over worked. If and when he gets the opportunity to make a difference,make your judgement then. One person foes not a cruise line make (that goes for Gerry and Bob) but they do set set the trends. First time I saw Gerry first hand on the Splendor in Long Beach when they placed her there, he got up in front of everyone and said he would never make a cut that affected passengers (he said this 3 times). Very prophetic.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

[quote name='freagan']According to JH, "Comedy" is being dropped from Brunch, Lido entertainment is being reviewed and new MDR menus are coming.

Not bad for UBs first week.[/quote]
Great if i want mac & cheese with meatloaf I can go to boston market and for less than $7 i can get it with my senior discount

[quote name='jimbo5544'][quote name='richstowe']
I don't know but I would wager they are no deeper in VP's than any other cruise line, in fact when Bob left they ha a house cleaning so I would guess that would make them leaner. With your rationale they should fire all home office staff. I do agree and hear your comments about staff on the ship and being over worked. If and when he gets the opportunity to make a difference,make your judgement then. One person foes not a cruise line make (that goes for Gerry and Bob) but they do set set the trends. First time I saw Gerry first hand on the Splendor in Long Beach when they placed her there, he got up in front of everyone and said he would never make a cut that affected passengers (he said this 3 times). Very prophetic.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app[/quote]My comments were [B]not [/B]specific to Carnival. I wrote
"I have an issues with [B]all of the cruise lines[/B] getting more and more top heavy with huge salary's, overstaffed head offices and lots and lots of VP's".
I'm not sure where you got from me the conclusion that "they should fire all home office staff."
I do think these VP's justify their large renumeration by bit by bit reducing low paid front line staff.

[quote name='wanderingjew']Great if i want mac & cheese with meatloaf I can go to boston market and for less than $7 i can get it with my senior discount[/quote]Sounds treif.:eek:

[quote name='Miami09']Jerry can not be blamed, per say, for cutting the travel agent expense. This idea of saving revenue by cutting back on the use of agents began several years ago as a global initiative at Carnival. In Europe Carnival consolidated its reservation system and a good chunk of the marketing responsibility of its barnds to an entity it set up called Complete Cruise Solutions (internally referred to as CCS). What CCS enabled Carnival UK and P&O (the primary managers of Carnival's Europe/Far East/Australian operations) was to cut outside agent commissions from 15% to 10% and later to 5% per booking. CCL and RCL cut commissions back to 10% and stayed there.

Who do you think these agents are recommending for cruises overseas? Not Carnival.

This system has blown up so badly in Europe, not only strained relations to the breaking point within the travel community Princess Cruises announced they were taking over their own reservations and marketing and no longer working with CCS, that is big.

The same thing has happened here in the US. Agents are not selling Carnival because their competition is paying them higher commissions to sell them. It has not helped that Jerry has embarked on renovating existing ships rather than going new. Cutting back on maintenance periods at the same time created the perfect storm of issues with all the events of the past 2 plus years onboard their ships. This isn't even the tip of the iceberg so to speak at CCL. The well trained team Mr Cahill left in place (who were there to establish the "Fun Ship" concept with Ted) were deemed to expensive to keep or left in revolt. Where are they working today? Working for the competition.

Carnival has major problems right now which they will recover from. But, a changed company which it has to be because right now they are not the industry leader anymore.[/quote]
Thanks so much for the insight. More specific and to the point than my memories of my TA friend.

Everything gets too big and goes downhill it seems...over simplification I know...but we all need to go smaller at some point and more specialized, back to the healthy diversity from farms to travel choices..it seems to me as soon as all brands go under one controlling umbrella....then the power to cut cut cut happens until they cut themselves into something nobody gets enough value out of...employees or clients...except for the top dogs.

The few greats in leadership want all folks to make a good living and have some autonomy in doing so and have good options all along the food/pay/travel chain..so there is clear variety and quality and options to grow and specialize in a niche....improve that niche etc.

When Carnival grew...they lost over time the specialness in all of their cruise lines it seams and at every level folks have noticed a degree of cutbacks and homogenization. Things get too big and controlled by a very few and then implode on themselves it seems...

I hope Bob D. has a real feeling and belief for the kind of good capitalism and work ethic where all involved have a true chance at a piece of the pie and the system that sells that pie gets put back into place as well..they do a great service to building fun into all the many options...my TA friend sure
did....but as an uneducated observer on a Princess TA FAM cruise on the Star in 2002...most travel agents I spoke to said...do not get into the industry now..just too hard..I think that is a huge huge problem the whole industry needs to think about...Sarah

[quote name='freagan']According to JH, "Comedy" is being dropped from Brunch, Lido entertainment is being reviewed and new MDR menus are coming.

Not bad for UBs first week.[/QUOTE]

Yes Yes Yessssss!!!! New MDR menus especially. As long as my WCMC and Bitter and Blanc stay, I'm really looking forward to revamped menus.

Uncle Bob or whoever is behind this, thank you!

ETA: Looks like there's going to be a new Chef's Table menu too, which is great. I wanted to try it, didn't get a chance to during the first menu and really dislike the current menu.

[quote name='TheTravelista']Yes Yes Yessssss!!!! New MDR menus especially. As long as my WCMC and Bitter and Blanc stay, I'm really looking forward to revamped menus.

Uncle Bob or whoever is behind this, thank you!

ETA: Looks like there's going to be a new Chef's Table menu too, which is great. I wanted to try it, didn't get a chance to during the first menu and really dislike the current menu.[/quote]

Keep in mind the downturn with Carnival has been getting feedback for quite some time now. Not only would Bob have nothing to do with that implementation or change his scope thus far has not included what the home office clearly has seen for a couple of years is not working. Analysts have for years been telling Carnival "Listen to your clients.." and it has been an uphill battle for years.

[quote name='Miami09']Keep in mind the downturn with Carnival has been getting feedback for quite some time now. Not only would Bob have nothing to do with that implementation or change his scope thus far has not included what the home office clearly has seen for a couple of years is not working. Analysts have for years been telling Carnival "Listen to your clients.." and it has been an uphill battle for years.[/QUOTE]

I figured it was too soon for this to be a Bob change which is why I said or whoever lol

I'm just glad that it seems like they are ready to admit there are problems and they are taking steps to fix them and improve their offerings. That's really all that anyone can ask for.

[quote name='H82seaUgo']...
and those brochures? i spent many an hour looking throiugh them before my first cruise in 1986, and still have them.

come to think of it, neither do i.[/QUOTE]

And the issues of playboy from my youth... ah Miss March 1987..;)

Archived