Disembarking Explorer in New Jersey

I am looking at a 12:40 flight home from New Jersey after getting off Explorer in October. We have always booked a 12 or 1pm flight home from all of our other cruises. This is the first time we are flying home from New Jersey. I have had 2 different people at Royal tell me that I shouldn't be booking any earlier that 2pm. When I try to fill out the on line check in form, it also wont let me fill in a 12:40 flight.

What is so different about this cruise that requires a later flight time? Is 12:40 really too early?? I don't want to book a 4:30pm fligt and then be sitting at the airport for hours on end. I''m quite confused over this.

Thanks in advance!

Have been on Explorer 4x over the past 5 years and don't think you should have a problem making a 12:40pm flight as long as the ship arrives on time back in Bayonne and there aren't any problems clearing customs.

Just from our personal experience, we have disembarked much later that we normally disembark at the Florida ports, probably around 9am and we are priority disembarkation. It may have something to do with the Longshoreman not touching bags until a certain time of the day but I really don't know the answer for the later disembarkation. If you take your own luggage off the ship or get an early number I am sure you could make that flight no matter what. Newark is only maybe 30 minutes by cab so a 12:40 flight should not be a problem.

I'd think that would be within reason as well... as Newark isn't too far away. I guess it all depends on how much risk you're willing to incur. Perhaps you could bolster confidence by planning to carry your own bags off to get off first thing?

Judy

Thanks for the replies. I think we may book the 12:40 flight and take our chances. I sure don't want to be sitting at the airport waiting for the next flight at 4:35pm. If it wasn't for our frequent flier miles, I might be looking somewhere other than Delta.

We were on Explorer in March and we had #2 tags. We were off the ship and did a 2 hour drive home. We were home before 1pm.

The first hour was for self disembark people. Per their schedule the times for self disembark were 8:30 - 9:30am. There was a limited # of people allowed to self disembark. You had to sign up at Guest Services for that option. (The required shuttle bus ride to the terminal was probably a factor here) Tags #1,2, and 3 were called at 9:30. #1 #2 were for Suites, Pinnacle, D+. #3 was for early transfers. #4 was scheduled for 9:45.

As noted by others, unless there is a big delay getting the ship into port I would think you would be fine.

Self disembark people..........not to go against the rules.....But I have never seen them check for tags in Bayonne when getting off the ship when carrying your own luggage off the ship. No need to sign up either.

What are they going to tell you when leaving the ship with your luggage anyway. Oh you can't get off now you don't have a tag?

They want you off any way , just get off! Also if you want to get off as soon as possible be prepared to take the stairs rather then the elevators. They will be packed. Alot of people in Bayonne Carry Off. More then most ships you have ever been on. Alot of repeat cruisers also, which live within driving distance of the ship.

Jimbo:)

Explorer can't dock until 8:00am by contract with the Longshoreman's Union. However, you should have no problem making that flight, especially if you walk off. Clearing customs is usually easy in Bayonne. I didn't even have to wait in May. On other cruises on the Explorer, I've never waited more than 5 minutes.

Have a great cruise.

Looks like it self disembark for us.

Our flight choices were 12:40 or 4:35 - all I kept thinking was the 12:40 flight would have us back in Michigan and unpacking before the later flight even took off :eek:

Thanks for all the responses, Cruise Critic people are the best!

If you want to do this, I recommend walking off. We were on the Explorer last month (loved it FWIW, don't miss sail away party, trust me). Anywho, we arrived in port around 8 and though we had luggage tag 2, they didn't call us until 9:30. And they lost our luggage. I would have been a nervous wreck if we were trying to find out luggage and get out of there.

Archived