Bob Dickinson's back?

Yes I get. You and many others preferred the old Carnival. What you and many others don't get is that there are just as many that prefer the new Carnival. I mean for the love of Pete you have people still crying about brochures. It is 2013....the internet has changed things. Brochures are a thing of the past like dinosuars. Deal with it or find another cruise line. :D

some people like generic brands and store labels too. i do get it. and on a foodcritic.com message board i would have no problem discussing that either.

but apparently their own company agrees with those that like carnival pre 2008 (ii would move that up to pre 2012 when they started butchering everything). their cheap fares have cost them revenue, and lost revenue keeps creating more cuts, and they've ended up in a class by themselves no longer even able to compete with their two closest competitors on product, other than their ships float. Tthat leaves them as the cheap line with the cheap experience.

and those brochures? i spent many an hour looking throiugh them before my first cruise in 1986, and still have them. they are a treasure trove, and certainly would be more useful now that there are unique experiences ship specific. those visuals still work wonders, even though kathie lee looks nothing like that anymore. .

come to think of it, neither do i.

There unfortunately may be more wrong in the House that the Arisons built than we realize. After checking the P & O (UK) and Cunard Message Boards, Peter Shanks of Cunard and Carol Marlowe are being allowed to depart. There have apparently been some marketing mis-steps for the P & O brand. I am not clear about Cunard, but some posters there are not saddened to see him depart.

While Mr. Dickinson's stated role in the press release is to work with the North American brands, one has to wonder what is also happening across the Pond.

Keep in mind that just because your travel agent didn't recommend Carnival for you, doesn't mean that Carnival didn't enjoy an excellent relationship with the travel agent community. They did, and most of that was thanks to Dickinson who always supported the agent community. Any really good travel agent will recommend the cruise line they feel best suits their client, even if it means giving up a commission override or booking a line they don't have a preferred relationship with. If they are only out for the commission, they are not a very good agent.

There is no doubt that back in the day Carnival had a party reputation and this was difficult for travel agents to sell to anyone that didn't fit that mould. Dickinson also can be credited with helping Carnival shed that reputation to become more of a family oriented line, which is a smart move as families are where the $$ is.

Even today Carnival has the stereotype with many (who haven't sailed the line) as being the line for party animals. For the most part this is hardly true, and the fact is that Carnival is more of a kid friendly line than anything. Frankly it's become a bit too vanilla for me, and I long for the days when it was a bit more racy and not so overrun with kids ... but that is just me. :-)

True, I could have used a travel agency that steered people to RCCL on our second cruise. Starting with our third cruise I have used a PVP with just a couple exceptions. Thinking about going back to a TA that we met on our last Dream cruise.

We don't have small children so we cruise when the lil darlings are in school (Oct, Jan-Feb and May).:D In fact, when we took our grandson with us on the Legend, there were hardly any kids onboard. This past April we took three grandkids and there were a lot of little kids because of Spring Break.

Read what I wrote. "Most that loved Carnival do not". That indicates the past tense. If we used to love Carnival and no longer do, that would likely constitute that "most" are not happy with the changes. Get it?

Revenues are down at Carnival no doubt, and to a much smaller extent at NCL and Royal Caribbean which have been able to raise yields. Obviously they are doing something right. Unfortunately Carnival has tarnished the entire industry but none more than themselves.

As someone else posted, these 2.0 enhancements are mostly a smokescreen for cutbacks. If you can't see that you're blind. As I mentioned before a good burger is not a reason to book a cruise. I can get that at home. You say you don't care about live entertainment. Good for you. Then turn on the radio. I do like live entertainment as it's not something I have playing in my house. I love listening to a good band out on deck or in a lounge. It's not something I have everyday and it sure beats listening to hip-hop blaring in the atrium or by the pool all day. I can blast my stereo at home.

Where is the Like button?

One of the more memorable statements that Uncle Bob has in his book is that all cruise lines sell illusions. Not to be confused with reality.

Didn't Carnival also recently fire their ad agency?

Now they bring back the magician of marketing. But only part time for Carnival, the cruise line.

I suspect we will see an ad blitz, extremely minor changes, if any, and for Uncle Bob to be retired again within a year.

PT Barnum would be delighted with some people's perception of drastic changes are just around the corner.

Sheehan has been in charge a year less than Cahill

The length of time Sheehan has been in charge is not the question. The facts are that he went through the same type of criticism when he made changes in NCL that kept them from going under.

Cahill is making changes in Carnival that will hopefully keep them from getting into the financial bind that NCL went through. Those who are affected don't like it and are very vocal, but time will tell if the correct moves are being made.

Uncle Bob coming back as a consultant is a smart PR move by CCL. Some may call it "window dressing".

The upper level changes being made by CCL indicates they are looking to the future. If the board considered Cahill the problem, he would be gone long ago.

So glad to hear Uncle Bob is back! We have always loved cruising on Carnival although with all the cutbacks the last few years, cruising has just not been the same. If anyone can help salavge "this sinking ship", Bob Dickinson is the man that can do it.

Please bring back the live music!!!:)

The length of time Sheehan has been in charge is not the question. The facts are that he went through the same type of criticism when he made changes in NCL that kept them from going under.

I'm not so sure Carnival and NCL were in similar positions when they had their management changes. When Dickinson left Carnival it was in an excellent financial position, with a tenured management team that knew exactly how to run a successful cruise line. Cahill came in and cleaned house, and we know where Carnival is today.

In the case of NCL, Veitch came from Princess to run NCL, and bet too much on one market ... Hawaii. It really put NCL in a venerable position and they were hemorrhaging $$$. Bring on Apollo, a private equity firm which infused cash into NCL but also brought in their own management team which included Sheehan. Sheehan is largely responsible for saving a sinking ship. He quickly canceled a second Epic Class, and pulled two ships out of Hawaii to the International market where they could make more $$. Unfortunately Cahill has had just the opposite effect on CCL since he came onboard. Its been one disaster after another.

not that i ever followed sheehan that closely, but i never remember anyone criticing his actions, right down to making the gem a one only offering

and he really won me over on undercover boss. never heard him or any subordinate of his criticize or put down one of his customers.

One of the more memorable statements that Uncle Bob has in his book is that all cruise lines sell illusions. Not to be confused with reality.

Didn't Carnival also recently fire their ad agency?

Now they bring back the magician of marketing. But only part time for Carnival, the cruise line.

I suspect we will see an ad blitz, extremely minor changes, if any, and for Uncle Bob to be retired again within a year.

PT Barnum would be delighted with some people's perception of drastic changes are just around the corner.

+1. Those that think they are bringing Bob back to bring back the old Carnival are delusional. The only reason they are bringing Bob is because they have a PR and credibility problem because of the recent events. It has nothing to do with today's product.

I wish Mr. Dickinson the best in his review and future recommendations. My opinion is new management tried to fix things that weren't broken. Alienating long term customers was a non starter, and then managements performance in the face of several "incidents" was dismal.

Agreed and well put.

The only reason they are bringing Bob is because they have a PR and credibility problem because of the recent events. It has nothing to do with today's product.

Yes Carnival has a PR and credibility problem. Seems even the cheerleaders can agree on this. Don't be so sure about changes to the product. They may not come from Bob, but I think they will come. Does it mean going back to the old Carnival? Of course not and frankly I would not want that. Many aspects of the old Carnival were excellent, but not everything was rosy. What the old Carnival got right was the basics ... excellent food, service, and entertainment at an excellent value. Expectations were almost always exceeded. Somewhere along the line under Cahill they lost touch with the basics and we now have the smokescreen of Carnival 2.0. What a joke, especially compared to what the competition is bringing out. It's like a bandaid. People used to book Carnival because they loved Carnival. Now they book Carnival because it's cheap. Not a good thing.

Yes Carnival has a PR and credibility problem. Seems even the cheerleaders can agree on this. Don't be so sure about changes to the product. They may not come from Bob, but I think they will come. Does it mean going back to the old Carnival? Of course not and frankly I would not want that. Many aspects of the old Carnival were excellent, but not everything was rosy. What the old Carnival got right was the basics ... excellent food, service, and entertainment at an excellent value. Expectations were almost always exceeded. Somewhere along the line under Cahill they lost touch with the basics and we now have the smokescreen of Carnival 2.0. What a joke, especially compared to what the competition is bringing out. It's like a bandaid. People used to book Carnival because they loved Carnival. Now they book Carnival because it's cheap. Not a good thing.

I hope the all mighty Mr. S.S can agree with this

Me too!!!

I may do them before fixes after some other cruises for filler as well as things improve in my availability.....or on a last minute at these temp prices..but for a nice planned trip with my family...these were my complainta exactly along with quality and freshness of all food...dismal to not get a drink with for your diner wait and wine with it..cold dinner and wait until forever if anything is missed...have to wait for it and then gobble it down so one can move on.....many salt of earth people are not going to complain abt that but it is terrilble...

Almost all other mainstream North American sold ship lines offer a lot more now, many at only slightly more...

Great Maggie...Me too...

"What I would like to see on Carnival that would bring me back:

1. Better entertainment. I wasn't happy about the one dark night on the Dream plus passenger entertainment on some other nights. I prefer the Broadway-style shows with singers and dancers and a live band.

2. Bring back the old dining room waiter/asst. waiter system. This new system with one head waiter and 2 asst. waiters is not working. We barely saw any of the waiters because they were too busy! No time to ask for missing baked potato condiments, etc. let alone time for even the most basic talking ("What would you recommend?" not a life history).

3. Drink waiter in the dining room is pathetic. You shouldn't have to wait until dessert for someone to ask you if you want a drink. We started carrying in our own drinks because it was so bad.

4. Lido was WAY TOO LOUD. I don't care about DJ vs. live band, but turn the volume down. I stayed away from the Lido on our last trip because it was

so loud.

Entertainment and food were our big disappointments last cruise. That is why we are moving to other lines who still value those things.

Maggie "

Yup I fell for it. All the Fun Ship 2.0 additions to their ships don't cost anything. They just sprinkle some fairy dust and vala!

Burgers may have replaced burgers, but Guy Fiere is a pretty well know celebrity chef. And George Lopez he's a pretty famous actor/comedian in case you didn't know. Getting those brands to sign on isn't cheap.:rolleyes:

Turning a sitdown breakfast in the mdr and a sit down lunch in the mdr, into a Brunch... is a cutback. Took two meals, changed it to one. Not everyone likes the comedy brunch or eating at the buffet, especially since the choices there have also changed dramatically. The buffet used to be an experience, so many new foods to try... not it is just... well... a buffet.

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Dickinson-talks-about-new-Carnival-role/

Bob Dickinson is not coming back to do anything more than to repair the brand image and repair relationships with travel agents, or attempt to.

Cahill went BALLISTIC when this was announced on Friday. Good for him!

AWW I fill for the poor baby. Did he lay on the floor and had a temper tantrum????

http://www.travelweekly.com/Cruise-Travel/Dickinson-talks-about-new-Carnival-role/

Bob Dickinson is not coming back to do anything more than to repair the brand image and repair relationships with travel agents, or attempt to.

Cahill went BALLISTIC when this was announced on Friday. Good for him!

I know, we were sitting there chatting about all the great cuts he made to save the company boat loads of cash when the phone rang and Vicki Freed of all people told him about Uncle Bob.

If looks could kill.....:rolleyes:

Bill

Carnival's welcoming Bob Dickinson back....

Seatrade broke this news tonight. Link is here: http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/carnival-corp-taps-dickinson-as-special-consultant.html

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Best news yet for the industry and for Carnival Corp companies in particular! Back when Bob was CEO the worry was about the the cruise business becoming commoditized where the competition is based on price and brands are not clearly differentiated. [The act of making a process, good or service easy to obtain by making it as uniform, plentiful and affordable as possible.] Well that's exactly what cruising has become.

Dickinson tells it like it is and speaks his mind. If anyone can clear up the confusion of brands and get Carnival Corp back to a company with clearly differentiated brands and products, it's Bob Dickinson.

And they should bring Vicki Freed home to the Carnival family!

Archived