Snorkeling?

abhb

According to the Frommers Caribbean guide and my own frequent visits:

the USVI ( St Thomas, St John ) and BVI (Virgin Gorda) and Bonaire have fantastic snorkeling, as does Barbados. St Martin, Aruba are known for their white sandy beaches. In general great "beach" islands have lots of white sand, and therefore not so much coral reefs (which is why the beaches are fine white sand) and islands that are more rugged and volcanic are often surrounded by coral reefs and have fewer long strands of beaches but more interesting snorkeling.

If you really love snorkeling, Western is the way to go- the pan american reef stretches all the way down the coast of Mexico and is one of the biggest reef ecosystems on the planet. Which is why Grand Cayman and Cozumel offers such great snorkeling and diving!:D

The best snorkeling is found at the low, flat, coral islands (Cozumel, Cayman, Bahamas, etc.) as opposed to the mountainous ones (Jamaica, USVI, etc.)

With mountains comes heavy run-off from streams. This clouds the water, and provides too many nutrients, causing algae blooms which stunt the corals.

Low flat islands have little runoff, and most of the water percolates down through the limestone and gets filtered before entering the ocean. The result is crystal clear water, and big coral formations (the islands themselves are a result of coral reefs when sea levels were higher).

(for example http://www.bestourism.com/img/items/big/958/Cozumel_Great-diving-destination_3585.jpg)

The best snorkeling is found at the low, flat, coral islands (Cozumel, Cayman, Bahamas, etc.) as opposed to the mountainous ones (Jamaica, USVI, etc.)

With mountains comes heavy run-off from streams. This clouds the water, and provides too many nutrients, causing algae blooms which stunt the corals.

Low flat islands have little runoff, and most of the water percolates down through the limestone and gets filtered before entering the ocean. The result is crystal clear water, and big coral formations (the islands themselves are a result of coral reefs when sea levels were higher).

(for example http://www.bestourism.com/img/items/big/958/Cozumel_Great-diving-destination_3585.jpg)

I have snorkeled quite extensively and think that St Thomas, is far better snorkeling than than Cozumel or the bahamas

We really enjoyed snorkeling in St Thomas and in Barbados. By far the best is Bonaire

here are a few pics from St Thomas

IMG_0446_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0435_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0432copy_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0433_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0421_edited-1.jpg

See information about runoff problems http://coris.noaa.gov/about/eco_essays/virgin_islands/eco_stressors.html

The largest, most diverse reefs in the world are off of low-lying areas, not mountanous ones....the Great Barrier Reef off Australia's north cost. The barrier reef in the Florida Keys. The barrier reef off Andros in the Bahamas, the Maldives, the Seychelles, etc.

While the reefs are beautiful throughout the Caribbean, as you can see from the pictures above, the fire corals are abundant, rather than the more sensitive staghorn and other corals. The number of urchins also is an indicator of the high algae levels.

Where did you snorkel in Curacao? Was it an excursion or planned on your own? Thanks!

We did it on our own, just off a beach that was recommended by the Concierge. Sorry, but I can't remember the name, but it was not far from the port because we took a taxi and the ride was maybe 15 minutes. We were surprised at what we could see just a couple hundred feet off the beach because there was a long strand of coral out there.

We did it on our own, just off a beach that was recommended by the Concierge. Sorry, but I can't remember the name, but it was not far from the port because we took a taxi and the ride was maybe 15 minutes. We were surprised at what we could see just a couple hundred feet off the beach because there was a long strand of coral out there.

Thanks! Maybe we can do some investigating and figure out about where it its -- we've never been to Curacao and would love to find a great snorkeling spot -- especially one other than a planned out excursion. Thanks again for your quick help! :)

Spent a fabulous day snorkelling with Calabaza Catamaran in Barbados. Turtles..... just amazing.

I second the turtles in Barbados. We've gone with Silver Moon twice, first class operation. If decide to go with them try and book early and get on their 12 passenger catamaran. They have one for 24 people too, but the smaller boat with less people is really great and more personal.

My favorite so far has been Curacao. We took a cab from the dock to Playa Porto Marie. Cabs can be a bit $$$$. We had a group from our Roll Call meet up and share a cab.

We have not been to Barbados but have Calabazza booked for our next cruise.

Have fun.

My favorite so far has been Curacao. We took a cab from the dock to Playa Porto Marie. Cabs can be a bit $$$$. We had a group from our Roll Call meet up and share a cab.

We have not been to Barbados but have Calabazza booked for our next cruise.

Have fun.

Clarea posted that they snorkeled in an area not too far from port in Curacao -- is that the same with you?? Or, where did you find good snorkeling?? Thanks for your help!

Clarea posted that they snorkeled in an area not too far from port in Curacao -- is that the same with you?? Or, where did you find good snorkeling?? Thanks for your help!

I been looking at maps of Curacao. I believe we were referred to Mambo Beach and when we got there it was pretty full. So we continued walking down the beach (to the left as you face the water) and came to Lion's Dive Resort and stayed there for the day. I'm guessing the cost was something like $20 for the 2 chairs and umbrella. There was a rock wall about 50 feet out from the beach and we swam through an opening and snorkeled on the ocean side of the rock wall.

Here's a map of Curacao. If you zoom in a few miles to the right of Willemstad, you can see the beach. It's just left of the Aquarium.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&t=h&source=embed&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=215358309913564351764.0004d0c35a7e99d26740a

In Curacao, there is some interesting snorkeling if you take one of the excursions that includes the sunken tugboat area.

In Aruba, you can rent a Jeep at one of the booths at the dock (about $80 for the day). Do some studying for best beaches on the web, and then you can just drive up and down the west coast trying different ones - some are great! Another hint, watch for the presence of snorkel excursion boats - they know the best spots and some are right near the shore.

Finally, a warning: don't push your luck with the all aboard time. Especially if you are south of town, you can run into a big traffic jam trying to get back to the dock.

I been looking at maps of Curacao. I believe we were referred to Mambo Beach and when we got there it was pretty full. So we continued walking down the beach (to the left as you face the water) and came to Lion's Dive Resort and stayed there for the day. I'm guessing the cost was something like $20 for the 2 chairs and umbrella. There was a rock wall about 50 feet out from the beach and we swam through an opening and snorkeled on the ocean side of the rock wall.

Here's a map of Curacao. If you zoom in a few miles to the right of Willemstad, you can see the beach. It's just left of the Aquarium.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&t=h&source=embed&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=215358309913564351764.0004d0c35a7e99d26740a

Oh thank you so much! I printed off your info and have it in the folder ready to go -- looks perfect! Now, I have to wait to go . . . :(

I really do appreciate your help and your extra "research"!! Actually, a lot of your posts have helped us along -- we've never ventured down to the Southern Caribbean . . .but, really looking forward to it!

I've found good snorkeling in :

St. John ( St. Thomas) at Cinnamon Bay and Waterlemon Cay, also have done daysails that take you to Honeymoon Bay.

Tortola BVI - daysail to Cooper Island and Norman Island.

St Lucia - Anse Coshon , used a day package from Island Divers at Ti Kaye resort.

Barbados - agree with everyone else on the turtles, Calabaza is our favorite. They also take you to a shipwreck and a reef.

Curacao - went to Jan Thiel beach and to the beach by the Aquarium found it to be just OK for shore entry snorkeling.

St Croix - going over to Buck Island is supposed to be good but it's been too rough to go every time we've been there. Since you're going in July it should be calmer.

I have snorkeled quite extensively and think that St Thomas, is far better snorkeling than than Cozumel or the bahamas

We really enjoyed snorkeling in St Thomas and in Barbados. By far the best is Bonaire

here are a few pics from St Thomas

IMG_0446_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0435_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0432copy_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0433_edited-1.jpg

IMG_0421_edited-1.jpg

I agree with you !!

What ports are you going to?

Coki in St Thomas is great, but go early.Modern bathrooms and changing stations. Gets crowded near noon. Very good snorkeling very close to shore on the right as you look out, but I like all the way to the left even though that area involves more swimming.

Baby Beach in Aruba is good, but need to rent car to get there. Should be able to share with others on roll call. Or, just rent the car and travel around some when done snorkeling.

Cozumel-we always go to Chankanaab, but any excursion to the plancar reef is great.

Bonaire is the best by far. Woodwind is the best snorkeling excursion we ever had. Goes to klein Bonaire.

We have been to Barbados twice. Great snorkeling with the turtles-any of the small boat trips will do. The last time, we simply went to the beach, which is close to the ship, and swam out on our own. Not as good as an excursion as they feed the turtles, but good nonetheless.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

Archived