OK 4 day FL cruisers-- Which would you pick for elderly 1st time cruiser?

Breezie68

Hi everyone!

So I decided to be a nice daughter and take my mother (first time cruiser) on a cruise for her 70th birthday. Since she has never cruised, and isn't sure it is for her, she agreed that she would go on a 4 day cruise to test it out.

She lives an hour from Orlando, so naturally I looked at cruises leaving from Port Canaveral- the one that fits the bill is the Sensation going to the Bahamas for 4 days.

Also leaving the next day out of Miami is the Ecstacy 4 day going to Key West and Cozumel.

I have never sailed the Sensation, but have been on Ecstacy years ago (in 05) and had a blast.

If you were me, what cruise would you book with your elderly mother (a first time cruiser).

I would also like to make note that she is not the best walker- due to knees needing to be replaced. Not sure if that would sway your decision either way. So we won't be doing crazy excursions or anything.

Ideally I'd give her the cruise bug... I'd LOVE to take her on a larger ship, but she's not sure cruising is for her and wants to keep it super short the first time out.

If she's up to the drive I'd do Miami for the itinerary alone. I've never cruised out of port canaveral but I think the port of Miami is decent for those with mobility issues. (Note I don't have any so I'm just guessing please don't flame me if I'm off base)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd vote for the Key West/Cozumel trip. Just not that fond of Nassau. I used to cruise with my mom when she was in her 70's/80's. She did get to a point where I would only let her go if she agreed to go in a chair. She didn't need it at home but I was afraid she'd fall. Maybe your Mom would agree to take a chair for going ashore or even on the ship if it's rocky. My mom would push it up and down the hall.

If she is like my mom she would not care about the ports, and doesnt want to walk, but at 70, your mom is hardly elderly, thats so funny.

I would do the closest port cruise myself, not the long drive to Miami when Port Canaveral is easier to get out of to me, quieter, smaller port.

I would just book the closest 4 day so she can see if she gets seasick and feels more comfortable.

both ships are the same class. I would only drive that far for a better ship or cruise. Key West is still florida.. not that big of a deal.

Hi everyone!

So I decided to be a nice daughter and take my mother (first time cruiser) on a cruise for her 70th birthday. Since she has never cruised, and isn't sure it is for her, she agreed that she would go on a 4 day cruise to test it out.

She lives an hour from Orlando, so naturally I looked at cruises leaving from Port Canaveral- the one that fits the bill is the Sensation going to the Bahamas for 4 days.

Also leaving the next day out of Miami is the Ecstacy 4 day going to Key West and Cozumel.

I have never sailed the Sensation, but have been on Ecstacy years ago (in 05) and had a blast.

If you were me, what cruise would you book with your elderly mother (a first time cruiser).

I would also like to make note that she is not the best walker- due to knees needing to be replaced. Not sure if that would sway your decision either way. So we won't be doing crazy excursions or anything.

Ideally I'd give her the cruise bug... I'd LOVE to take her on a larger ship, but she's not sure cruising is for her and wants to keep it super short the first time out.

Ectacy and a midship cabin where the walk won't be bad. My own Mom would enjoy the ports more without a doubt. Key West / Cozumel have good food, shopping etc and for a first cruise I think they're goood ports ... Flip side - the port of Freeport isn't the prettiest place - my own Mom would probably not even want to get off.

When are you thinking about going? With her being a first time cruiser, just watch the seasons and in my own opinion only, I've found it smoother from Miami. I wish my Mom would try it as well. She's not been well and I've offered to take her on any ship she wants. No go so she lives vicariously through me!

I would choose Key West & Cozumel because in Key West you could do the conch train tour which would be easy for your Mom and in Cozumel you could either do a beach day or an island tour .The only problem with Cozumel is that walk from the ship is long but they do have shuttles .

Closest port if the price is near equal , I have been on both and I preferred the Sensation . Sailing out of Miami is somewhat of a pain . Port Canaveral is a joy to sail out of . I sail on the larger ships for ports , otherwise we stay on board for 3 and 4 day cruises , relax and sleep in ,, lol .

Sensation is the closest port at an hour away. Miami is about a 4 hour drive. I'm still torn. I really like the ports better for Ecstacy.

I've got a message into my PVP, so hopefully he gets back to me soon. Tough choice! I tend to cruise for the ports, rather than the ship.

I did something similar for my Mom on her 75th birthday. Except living in Canada it was easier to take her on a quick 4-day out of New York.

Told her we were going to the Poconos (which we did overnight) then drove to the ship in the morning.

We leave at the end of June for her 4th cruise!!

Hi everyone!

We love both ship's, the Sensation will be the best drive. The crew seems a bit friendlier on the Sensation.

Now will add into the mix going on the Paradise out of Tampa. Boarding is so much easier not a long walk at all. Crew is great & it is the same ship lay out as the other two. Check into it.

Also special needs at sea will rent her a scooter that they will put right in your cabin & NO YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GET A HC cabin. ( flame away )

You can get a scooter at any port.

Char

She will probably enjoy Key West, but I wouldn't put her in a car for hours to essentially go to another part of Florida. Plus it's the same class ship as the Sensation. Get a cabin midship close to the elevators (not too close but within a few doors down) and she'll be fine.

Nice of you to do this for her. Have fun!

How about the Paradise out of Tampa; 4-day Cozumel or 5-day Cozumel and Grand Cayman and a lot closer than Miami?

Wow ,, I like that idea , I may even book it , lol

<LI class=dates>Thu, Nov 21, 2013

(Thu - Mon) Best Deal <LI class=interior>$199.00 - Interior<LI class=ocean>$239.00 - Oceanview

I would choose Key West & Cozumel because in Key West you could do the conch train tour which would be easy for your Mom and in Cozumel you could either do a beach day or an island tour .The only problem with Cozumel is that walk from the ship is long but they do have shuttles .

My thoughts exactly.:)

Archived