Bob Dickinson's back?

I can't say I am surprised at this brilliant move. I knew especially after the Triumph incident that this would possibly happen. I'm sure that Bob and Gerry will have some "heart to heart" discussions. This was a good move by Micky Arison.

In defense of Cahill though I thought that he was a brilliant CFO, but I think that the roles of CFO and CEO are very different and the type of person needed is crucial.

I think Dickinson would not have been as good of a CFO as Gerry and Gerry hasn't been as good as Bob has been in the CEO capacity. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. I think Vicki Freed should have been the successor to Dickinson.

Not sure where you got your info but he was named president of the line in 1993 and had been with Carnival for 35 years when he retired in 2007. That means he joined them in 1972.

Not sure where you get your info. CEO wasn't added to his title until 2003. He remained on the Board of Directors after he retired from the cruise line.

I think this is a good thing

I'm all for getting carnival back to say circa 2004

However I doubt it will happen

Unless they charge 20 % more

One can hope

The great thing today is there are so many options in cruising

From a quick cheapy to a long high end

It's all good

Exactly. Anyone can count beans and make cuts. No talent in that. Cahill has never understood cruising.

Has Cahill ever been on a cruise? Uncle Bob was on them, even went undercover as a server before that become a big thing on TV, to see how things tick.

Outside of his photo op on the Triumph, has Cahill ever been on a CCL ship?

Not sure where you get your info. CEO wasn't added to his title until 2003. He remained on the Board of Directors after he retired from the cruise line.

Even though he wasn't CEO until 2003 the point is that ever since the 70's Dickinson has had a large leadership role at Carnival. He worked alongside Ted Arison and Micky when he was CEO. So yes Dickinson was a crucial part of Carnival's success.

Uncle Bob was beyond cheap. If someone had not donated soap there wouldn't be any in the cabins. Some on here should really read his book.

I won't argue that Uncle Bob ran a tight organization. Yes back in the day you got a bar of soap in your cabin, and that was the amenity! Of course these days there is a little basket of amenities, but Carnival doesn't even pay for those. Pure advertisements on sample sizes donated by the various companies. Anyway, Uncle Bob didn't skip where it counted. Food, service, entertainment, fun, and spacious ships. These basic attributes were often better on Carnival than higher priced lines, so the perception was an incredible value. Set expectations low and have them leave the ships with expectations exceeded and wanting more. That was the basic philosophy and it worked. Unfortunately expectations today on Carnival don't seem to be met more often than not, and the excessive cost cutting and maniacal focus on the bottom line are painfully obvious. Uncle Bob proved you could run a lean operation and still provide an exceptional product/value. He knew how to find the right balance, and I don't think Cahill has the same talent.

Uncle Bob was beyond cheap. If someone had not donated soap there wouldn't be any in the cabins. Some on here should really read his book.

No Corporate doesn't micromanage - they finance the individual cruise lines and demand a certain return. As long as Corporate sees the ROI expected, they stay out of it.

Uncle Mickey only serves on the executive committee when not attending basketball games. He has very little to do with the operation of the corporation.

Wow. Just wow.

Soap and amenities were not donated. Look up "product placement" on Google for how the brand name amenities came to be in the stateroom. And I read his book

Industry press releases make it clear that Micky and Howard Frank made the decision to retain Bob. Does that sound like not being involved?

I HAVE read Mr. Dickinson's book and I do not really understand Sargent_Schultz's remark. Selling The Sea is about the corporate side of the business and how to succed in the leisure travel industry.

As cjknox has said, Mr. Dickinson had an extremely important role to play in the development of Carnival Cruise Lines and the success that the Corporation has had.

Both Mr. Ted Arison and Mr. Micky Arison were vital to CCL's success. But, Mr. Dickinson was no bit player in that success.

How about from Google. Didn't say he was named CEO in '93. The title was president. Read all the words carefully.

I can't say I am surprised at this brilliant move. I knew especially after the Triumph incident that this would possibly happen. I'm sure that Bob and Gerry will have some "heart to heart" discussions. This was a good move by Micky Arison.

In defense of Cahill though I thought that he was a brilliant CFO, but I think that the roles of CFO and CEO are very different and the type of person needed is crucial.

I think Dickinson would not have been as good of a CFO as Gerry and Gerry hasn't been as good as Bob has been in the CEO capacity. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. I think Vicki Freed should have been the successor to Dickinson.

I think Arison circa 2007 knew that Carnival was under achieving financially and margins were declining from previous years.

It's hard for the team that played instrumental roles in making Carnival an outstanding cruise line in the niche it occupies to change focus from improving the customer experience to cutting costs (ie: cutbacks) and downgrading the product.

A bean counter was needed to cut costs, one who would not be resistant to changing the dining menus from 4 courses to 3 courses, putting fried chicken, meatloaf, macaroni and cheese on the menu, cutting back on live music and quality evening shows, etc.

As Dickinson was approaching retirement age, Freed seemed to be next in line due to her experience and knowledge of Carnival. I don't think she would have embraced gutting the very line she worked so hard to build up.

Cahill was given the task of cutting costs, and in this area has done an outstanding job. Cahill has done his part, but lacks the necessary skills to run the cruise line now that the cuts have been carried out.

Unfortunately, we all see the results of cut, cut, cut....a now less than stellar line that is the bottom feeder in the cruise industry. They no longer compete with Royal Caribbean or Norwegian, but firmly occupy the cheapest price and lowest quality niche in the mass market category.

I hope that Carnival makes a comeback, but I have my doubts, even with Dickinson added as a consultant.

Unfortunately, we all see the results of cut, cut, cut....a now less than stellar line that is the bottom feeder in the cruise industry. They no longer compete with Royal Caribbean or Norwegian, but firmly occupy the cheapest price and lowest quality niche in the mass market category.

I hope that Carnival makes a comeback, but I have my doubts, even with Dickinson added as a consultant.

On this I agree 100%. Carnival used to be the innovator and the industry watched with anticipation what they would do next. Now they are a follower and not a very good one at that. An aging fleet that becomes less and less competitive with each passing year, Carnival today sells itself solely on price. They have essentially become a commodity, with price being the primary factor why people book them.

I think Arison circa 2007 knew that Carnival was under achieving financially and margins were declining from previous years.

It's hard for the team that played instrumental roles in making Carnival an outstanding cruise line in the niche it occupies to change focus from improving the customer experience to cutting costs (ie: cutbacks) and downgrading the product.

A bean counter was needed to cut costs, one who would not be resistant to changing the dining menus from 4 courses to 3 courses, putting fried chicken, meatloaf, macaroni and cheese on the menu, cutting back on live music and quality evening shows, etc.

As Dickinson was approaching retirement age, Freed seemed to be next in line due to her experience and knowledge of Carnival. I don't think she would have embraced gutting the very line she worked so hard to build up.

Cahill was given the task of cutting costs, and in this area has done an outstanding job. Cahill has done his part, but lacks the necessary skills to run the cruise line now that the cuts have been carried out.

Great insight! That said, another way to improve profits would have been to improve the product to increase demand rather than hacking the product to bits, as you aptly point out.

On this I agree 100%. Carnival used to be the innovator and the industry watched with anticipation what they would do next. Now they are a follower and not a very good one at that. An aging fleet that becomes less and less competitive with each passing year, Carnival today sells itself solely on price. They have essentially become a commodity, with price being the primary factor why people book them.

Great statement!

I won't argue that Uncle Bob ran a tight organization. Yes back in the day you got a bar of soap in your cabin, and that was the amenity! Of course these days there is a little basket of amenities, but Carnival doesn't even pay for those. Pure advertisements on sample sizes donated by the various companies. Anyway, Uncle Bob didn't skip where it counted. Food, service, entertainment, fun, and spacious ships. These basic attributes were often better on Carnival than higher priced lines, so the perception was an incredible value. Set expectations low and have them leave the ships with expectations exceeded and wanting more. That was the basic philosophy and it worked. Unfortunately expectations today on Carnival don't seem to be met more often than not, and the excessive cost cutting and maniacal focus on the bottom line are painfully obvious. Uncle Bob proved you could run a lean operation and still provide an exceptional product/value. He knew how to find the right balance, and I don't think Cahill has the same talent.

I sailed on my first Carnival cruise after many sailings on other lines, Royal Viking, HAL, Sitmar, Princess, Pacific Far East Line, Cunard being the highlights--in that order.

My expectations were not great. I booked a veranda cabin in order to get away from the mayham, if needed. My friends, when I told them what I had booked, were incredulous. What are you thinking? In fact, I had a travel agent who refused to book me on a Carnival cruise. "You will not like it, Bob," I kept hearing. After she retired, I booked it with her replacement.

It was a wonderful cruise! It was even during Spring Vacation and the young people I met/observed were having a good time and this senior citizen enjoyed their company and I believe they enjoyed mine.

The formula that the Company has used--start with lower expectations and disembark guests who have a totally different view--works!

I have returned. And, I would like to return, particularly to try the Dream, Breeze, Magic. A brochure showing me my options would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome back Uncle Bob! This is great news... bring our favorite cruiseline back to the good quality it was when it started my addictions...

And bring back the fun... such as the silly little hurricane glasses that we all love for our sailway :D

It would be very interesting to see what Carnival would have looked like today if she was made CEO.

I remember reading somewhere that she left Carnival and went to Royal Caribbean because she was passed up for the CEO position. Is that correct?

It would be very interesting to see what Carnival would have looked like today if she was made CEO.

I remember reading somewhere that she left Carnival and went to Royal Caribbean because she was passed up for the CEO position. Is that correct?

They lost someone with a lot of experience and knowledge when they let her get away.

I believe that to be the case, and that's the only explanation that makes sense.

Why else would she leave after being at Carnival for almost 30 years? The fact the she left so soon after Gerry became CEO was also something that made me think that too.

They lost someone with a lot of experience and knowledge when they let her get away.

I totally agree.

At the onset of that announcement, I mentioned my dismay here on CC.

It certainly has played in the good favor of another line to have absorbed not only a great competitive executive . . . but a Godmother of Carnival Sensation.

.......... Some on here should really read his book.

Sargent_Schultz,

I have read his book as well as quite a few others on the topic of Carnival Corp.

As a shareholder and someone who believes in the product that Carnival has provided and will continue to provide, I am VERY pleased to see Bob Dickinson will be lending his expertise to navigate the stormy seas Carnival is facing.

Bob Dickinson's time at the helm with the title of CEO may have been brief, but his wisdom behind the scenes spans the majority of Carnival's existence. I seriously doubt that Carnival would be the dominant player they are today without his tenure there.

There are men with ideas and men who know how to get things done while not alienating supporters; Bob Dickinson knows how to get things done and how to build brand loyalty.

Archived