Really stupid question re: Drinking Water

blaidd ddrwg

Yes, I know, this is probably stupid, but I'll ask anyway.

How is the tap water onboard? I drink an insane amount of water on a regular day, and being in the water and sun and breezes, I know I'll drink more. Instead of always buying or carrying multiple bottles of water, I'd love to just refill my Tervis when on deck. Is this doable? Does the water taste okay?

Thanks!

I'm glad you asked this question, because I'm a big water drinker, too.

Also - love your user name, Bad Wolf!

chengkp75, thanks so much for the tip to put a clean napkin around a clean glass when dispensing ice, water, etc. on the Lido deck. I usually stay away from these dispensers because the germs from people refilling their previously used personal cups and bottles really freak me out. I cant believe I never thought of this and I never saw anyone else do it this way. I'm excited I can now use the Lido ice machine. Yay!

chengkp75, thanks so much for the tip to put a clean napkin around a clean glass when dispensing ice, water, etc. on the Lido deck. I usually stay away from these dispensers because the germs from people refilling their previously used personal cups and bottles really freak me out. I cant believe I never thought of this and I never saw anyone else do it this way. I'm excited I can now use the Lido ice machine. Yay!

Because of the large number of people who refill their water bottles directly from public dispensing machines, I drink the bottled water provided in my cabin. For $20/ wk. I can imbibe safe, uninfected, germ free H2O.

Pax take a huge risk by refilling their personal bottles at the public water stations.

While not someone who gets all worked up over germs and nasties (I work in an engine room!), after the USPH training I could feel things crawling over me!

Seriously, it has made me a big believer in the no-touch towel dispensers, and no-touch drink dispensers. I haven't been on any of the newer ships, but I'm hoping they are going this way. People that dig their glass into an ice maker's ice bin is also frowned on by the USPH.

I fill a fresh cup, then use the cup to refill my own tumbler. That way I'm not using a "used" cup on the water dispenser.

The water on Paradise was fine.

That's the correct way to do it. Some lines, those that have a staff member standing by the dispenser, will require a new glass each time you get water, even if it you need two glasses to fill the tumbler. Especially, if you let the glass touch the tumbler, you should not put that glass back under the dispenser.

I fill a fresh cup, then use the cup to refill my own tumbler. That way I'm not using a "used" cup on the water dispenser.

The water on Paradise was fine.

I do that too but if others are not doing it, then we are in danger of getting others' germs. That's why chengkp75's tip is a good one to save oneself too.:D

Anyone with questions about water on board should look at the pic in this thread. Pic is about 3/4 of the way down.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1837756&page=3

And yes I realize the post is from a royal ship but every time someone says the water on board is cleaner than what is at their home I always think of this pic. Will this water harm you? Probably not but I still don't want to drink it.

The water tastes better from the ice/water dispenser on Lido than in the room or MDR. It seems to be that way on many ships. I drink a lot of water at dinner and ended up taking bottled water to dinner each evening. It does have a taste so personally I would take the water with and if you can handle the tap water then fine, if not you can stock up at each port.

This is funny as I have the totally reverse reaction...the water on Lido is ok but in the MDR I drink it like it's going out of style...to me it is better than the bottled water we drink at home..JMHO:D

This is funny as I have the totally reverse reaction...the water on Lido is ok but in the MDR I drink it like it's going out of style...to me it is better than the bottled water we drink at home..JMHO:D

Usually, the dispensers that the wait staff use to fill their pitchers for the MDR have the same carbon filters as the Lido. As I've said, water taste is VERY subjective.

I too drink a huge amount of water. When I took my first cruise last year I was worried about the water on board as well. I found it to be of excellent quality, better than city tap water.

Water is actually not bad I enjoyed it

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

Yes, I know, this is probably stupid, but I'll ask anyway.

How is the tap water onboard? I drink an insane amount of water on a regular day, and being in the water and sun and breezes, I know I'll drink more. Instead of always buying or carrying multiple bottles of water, I'd love to just refill my Tervis when on deck. Is this doable? Does the water taste okay?

Thanks!

I am a Water Drinker..........

Sometimes the Ship water taste like water down lemonade.......

You might want to bring Water..........

Usually, the dispensers that the wait staff use to fill their pitchers for the MDR have the same carbon filters as the Lido. As I've said, water taste is VERY subjective.

I just saw your other post and thought it was worth posting here for those interested. I hope you don't mind. I just thought others might find it interesting.

Posted by chengkp75:

Anyone who tells you that the water on a cruise ship does not have chlorine in it is seriously misinformed. When the water is produced by the ship's evaporators or RO units, it is chlorinated to a minimum of 2ppm, and when water is taken from shore, it is chlorinated to a minimum of 2ppm, both before the water goes into the storage tank. Because residual halogens (chlorine) will break down over time, the water that is circulated throughout the ship (the same water for cabins, Lido, or restaurants and bars), must be chlorinated to maintain a residual chlorine content of 0.2-0.5ppm at the farthest point from the chemical injection (usually monitored on the bridge). This is required by the USPH service. Chlorine is a factor in water retention as well as sodium, so this may explain the change in water retention when switching to bottled water.

I had never heard of illness or allergy to chlorine before.

Folks, the water on ships is not "filtered". It is either produced by an evaporator, which produces distilled water, or by a Reverse Osmosis unit, which forces water molecules through a permeable membrane, on the assumption that salt molecules are larger than water molecules, and therefore will not pass through. However, ANYTHING the size of water, or smaller CAN and does pass through the membrane. RO water, when chlorinated, is safe to drink, but unlike the water produced by the evaporators, will have some minerals and other things in it, which will produce a taste.

The chlorine in the water will form a "scale" on the inside of any pipe material that is used to distribute the water throughout the ship. This scale normally stays in place, but when the water is shut down for a period, say for repair to a pipe, it tends to dry out and fall off the pipe. This can cause a white milky coloration to the water, or the yellow/orange color noted in the tub. As the water, except in small branch lines to each cabin, is constantly circulating, this will normally clear up within minutes.

Chlorine tends to make the water basic (opposite of acidic), and therefore, acid is also dosed to the water to keep the Ph levels correct (another USPH requirement). If this acid dosing gets out of control, well below the point where it becomes dangerous to drink, it will start to leach copper out of any copper piping, and this can also cause the yellow/orange discoloration.

Many people say that they can taste a difference between cabin water and Lido water. This is mostly because the water dispensers and ice makers have carbon filters on them to remove the chlorine taste. This is basically what a Brita filter does, and now that Brita makes filters for sports bottles, this is what I would select.

I understand but if you can ask for ice or out ice in your cup at dinner or in your cabin then you can drink the water. If your use to drinking tap water then continue.

I understand but if you can ask for ice or out ice in your cup at dinner or in your cabin then you can drink the water. If your use to drinking tap water then continue.

I don't think it is about CAN you drink the water but more about personal preference. I don't drink tap water from my own home. We have very hard water and even though it is city water it has a bad smell when left to sit for any length of time. If I leave something to soak in the washer for a few hours, if I forget and then go back and restart it my whole house will smell. But I'm sure plenty of people drink it, I just chose to purchase bottled water.

I don't think it is about CAN you drink the water but more about personal preference. I don't drink tap water from my own home. We have very hard water and even though it is city water it has a bad smell when left to sit for any length of time. If I leave something to soak in the washer for a few hours, if I forget and then go back and restart it my whole house will smell. But I'm sure plenty of people drink it, I just chose to purchase bottled water.

Right I totally understand because I don't drink tap but I was just saying for the ppl that do drink tap water in a reg basic

When I was on the Mariner I had a really hard time drinking the water.. It did not taste right.. I tend to drink lots of bottled water but can handle water from the Tap if it has been filtered with Brita or Pur and is cold! I am thinking I should bring water on the Magic in July! How many bottles or what size am I allowed to carry on? There will be 4 of us! :D TIA

When I was on the Mariner I had a really hard time drinking the water.. It did not taste right.. I tend to drink lots of bottled water but can handle water from the Tap if it has been filtered with Brita or Pur and is cold! I am thinking I should bring water on the Magic in July! How many bottles or what size am I allowed to carry on? There will be 4 of us! :D TIA

That's what I need to know as well it's only 2 of us

I think it's 12 bottles/cans per person. But I don't think they really care as long as it isn't alcohol.

I just saw your other post and thought it was worth posting here for those interested. I hope you don't mind. I just thought others might find it interesting.

No problem. I try to stay away from the "what's better", "which line is better", or subjective threads about service and amenities. I try to run through the boards looking for threads that I can add some technical experience to, in order to help people understand the amazing creation a cruise ship is.

No problem. I try to stay away from the "what's better", "which line is better", or subjective threads about service and amenities. I try to run through the boards looking for threads that I can add some technical experience to, in order to help people understand the amazing creation a cruise ship is.

I think that is a great point. We are so used to seeing these cruise ships that we forget how amazing these floating cities really are. I watched a 4-5 hour documentary on the titanic and how it was built. It is amazing how far technology has come in just 100 years. I know I personally find it interesting when someone posts real knowledge about how the various things on a ship operate.

Archived