Visa

Might be a stupid question but we are going on a cruise to Asia finishing in Singapore where we will stay for a few days do we need visas to stay there also other ports which is just for the day?

Thanks

What ports does your cruise go to? I don't believe you need a visa for Singapore. You can check on the Australian government Department of Foreign Affairs website to see if you need visas.

Goes to Bangkok , Ho Chi Minh then Singapore will be traveling on a UK passport

Thanks

Vietnam requires a visa, however the ship arranges it for passengers aboard. Cost will be around $35, charged to your shipboard account.

When disembarking in Singapore, you'll fill in a form, and go through immigration and customs, no visa required.

The shipping company generally sends you an email if visas are required in advance [Australia, India, China]

For Vietnam your passports will be held onboard so you will need a photo copy,the cruiseline will do this but its quicker to do yourself before you leave.

Thailand and Singapore both have a VOA (visa on arrival) and its free but Vietnam you need a visa and ship will arrange the visa "usually".

All foreign passenger will need a visa for Vietnam even if they choose not to leave the ship and this is the same for Indonesia.

If visiting Thailand before Vietnam ask for your Passport to be returned,you can pick it up and give it back when you return to the ship before Vietnam.

What ports does your cruise go to? I don't believe you need a visa for Singapore. You can check on the Australian government Department of Foreign Affairs website to see if you need visas.

DFAT are not the ones to contact here as the OP will be travelling on a UK passport.

OP if you check with your TA make sure they are well aware of your passport type as they may just assume when they are checking that it is Australian. I know of some less than "bright" TAs.

The embassy of each country will have information on visa requirements and you should be able to get this online.

I don't know if the rules of this forum allow me to post websites, but, there is this website I use when I travel that you put in your country of your passport, your country of residence, and the country you are traveling to and it tells you if you need a Visa (work or holiday) and how to obtain one if you do.

You can search for Visa HQ and it'll give you a good result. LOL

Singapore and Thailand have the same VOA rules for British Passport holders as Australian/NZ passport holders.

Vietnam is still a communist country and requires most other than Vietnamese passport holders to obtain a visa, Cambodia Laos, China and Thai nationals are an acception I think?

If you are going with RCI I can guarantee the Visa will be given onboard but your passport held. I am pretty sure Princess will be the exact same.

The onboard charge for a Vietnam Visa is far cheaper than obtaining one in advance;)

With some countries though like USA the passport origin is not the factor with VOA or Visa waiver but where you were born!

If you are a Visa waiver passport holder born in some African and middle eastern areas you will be required to obtain a "visa before hand" even though you may have lived in a Visa waiver country most of your life and are a citizen of that visa waiver/VOA country!

DFAT are not the ones to contact here as the OP will be travelling on a UK passport.

OP if you check with your TA make sure they are well aware of your passport type as they may just assume when they are checking that it is Australian. I know of some less than "bright" TAs.

The embassy of each country will have information on visa requirements and you should be able to get this online.

I didn't know the OP would be travelling on a UK passport. He/she didn't say - clearly they should have. As the place of residence is in Australia it is reasonable for anyone to assume the passport would be Australian.

I didn't know the OP would be travelling on a UK passport. He/she didn't say - clearly they should have. As the place of residence is in Australia it is reasonable for anyone to assume the passport would be Australian.

I'm sorry if it sounded like you should have known; I did see the UK passport thing was down further. I didn't mean to have a go at you at all.

I'm sorry if it sounded like you should have known; I did see the UK passport thing was down further. I didn't mean to have a go at you at all.

Sorry if I have caused some confusion I am a permanent residence in aus but was born in the uk my wife and family are aus citizens I am still a British citizen (I know I should become an aus citizen) so I travel on an uk passport . So I am led to believe being a uk citizen that I need a visa for Thailand and we all need one for Vietnam and we don't need one for Singapore? Also I need to obtain a returning visa to come back to Aus even though I have been here since 1971 and yes I know I should become an Aus citizen

Thanks for the replies

No confusion really Chester32. My DH took out Aus citizenship and now travels on an Au passport but his father always used his British one. Have no idea about re-entry and requirements - that's why I suggested the embassies. If you used a TA they should be able to help.

I remember visiting France when we needed to send a copy of a bank statement to prove we had enough money to leave the place at the end of the holiday. :D Things are a lot easier now.

Hope you get sorted and enjoy the cruise.

Sorry if I have caused some confusion I am a permanent residence in aus but was born in the uk my wife and family are aus citizens I am still a British citizen (I know I should become an aus citizen) so I travel on an uk passport . So I am led to believe being a uk citizen that I need a visa for Thailand and we all need one for Vietnam and we don't need one for Singapore? Also I need to obtain a returning visa to come back to Aus even though I have been here since 1971 and yes I know I should become an Aus citizen

Thanks for the replies

British citizens do not need a visa for both Singapore and Thailand, you will be granted a free VOA (Visa on Arrival) as long as you are not wanted by INTERPOL.

Most people in the world require a visa for Vietnam but this will be arranged onboard at around $30-35 charge to your ship board account. Double check with your cruise line or Travel agent for peace of mind.

You will need to get a Permanent resident "Re Entry Permit" in your British passport before you leave Australia or YOU WILL NOT BE ALLOWED BACK IN TO AUSTRALIA! no matter how long you have lived here! They may in some cases choose to grant you a temporary non working visa. Do not under any circumstances fail to get an Australian Re Entry permit in your British Passport!

The re entry permit lasts for 5 years

You will all need at least 6 months left on your passports before they expire or you cannot enter Vietnam and could very well be turned away by cruise line on boarding day if you do not have at least 6 month validity.

Sorry for the SHOUT but I have a sister in the UK who lived a big chunk of her life in Australia and forgot to renew her re entry permit and now she can only visit for a holiday! She needs to re Emigrate to live back here and there is a very very long queue!

Go forth and get your citizenship for Australia its cheaper and easier in the long run but dont forget becoming an Australian Citizen is a Privilege and not a Right:)

Glad you have the information Taco. I only know from the opposite. My brother lives in Ireland and needed a permanent res authority to be able to get back in to there when he visited us a couple of years back. It was a very long story as the local Garda forgot to send his papers and only after a period of several years did he notice he did not have the card. (That's par for my brother)

Thanks again for your reply's

I do have an existing returning visa and it says must not arrive after 05/11/2014 so It should be fine for this trip which is late march

Mine and my wife's passports are fine valid to 2019 but my daughters expires 24/9/2014 and we leave on the 27/03/2014 which is 3 days shy of 6 months I will contact T/A to check on this

Thanks again

I do have an existing returning visa and it says must not arrive after 05/11/2014 so It should be fine for this trip which is late march

Mine and my wife's passports are fine valid to 2019 but my daughters expires 24/9/2014 and we leave on the 27/03/2014 which is 3 days shy of 6 months I will contact T/A to check on this

Thanks again

3 days shy of 6 mths seems FAR too risky for my liking, esp where a child is concerned. Think about the possibility of flight disruptions, illness etc. You would have to apply for another passport anyway on return....so why not save the worry and get it now? Peace of mind always rules:)

3 days shy of 6 mths seems FAR too risky for my liking, esp where a child is concerned. Think about the possibility of flight disruptions, illness etc. You would have to apply for another passport anyway on return....so why not save the worry and get it now? Peace of mind always rules:)

I understand some countries (Australia could be one - I'm not sure) require you to have 6 months remaining on the passport. It is possible that the cruiseline would refuse boarding or advise very close to cruise date that a new passport is required. One of the countries you are visiting could also insist on six clear months and cause problems with a port visit. I wouldn't risk it.

Thanks again

The 6 month validity is from when you enter the country you are visiting so if you are sailing on the 27th then your daughters passport will need to be renewed before you go because she doesnt have 6 months validity left by the time you reach Vietnam Thailand or Singapore:)

Its a bit of a pain but many countries now require the 6 month validity, not sure why but I think its just in case you get delayed and have to stay longer in that country than expected? It may also be to stop people staying longer than allowed by claiming they have no valid passport to travel back out if they overstay?

Don't wish to harp on this, but the following may assist with your decision re passport validity. I hope it helps you. It is from the aussie passport office.....

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Do I need six months validity left on my passport before I can travel from and then re enter Australia?

Australian passports are valid for travel into and out of Australia regardless of the length of remaining validity. An Australian passport remains valid until the expiry date.

However, it is the right of any country to control entry into their borders and this is usually done via visas or ensuring sufficient validity remains on the visitor’s travel document. Entry requirements are decided by foreign governments and are not something that the Australian Government can influence.

You need to ensure that your passport has adequate validity to meet the entry requirements of the countries you intend to visit (or transit). Some countries require travellers to have at least six months validity remaining on their passports beyond the period of intended stay, and immigration authorities may refuse entry if you arrive with less than this. Airlines and passenger shipping lines may refuse to carry you if your passport has inadequate validity.

Before travel you should contact the Embassy, High Commission or Consular representative of all the countries you will be travelling to, or seek advice from your travel agent, to identify each country’s passport validity requirements. If you are unsure, it is safest to renew your passport prior to travelling.

Thanks again

Just got email from T/A and you are most definitely right you have to have at least 6 months on passport so will get daughters renewed and no visa for Thailand and Singapore but definitely for Vietnam which can be done on board

Archived