YVR to downtown via SkyTrain (Day Pass versus FareSaver) + Concession?

Ok, I've done some searching (both on the forums and all over the SkyTrain site). Can someone help me figure best option?

We arrive on a Thursday about 11:15 a.m. We are staying at the Comfort Inn (Nelson Street). We will exit train at City Center and walk. That part I'm all good with!

Options

Option 1:

We have a 14/15 year old daughter/son + 2 adults. As we are arriving mid-day I considered the "day pass" to allow us to jump on/off the bus (or train) to do something in the city for dinner that evening (or at least take the train one more stop to see the port area for the next day's boarding).

The day pass will be $9.75 for the 2 adults and $ 7.50 for the teens? Although they don't have "ID" to prove (DS does have his permit w/age on it) and DD is younger and looks it). I'd have to buy these at 7-11 or PharmaSave in the airport. Total cost = $ 34.50

Option 2:

I buy a FareSaver Adult packet of 10 tickets (2 zone) for $ 31.50 and we use 4 to get to City Center and have 6 left (can use 4 for dinner and walk back or vice versa), is this correct? I need to buy these at the same place as above. Total cost = $ 31.50

Option 3:

I buy a FareSaver Adult 1 zone packet for $ 21.00, upgrade for the ride from the airport (2 zones) for $1.25 per person and have 6 tickets left over as in #2 above. Total cost = $26.00

Option 4:

I pay a single fare price for the 2 adults ($4 + $5 YVR charge) and teens at Concession ($2.75 + $5 fee) for a total of: $33.50. Advantage here: go directly to station, use credit card at station versus finding 7-11/PharmaSave and buying there.

Do I have the options correct?

Can I buy my teens Concession Tickets w/out the GoCard that teens in Vancouver have?

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks in advance!

Ok, I've done some searching (both on the forums and all over the SkyTrain site). Can someone help me figure best option?

We arrive on a Thursday about 11:15 a.m. We are staying at the Comfort Inn (Nelson Street). We will exit train at City Center and walk. That part I'm all good with!

Options

Option 1:

We have a 14/15 year old daughter/son + 2 adults. As we are arriving mid-day I considered the "day pass" to allow us to jump on/off the bus (or train) to do something in the city for dinner that evening (or at least take the train one more stop to see the port area for the next day's boarding).

The day pass will be $9.75 for the 2 adults and $ 7.50 for the teens? Although they don't have "ID" to prove (DS does have his permit w/age on it) and DD is younger and looks it). I'd have to buy these at 7-11 or PharmaSave in the airport. Total cost = $ 34.50

Option 2:

I buy a FareSaver Adult packet of 10 tickets (2 zone) for $ 31.50 and we use 4 to get to City Center and have 6 left (can use 4 for dinner and walk back or vice versa), is this correct? I need to buy these at the same place as above. Total cost = $ 31.50

Option 3:

I buy a FareSaver Adult 1 zone packet for $ 21.00, upgrade for the ride from the airport (2 zones) for $1.25 per person and have 6 tickets left over as in #2 above. Total cost = $26.00

Option 4:

I pay a single fare price for the 2 adults ($4 + $5 YVR charge) and teens at Concession ($2.75 + $5 fee) for a total of: $33.50. Advantage here: go directly to station, use credit card at station versus finding 7-11/PharmaSave and buying there.

Can I buy my teens Concession Tickets w/out the GoCard that teens in Vancouver have?

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks in advance!

You have many good questions. You may wish to post the same on this CC page: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=723387 I have used the great resources of these local people for information including the SkyTrain. I have a hunch you'll want to buy the Faresaver book of 10 tickets. I will say that I learned that the tickets you buy and use on any one day can be reused until midnight of that day/date when they expire regardless of when you activated them. We decided that we'll use the SkyTrain for the 5 of us to our hotel upon arrival. We're staying at the Pan Pacific which is a short walk from the end of the line. Since we arrive after 6pm - all 5 of us can ride using 5 of the fare saver tickets (cost $21) and have 5 left over for the next day. Be sure to check my facts. Again, the people at the aforementioned CC thread are excellent.

from yvr to cruise terminal on 09/15/13 cruise taking a cab is a good option as all pay as one the main question is do cab drivers take us money or credit cards or must one have canadian money

from yvr to cruise terminal on 09/15/13 cruise taking a cab is a good option as all pay as one the main question is do cab drivers take us money or credit cards or must one have canadian money

They will take Canadian currency, credit & debit cards and US currency.

A previous poster has provided erroneous information , Vancouver taxis will take USD, US Master Cards, Visas, and AMEX, they do not accept the Discover card, debit or ATM cards.

They will take Canadian currency, credit & debit cards and US currency.

I should clarify this and say some (not all) will take debit. I'll try and snap a pic as I walk past the taxi stand at Canada Place tomorrow.

Of the 589 cabs licensed in the city of Vancouver, Black Top/Checker have 220 cars, Yellow Taxi has 249 cars, combined they constitute 80% of Vancouver's cab fleet and they do not accept ATM cards. McClure's and Vancouver Taxi which together have a combined 120 cars or 20% of the total Vancouver taxi fleet will accept ATM cards but not all US ATM cards. So at best you have a 1 in 5 chance of using a US ATM card...I would ask the driver about your ATM card before you got in the cab.

Options

Option 1:

Option 2:

Option 3:

Option 4:

Any thoughts/advice?

Thanks in advance!

Hi! I live in Vancouver. I would think that option 3 seems to be your best option when it comes to prices. When you use the faresavers tickets the 2nd or 3rd time, you will only be in one zone and therefore not need two zones (assuming you are staying in Vancouver). The downtown area is quite walkable and you would be able to find places to eat within walking distance. I don't think that you will have a problem without GoCards for your kids as they are just the student id/library cards from high school. Plus if you bought the faresavers pack of 10, then you would buy adult fare anyways. The airport are is vary straight forward and wouldn't be too difficult to buy the faresavers tickets and you would just do the add-on $ at the skytrain line where you also validate the faresavers.

You have many good questions. You may wish to post the same on this CC page: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=723387 I have used the great resources of these local people for information including the SkyTrain. I have a hunch you'll want to buy the Faresaver book of 10 tickets. I will say that I learned that the tickets you buy and use on any one day can be reused until midnight of that day/date when they expire regardless of when you activated them. We decided that we'll use the SkyTrain for the 5 of us to our hotel upon arrival. We're staying at the Pan Pacific which is a short walk from the end of the line. Since we arrive after 6pm - all 5 of us can ride using 5 of the fare saver tickets (cost $21) and have 5 left over for the next day. Be sure to check my facts. Again, the people at the aforementioned CC thread are excellent.

I want to correct this statement. That I would say would only apply to day passes. The faresavers and cash payment are only valid for 90 minutes. You can go on as many buses, trains, etc as needed within the 90 minutes.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/Paying-Your-Fare.aspx

Hope this helps!

That's just taxi companies from the City of Vancouver. However;

• the airport isn't in the City of Vancouver
  • lots of other taxi companies, from outside of the City of Vancouver, but still in the metropolitan area, are licensed for pickup at YVR and dropoff anywhere.

<snip> ... Do I have the options correct?

Can I buy my teens Concession Tickets w/out the GoCard that teens in Vancouver have? ...

Since nobody seems to have answered your Qs yet:

Yes, you seem to have covered all the bases in terms of your Transit options;

No, your kids are not eligible for the Concession rate - since they're both over 13, they need a GoCard. Even local student ID is not sufficient to allow Concession fares - a special stick-on strip is allocated at in-school photo sessions locally. Some individual drivers may let it slide, but why take the risk for a few bucks total?

I do concur with BabyOrca about the 1-zone tenpack and airport add-on being the best option - you can use a credit card to pay for the 1 to 2 zone add-on fare at the airport, and it does only charge you the $1.25 without the extra $5 airport surcharge; I do this every time I travel home on the Canada Line from YVR as I only ever need 1 zone tickets otherwise. Only Grouse/Capilano are likely attractions that would need a 2 zone ticket from your hotel, so a whole book of 2 zone tickets is a false economy for virtually every tourist staying downtown.

Even if you wanted to take transit back from a restaurant, you're only spending an extra $5.50 for 2 cash fares as you'll have 2 leftover tickets from the 10-pack = total $31.50.

And THANK YOU for showing you've actually looked into the matter yourself then asked specific follow-up questions!

Yes, you seem to have covered all the bases in terms of your Transit options;

I do concur with BabyOrca about the 1-zone tenpack and airport add-on being the best option - you can use a credit card to pay for the 1 to 2 zone add-on fare at the airport.

And THANK YOU for showing you've actually looked into the matter yourself then asked specific follow-up questions!

Perfect! That's what we've decided on (Option 3) and I do appreciate all the help!!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the answers here! We're a family of 5, and we want to do option #3 as well. I'm just a bit confused as to the logistics.

Do we need to get the Adult Faresaver ticket for 1 zone from the 7-11 or Pharmasave at the Domestic Terminal before going to the train station? And then purchase the add-one tickets for the second zone at the train station? Or can we do all of this at the train station?

I appreciate your help!

Thanks for all the answers here! We're a family of 5, and we want to do option #3 as well. I'm just a bit confused as to the logistics.

Do we need to get the Adult Faresaver ticket for 1 zone from the 7-11 or Pharmasave at the Domestic Terminal before going to the train station? And then purchase the add-one tickets for the second zone at the train station? Or can we do all of this at the train station?

I appreciate your help!

This SkyTrain website should help you. Figure out where your destination is (Zone 1, 2, etc.). Most of Vancouver is accessed in Zone one. I spent a lot of time researching this as we are also a family of 5 and plan to use the SkyTrain for our transport to the hotel. We have a late Wednesday arrival (6:30pm). Using the SkyTrain is a definite saving. And - - yes, purchase the book of tickets before making your way to the train. There are plenty of marker signs that will lead you to the train and it is easily walkable with both escalator and elevator to get up to the departure ramp.

http://www.translink.ca/en/Fares-and-Passes/FareSaver-Tickets.aspx

I appreciate your help!

The attached may be helpful in locating where to buy tickets and how to get to the train.

SkyTrain to the Hotel.pdf

We, too, are planning to take the Sky Train from the airport to Canada Place. My question is when we get off the plane from the U.S., I would assume that we can't go to the 7-11 or Pharmasave until we go thru immigration--is this correct??? Please direct me as to how to get our day passes. Thanks for your help. We have learned so much from this board.

JC

We, too, are planning to take the Sky Train from the airport to Canada Place. My question is when we get off the plane from the U.S., I would assume that we can't go to the 7-11 or Pharmasave until we go thru immigration--is this correct??? Please direct me as to how to get our day passes. Thanks for your help. We have learned so much from this board.

JC

SevenSeas: Download the document I posted at post #15 - 3 or 4 down from here. Yes, we will have to clear customs first. Also be aware that the Pharmasave closes early. I think 6pm. Since we do not arrive until 6:30 the only place to buy the FairSaver book is at the 7-Eleven. The document I posted will tell you how to get your tickets and get to the train platform - photos and all.

SevenSeas: Download the document I posted at post #15 - 3 or 4 down from here. Yes, we will have to clear customs first. Also be aware that the Pharmasave closes early. I think 6pm. Since we do not arrive until 6:30 the only place to buy the FairSaver book is at the 7-Eleven. The document I posted will tell you how to get your tickets and get to the train platform - photos and all.

DNL, thank you so much! This is really helpful--I don't know how I missed this since I am monitoring this board all of the time.

Archived