Rougher seas for transatlantic crossing

turquoise 6

On a QM2 west-bound trans-Atlantic in May 2011 we had several days of thick fog (on one day, standing a little forward of the illuminated "Queen Mary 2" sign on Deck 12, I couldn't see the massive funnel above me).

Every 90 seconds the fog horn sounded.

(here's a short video:

QM2 turn UP the volume...
)

Hello Pepperrn

Thanks That's a great video and the horn too

Looks like your right off the spa & gym

Hello Pepperrn Thanks That's a great video and the horn too Looks like your right off the spa & gym
Thank you turquoise 6 :o . Yes, you're right about the location :) .

It was the echo of the horn as the sound died away that got to me... every 90 seconds... wonderful, evocative...

Thanks again,

Thank you turquoise 6 :o . Yes, you're right about the location :) .

It was the echo of the horn as the sound died away that got to me... every 90 seconds... wonderful, evocative...

Thanks again,

The really scary thing is when you are in a small craft out at sea in thick fog..

Imagine that 'evocative' noise you hear getting ever closer, then you can hear the very, very deep pulsating throbs from the propellers as it gets closer.. You have absolutely no idea where it is, its true direction of travel and they have absolutely no idea of your presence!!!

I think it fair to suggest it concentrates the mind, the worse ones are unladen cargo ships that used to have the tip of the propeller coming out of the water. The thwack of the blade would really vibrate against the side of the boat as the thing got near!! Happy days

I have no idea it's every 2 minutes. The first time I heard the signal was in the middle of the night. I was half asleep and didn't notice the frequency. Anyway, I have the feeling that I lost the sense of time on the cruise. :D

The fog signal rule is "at least every 2 minutes" so QM2, at every 90 seconds would be within the rules. Did we expect any different? QM2 Officers are among the World's best.:D:D

The fog signal rule is "at least every 2 minutes" so QM2, at every 90 seconds would be within the rules. Did we expect any different? QM2 Officers are among the World's best.:D:D

What is the range of the fog horns on the QM2

The really scary thing is when you are in a small craft out at sea in thick fog..

Imagine that 'evocative' noise you hear getting ever closer, then you can hear the very, very deep pulsating throbs from the propellers as it gets closer.. You have absolutely no idea where it is, its true direction of travel and they have absolutely no idea of your presence!!!

I think it fair to suggest it concentrates the mind, the worse ones are unladen cargo ships that used to have the tip of the propeller coming out of the water. The thwack of the blade would really vibrate against the side of the boat as the thing got near!! Happy days

This true for big ships too!

Hi Pepper,

My husband and I have read your reviews, the one for the QM2 brought us back on board :) although we just came back home on Monday form the TA. We are still on the high and keep on checking the Cunard website to see which cruise we should book next. But we enjoyed the TA very much and want to book it again, hubby talked about the world cruise but we are both have a day time job and it's just not possible for us to take 3 months off! :(

And.... all the beautiful photos, very impressive!!!! Did you take all the photos? Some of the photos are in different cabins and different places on the ship, which is empty without any people, how can you get access to them? More importantly, what camera did you use?

The QM2 tech notes agree that 10 miles is the nominal range of the fog horns. Of the QM2's four whistles the one at the bow and the one on the mast are the "fog horns". You can hear them here (buffering the video is slow sometimes).

The QM2 tech notes agree that 10 miles is the nominal range of the fog horns. Of the QM2's four whistles the one at the bow and the one on the mast are the "fog horns". You can hear them here (buffering the video is slow sometimes).

Cool!

My husband came across a technician and talked with him for a while. He told my hubby that the smoke is only for show. Anyone knows if it's for real or only a show?

I had read 10 miles. Atmospheric conditions can cause mileage to vary.:D
So very true and it sounds silly but they are also fairly directional. As opposed to a bell!
This true for big ships too
Hi Turquoise Big ships tend to give big echos on the radar screen. ;)

There are regulations and recommendations for smaller craft and radar reflectors. I am way, way out of date but my experience of small craft is the boat itself was all but invisible on a ship's radar and there was nowhere to hang a reflector. (my rule of the road was.... If it is bigger than you.......... Don't argue) ;);)

From the comfort of my bed I can close my eyes and still hear the very deep thrashing of a large ship's propeller and now I can smile as I reminisce :):)

Cool!

My husband came across a technician and talked with him for a while. He told my hubby that the smoke is only for show. Anyone knows if it's for real or only a show?

Only for show. Queen Mary's whistles used high pressure steam; Queen Mary 2 has no high pressure steam so her whistles use compressed air, including the starboard one on the funnel which came from Queen Mary and was modified to use compressed air. BTW that one is the loudest and it's the last one blown at noon.

So very true and it sounds silly but they are also fairly directional. As opposed to a bell!

Hi Turquoise Big ships tend to give big echos on the radar screen. ;)

There are regulations and recommendations for smaller craft and radar reflectors. I am way, way out of date but my experience of small craft is the boat itself was all but invisible on a ship's radar and there was nowhere to hang a reflector. (my rule of the road was.... If it is bigger than you.......... Don't argue) ;);)

From the comfort of my bed I can close my eyes and still hear the very deep thrashing of a large ship's propeller and now I can smile as I reminisce :):)

Well said! You haven't lost your sense of sea

• 2 months later...
Hi Pepper,

My husband and I have read your reviews, the one for the QM2 brought us back on board :) although we just came back home on Monday form the TA. We are still on the high and keep on checking the Cunard website to see which cruise we should book next. But we enjoyed the TA very much and want to book it again, hubby talked about the world cruise but we are both have a day time job and it's just not possible for us to take 3 months off! :( And.... all the beautiful photos, very impressive!!!! Did you take all the photos? Some of the photos are in different cabins and different places on the ship, which is empty without any people, how can you get access to them? More importantly, what camera did you use?

Hi Yoshikitty,

Sorry, only just found this post and your questions! Please excuse the delay in writing, so sorry :o .

So glad you liked the photos, yes I took them myself (with only a couple of exceptions where family or friend took one or two).

I carefully booked different types/grades of QM2 cabins on each of my early voyage so I could photograph them for the flickr site.

As for the ship being empty when I took many of the photographs, I get up very early, sometimes VERY early so I can get clear shots of the interiors of the QM2 (and QE/QV). Sometimes I've been careful and waited until a crew member was out of shot. Or come back another morning to get the shot I want.

I've never had special access to take pictures or anything like that.

There are several cameras I've used over the years. All, except one, are very simple point and shoot cameras. Most of the photos were taken on an old Sony camera, with a great zoom, simple to use, and my favourite camera.

Sorry again to be so long in replying :o .

All best wishes to you, thank you again, and happy sailings for the future.

Don't even talk about rough seas for these January transatlantic crossings as this will be my wife's first experience of life afloat and mountainous seas might not be the best introduction?

I did a TA in both November and again in December of 2012. Most days completely unremarkable seas / weather. We did have a 1-2 day stretch with maximum winds of 90 mph and seas that topped at 38 feet. Even that only had minimal effect on the Queen. If you (or your wife) are concerned just take the seasickness pill of choice, take a nap or two and you should be just fine.

If you have not have a cabin yet? -- go for midship and lower decks for less movement

Yes...what suprised me on the July 1 QM2 voyage was that the fog horn was seldom used - just a couple of toots every now and again - despite that we spent much time englufed by fog both day and night (which was fine with me as it was almost ethereal).

I know not everyone likes the sound of a fog horn, but in a fog, I not only expect to hear it, but also enjoy it. I'm still wondering why the fog horn was not in use when visabilty was so low. Perhaps passengers complain about the sound, so its' use is limited??? -S.

Yes...what suprised me on the July 1 QM2 voyage was that the fog horn was seldom used - just a couple of toots every now and again - despite that we spent much time englufed by fog both day and night (which was fine with me as it was almost ethereal). I know not everyone likes the sound of a fog horn, but in a fog, I not only expect to hear it, but also enjoy it. I'm still wondering why the fog horn was not in use when visabilty was so low. Perhaps passengers complain about the sound, so its' use is limited??? -S.
Hi Salacia,

I was told, so long ago I forget when/where/by whom, that if the radar shows no ships anywhere within a very large distance, commercial shipping doesn't use the fog horn. Only when other ships are relatively "near" is it used. Please don't take that as "the truth", I may well be wrong (not for the first time). This would explain your experience. I would hope (please?) that passenger complaints have no effect on the navigation or safety of any vessel. But with lawyers & litigation these days, you never know... :eek:

Best wishes,

Hi Salacia,

I was told, so long ago I forget when/where/by whom, that if the radar shows no ships anywhere within a very large distance, commercial shipping doesn't use the fog horn. Only when other ships are relatively "near" is it used. Please don't take that as "the truth", I may well be wrong (not for the first time). This would explain your experience. I would hope (please?) that passenger complaints have no effect on the navigation or safety of any vessel. But with lawyers & litigation these days, you never know... :eek:

Best wishes,

Hi Pepper. Yes, that was also my understanding. But then I read that small boats don't show always show on the radar, but perhaps that might not apply to the radar on QM2?* I just hope passenger's complaints (and man, have I heard them complain about the fog horn) does not limit its use in certain conditions - like dense fog with zero visability! I know some passengers are disturbed by the sound but they need to get over it if they want to sail safely on a ship at sea! <end of rant>

Regards, S.

*If only all boats stayed out of commercial shipping routes, but the route the ship takes for the NE/Canada cruise that I referenced is not as clear of smaller crafts as is the trans-Altantic route.

I just hope passenger's complaints (and man, have I heard them complain about the fog horn) does not limit its use in certain conditions - like dense fog with zero visability! I know some passengers are disturbed by the sound but they need to get over it if they want to sail safely on a ship at sea! <end of rant> Regards, S.
Hi Salacia,

Couldn't agree more! :) . Very well said.

Best wishes,

Do people complain about the ship's horn? :rolleyes:

Wow....okay, so I suppose all that's left for us to do is hope & pray that enough of them don't mention the horn in their end of voyage feedback cards otherwise the ships horn will go the way of the dress code. :eek:

Hi Pepper. Yes, that was also my understanding. But then I read that small boats don't show always show on the radar, but perhaps that might not apply to the radar on QM2?* I just hope passenger's complaints (and man, have I heard them complain about the fog horn) does not limit its use in certain conditions - like dense fog with zero visability! I know some passengers are disturbed by the sound but they need to get over it if they want to sail safely on a ship at sea! <end of rant>

Regards, S.

*If only all boats stayed out of commercial shipping routes, but the route the ship takes for the NE/Canada cruise that I referenced is not as clear of smaller crafts as is the trans-Altantic route.

Thanks pepper and I am amazed to read that, common sense tells me you are correct but common sense also say that this reason is criminal!!!!!

The English Channel is an extremely busy stretch of water and sadly it is not uncommon for small craft to be run down by larger ships that never even saw them. The days of diligent watchkeeping seem to be long pass. In another life I enjoyed deep sea angling and if we were caught out by heavy mist or thick fog we would listen out for the very deep beat of a ship's propeller as it vibrated against the side of our boat. An eerie feeling as you would have no sense of where the ship was coming from and sometimes they would pass by quite close and we would see them, other times the noise would just slowly die down. In perfect flat, calm conditions there is a small chance that a small craft might be detected but with a swell running then the only rule of the road is to keep clear of any big ship as they can kill!!!!!

Archived