Solo in St. Maarten

wonderdox

I have never been to St. Maarten. I will be visiting there in just a few weeks and STILL have not nailed down my plans. I dont know what it is about this port. So torn on what to do honestly.

I have done a lot of reading on the SXM board. It can be overwhelming at times.

For those that have traveled there solo... any recommendations or tips that made your trip enjoyable?

On those crowded beaches- what do you do with your valuables when you wanted to go swimming? Did you encounter any places with lockers? I am looking into waterproof bags so I can take some of my valuables with me when I go swimming.

I am leaning more towards a ship excursion but open to ideas from a solo person's perspective. I don't feel comfortable taking a cab by myself. Once I get acquainted with the island, I may feel different on another trip.

There is an excursion to the butterfly farm and then a beach stop at Friar's Bay Beach. I am not a big party person and this beach looks low key.

Many thanks

I love St. Maarten! It's one of those island that each time I find something to do.

As for the beach, since I'm not a true beach person can't suggest which beach would be great for you.

I would suggest a private or semi private tour. Joyce Prince is someone that I did a private tour with. Since she's a woman, that might be a great option. I was able to do what I want, mainly spending more time on the French side.

A semi private tour with some of the other well known guides suggested on this site is an option.

I love St. Maarten! It's one of those island that each time I find something to do.

As for the beach, since I'm not a true beach person can't suggest which beach would be great for you.

I would suggest a private or semi private tour. Joyce Prince is someone that I did a private tour with. Since she's a woman, that might be a great option. I was able to do what I want, mainly spending more time on the French side.

A semi private tour with some of the other well known guides suggested on this site is an option.

Just out of curiosity... what are your fav things to do in St. Maarten? :D

As a female solo cruiser, I feel the same way you do about being alone in strange places. I like to be in groups. When I was in St. Maarten I booked a tour with Bernard's. It was great! And I can almost guarantee there will be people from your ship on your tour.

He took us around to Marigot on the French side, then to Orient Beach for a while, then to Maho to watch the planes land. I had "met" some people on my roll call and knew some were going to be on this tour so we all went "together". We didn't hang together, but I felt better knowing someone may notice if I got lost.

You get a little bit of everything with this tour. A little history, a little sightseeing, a little beach time, and the planes, my favorite part! I then went with a couple from the ship to look around Phillipsburg and the little shops.

I don't swim at the beach so I couldn't help you with protecting your valuables. Maybe you could ask someone on your tour to keep an eye on your stuff. Most people are really quite honest, and if you ask, that makes them feel responsible some how. Maybe someone else has better ideas of how to handle this.

Ditto the Bernards recommendation! I did Tour II with them back in February as a solo (our driver was Sexy) and had a fantastic time. Since the groups are small, it was easy to ask someone else from our van to watch my stuff when I went to play in the water. You can usually tell who's going to frolic in the water and who's there to camp out on a lounger. Having said that, if you don't have one already, you should get one of those waterproof storage containers (I prefer the opaque ones because no one needs to know what I have on me) for your key card, a copy of your passport, and some emergency cash to carry with you at all times.

i did like a bus and boat tour; when the boat stopped in Marigot some did shopping, I sat on the boat, read and enjoyed some rum punch.

Now, in St Thomas when I did the beach I did not go in the water, sat in the sand likely because I had the same concerns you have- dont want to lose my stuff.

Come to think of it, going to AC 2 days this week and will be doing the same there!!!

Wonderdox I love the French side of St. Martin because of the craft market (p.s. the curry power is great and to me better than what you get in Jamaica!) and the pastries at the shops, "Oui! Oui! :D:D I will walk up to the fort, great way to work off those pastries!

I also toured with Bernard on one of my visits. I did a semi private tour with a mother and son from Sweden. I had a great time touring with him just like Sarasa and MsVulcan you can't go wrong with him.

Head to the St. Martin section of the Port of Call section and see if any of the beaches offer lockers.

The times that I do beach time, I have a hard case wallet I purchased on a cruise in 2001. It's perfect to hold my ship card, id and cash. That way only my beach towel, water shoes and book are at my chair

Thanks so much for the thoughtful feedback.

I don't need a lot to entertain me honestly.

I come home from work each day and I swear I change my mind each day on what I want to do lol. Do I want to go sailing around the island? Do I want to go shopping? Do I want to go hang out at the beach? Do I want to go on a history tour of the island? Why yes to all : )

My other two ports of call I had no trouble picking what I wanted to do. Go figure.

I really love to cook. In fact, when I travel abroad I try going to where the locals like to shop for groceries. I typically pick up a few goodies when I do. It would be great to bring back some spices and things to experiment with back at home.

In the back of my head, the weather is also playing into my decision making process. I would go with the shopping option for example if the weather was poor. I think I plan to re-evaluate towards the end of the week.

I know that Bernard's Tours gets a lot of love here on CC. A general overview of the island might be a good way to go.

I have an idea what I want to purchase to put my valuables in so I can take my valuables in the water.

I was surprised by the number of products out there. For those looking for ideas stores that specialize in hiking and water sports like rafting have a number of dry bag like options.

Thanks again for your feedback!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a single female solo traveler and I did St. Maarten on my own. I'm not really a beach person but really wanted to go Maho Beach where the planes land.

As soon as I was off the ship, there is a taxi rank and they will fill a taxi to go to your destination. It only cost me $8. And there is plenty of taxis for the return trip.

On the way back, I got dropped off at Phillipsburg for a wonder and I walked back to the ship. Only took 15 minutes.

First time there and I'm sure it won't be the last.

You'll have a great time! :D

I lived in St. Maarten for 2 years- if I were you I would just rent a car and drive around the island, you can easily see the whole island in a day. Head over to Marigot or Orient Beach for lunch, then stop off in P-burg (close to the port) for shopping before you get back on the ship.

I lived in St. Maarten for 2 years- if I were you I would just rent a car and drive around the island, you can easily see the whole island in a day. Head over to Marigot or Orient Beach for lunch, then stop off in P-burg (close to the port) for shopping before you get back on the ship.

I guess it depends on the person;) and I have been to St Martin many

times over the years....(I always sail solo) been cruising solo for 10 years

but renting a car is something that does not appeal....have no desire to

learn the roads or get behind a wheel while I am way....that is just me

though.

• 2 weeks later...

This upcoming cruise will be my second time to St Maarten; the first time I did a tour with my roll call. We used Bernard's Tours and had a great time.

I didn't want to do the same thing this time around, so I just booked an excursion with the ship. It said it should take around 2.5 hours, which is good enough for me as I'd like to get back to the ship early and take advantage of it being nearly empty.

Join the roll call for your cruise, let people know your sailing solo. If you're on Norwegian Epic/Breakaway/Getaway, then there is a hosted evening solo gathering every night and organized activities which are great. You'll meet nice people and have fun. If not, then suggest or organize an informal sailaway gathering on Day 1 in your roll call. This is important for getting dinner mates that first night. Otherwise, the unhosted solo gathering (at least on NCL ships other than Epic/Breakaway/Getaway) are hit or miss.

Ditto on Bernard's tour. Nice tour around the island - Iguana Farm, 90 mins at Orient Beach, shopping in Marigot, 60 mins Maho Beach. Very nice day but the trip back on the tour bus into heavy traffic got me nervous. So instead we abandoned the tour at the last attraction (Maho Beach) and took a cab back.

At Orient Beach, they drop you off at a beach club where you can rent a chair + drink for $10. I'm guessing they would have a place to store your things or leave it with the bus driver?

Maho Beach, again, maybe bus driver will watch your things?

Hi, leaving your items with a bus driver?....I am not normally a negative

person but in this case? I would never take a day at the beach

and leave my stuff with a busdriver....if I am going to the beach,

my stuff is going with me. Even if it is "beach tour"....I bring a tote

bag that holds my towel, sunscreen, book, etc.....that stuff

stays with me.

When she means valuables, I assume she doesn't mean she'll bring her diamond engagement ring and a wad of a few thousand dollars cash. Use your own judgement.

And tour bus driver... I'm not worried about this nice guy from Bernards to watch my camera and such things.

What's indispensable? Drivers license, credit card, cabin card, passport? Waterproof pouch sure. Still, I'm discreet about carrying those things in a backpack full of other stuff, and not worried about leaving it in the tour bus if the driver locks it. If you have something so valuable you can't bear to lose it, don't bring it.

Now an MTA bus driver in the Bronx... that's another story.

P.S. IMO your things are more likely to be stolen when they're actually with you... Bag slung over a seat while eating and someone distracts you, etc. and pick pockets in crowded place like street markets, public transit, etc. distracting you with "innocuous" questions. That's my number one concern. Cell phone/tablet even right on the table in front of you while you're eating... Brazen thieves will snatch and grab or distract you. But this again we're talking about a St. Maarten beach, not a bustling urban center.

P1020267.JPG

I left the stuff i didn't need in Bernard's van in Marigot and at Maho where I wasn't swimming and I've done something similar on other tours. When I went tubing in Dominca, everything had to be left in the van. I'm not saying you can't ever have a problem, but I've never heard of any issues.

I left the stuff i didn't need in Bernard's van in Marigot and at Maho where I wasn't swimming and I've done something similar on other tours. When I went tubing in Dominca, everything had to be left in the van. I'm not saying you can't ever have a problem, but I've never heard of any issues.

But Bernard's rum punch was evil! :p

I did they Bernard's tour that focused on shopping-we were only on Orient beach for 30 min...and spent most of the time at Maho watching the planes, which was my favorite part. If I went back I would take a cab to Maho and just hang at one of the bars watching the planes. Since it is your first time, Bernard offers a couple of different options that cover the island and focus on different interests. Highly recommend and the driver we had was awesome. We left our stuff that we bought in his van with no issues. Also, the rum punch is evil...but you have to try it!

Archived