Solistice

Gidday all!

Our family is seriously considering a 14 day Solstice cruise in January 2015.

To date we have cruised on the Diamond Princess and on The Voyager of the Seas as a family.

Have enjoyed sharing a mini suite on Emerald deck on the Diamond and had connecting Promenade cabins on the Voyager.

We are looking at a number of cabin options, many are based around a two cabin split, the second bathroom being the biggest factor in that equation.

As at sailing date the kids will be 18 and 14, both have enjoyed the kids programs thus far.

So, what do you reccommend?

High on the list at present is a Sky Suite connecting with a Sunset cabin combo, two connecting Sunset cabins, two bigger balcony Veranda combos or just biting the bullet, figuratively, and getting a couple of insides and having less money to scrape together.

Also, seeking advice regarding drinks packages etc. On Princess we all had the UKP and we also purchased a coffee card, on Royal we got the kids a soda package each and purchased other drinks a la carte.

We are not huge drinkers, may have a shandi, orange juice, cappaccino (sp), latte, mocha, wine with dinner, a froo froo cocktail or a liquer chaser on occassion, but I would like to know how the ANZACs have found the packages.

Also, the specialty restaurants, worth a package? I have seen some threads suggesting that we just board and wait for the specials.

Thanking you in advance for your replies.

God bless you:)

TraceyG

Gidday all!

Our family is seriously considering a 14 day Solstice cruise in January 2015.

To date we have cruised on the Diamond Princess and on The Voyager of the Seas as a family.

Have enjoyed sharing a mini suite on Emerald deck on the Diamond and had connecting Promenade cabins on the Voyager.

We are looking at a number of cabin options, many are based around a two cabin split, the second bathroom being the biggest factor in that equation.

As at sailing date the kids will be 18 and 14, both have enjoyed the kids programs thus far.

So, what do you reccommend?

High on the list at present is a Sky Suite connecting with a Sunset cabin combo, two connecting Sunset cabins, two bigger balcony Veranda combos or just biting the bullet, figuratively, and getting a couple of insides and having less money to scrape together.

Also, seeking advice regarding drinks packages etc. On Princess we all had the UKP and we also purchased a coffee card, on Royal we got the kids a soda package each and purchased other drinks a la carte.

We are not huge drinkers, may have a shandi, orange juice, cappaccino (sp), latte, mocha, wine with dinner, a froo froo cocktail or a liquer chaser on occassion, but I would like to know how the ANZACs have found the packages.

Also, the specialty restaurants, worth a package? I have seen some threads suggesting that we just board and wait for the specials.

Thanking you in advance for your replies.

God bless you:)

TraceyG

Hi Tracey - you guys are hooked!!!

If it was me (hehe) I would go for the Balcony and Inside combo! Save your money on the second Balcony and use that to get the drinks packages perhaps. The non alcoholic packages look quite good but you need to do your home work. Go to the Celebrity board - there is a thread with a spreadsheet to compare costs.

We love Celebrity in 2011 and we are booked for Feb 2014 - can't wait (18 days with 9 sea and 9 port days!). We have booked a balcony (got a balcony for the price of an inside deal - may be worth waiting to see if that happens).

Last time we didn't bother with a drinks package as we would have struggled to get the benefit. One nice coffee and tea per day and a couple of wines just didn't add up for me. Plenty of free drinks in the buffet during the day.

We dined in Murano once on the Century and we found it a bit under whelming to be honest. Bit more to that story I won't bother sharing on here!;) The MDR was perfect for us. Rather spend the money in the Spa!

I recommend you save some money and get the balcony /inside combo as well.

You can buy your drinks onboard for a day or two and then see if one of the packages are worth it, you can buy onboard at any time (bar the last couple of days) and it is pro ratad for the days remaining.

There is alos a pick your perk package at the moment that may include OBC, or drink packages which may be worth looking into.:D

Gidday.

Thank you MargoK and MicCanberra for your replies.

I agree the cheaper room combination is a good idea, but hubby is keen as to get the suite and the kids, both teens now, are super keen to have their own space. I would like them to pay for their own space... perhaps next time :rolleyes:

DH is justifying the Sky Suite by the fact that we are saving up so far from our cruise date, hmm.

MicCanberra, I read through the terms and conditions of the current 123 package and it states that the OBC, 50% deposit and the 123 option are only available to USA and Canadian passport holders, so :(, the antipodeans miss out, again. Apparently, even if I book through a US travel agent I wouldn't qualify.

Thanks for the advice regarding the drinks package. This is something I am in a bit of a waffle about but it helps knowing you can purchase it pro rata later in the trip. We are not a boozy lot, but having the option of a nice froo froo drink in the afternoon or splashing out on a shot (or two) after dinner is appealing.

The information regarding the 'for fee' dining was interesting too. We are likely to do the MDR thing as usual, it is nice to develop the relationship with your wait staff, this is a special part of our trips as these are people we remember fondly.

Margo, how did you find your Solstice trip compared to our Diamond one. I realise that with the Geddes missing it was likely more sedate, but anything you can think of would be fab. If you want to email me direct, dandtgeddes@clear.net.nz . Thank you.

PS - Please let me know how Rich and Kim are doing. Thank you.

I am so please to get any replies, was beginning to worry :o

Anyone else, please feel free to add your experiences to the thread, I am an over planner, so the more information, the better.

Thanks again.

God bless you all:)

TraceyG

I have cruised both Princess Diamond and X's Solstice. Both are very good in regards to service and quality, etc. However, I think the Solstice is better as it is a newer, larger boat decor is modern and would probably attract a younger demographic (although this is very itinerary dependent) but they are both great.:D

I am sure The Pick your Perk was also offered for Aussies/Kiwis but had a much more limited sailings for the Australia/Asia/Pacific regions. I had received a email from X about this, I will try and find it althoiugh the sail may be over now (tomorrow) anyway.:D

I will be able to give you some insight after our cruise in the next couple of weeks.

We have booked connecting CC cabins. We are travelling with a 13 year old who spends ages in the bathroom getting ready.

We have also bought a non alcholic drinks package for our daughter. We missed out on the 123 promotion so we have just ordered wine and will get the odd drink when we need it.

We haven't finalised our cabin combination for our Soltice cruise next year. Once we have experienced two cabins we will know how we feel about doing it again. We have previously had a suite on other cruises.

I will get back to you as soon as I can after our holiday.

Gidday.

MicCanberra, I read through the terms and conditions of the current 123 package and it states that the OBC, 50% deposit and the 123 option are only available to USA and Canadian passport holders, so :(, the antipodeans miss out, again. Apparently, even if I book through a US travel agent I wouldn't qualify.

TraceyG

Unless I misunderstand you or you are referring to some other promotion, most assuredly the 1,2,3 package is available to Australians (just like the earlier ones were) and its available on all cruises leaving Asia, Europe and the Caribbean, but not Australia.

Celebrity's own Australia website confirms this;

http://celebritycruises.com.au/content/en_AU/pick_your_perk.html?&icid=pick_your_perk

BUT it is NOT available on Australian sailings...I assume (maybe) reading between the lines that the last several offers may have in fact have resulted in solid bookings for the cruises out of Australia and they do not feel the need to offer it again.

Also the fact its on the Australian website would automatically denote Australians can access it directly and not via the US.

There is also a current Celebrity promotion offering "free" return flights for all Solstice NZ cruises (must be booked before the end of the month, I think). I put free in inverted commas because the prices are hugely inflated. We just booked a cruise with a large Asutralian TA that have a price match guarantee (we got a quote from a US agent) and saved approx $700pp, which is A LOT less than the return flights are worth.

Anyway, the point I wanted to make is that most specials and promotions are not combinable with any other offer, and I am guessing that is why the pick your perk has not been made available on the Australian sailings.

Cheers,

Celebrity's own Australia website confirms this;

http://celebritycruises.com.au/content/en_AU/pick_your_perk.html?&icid=pick_your_perk

BUT it is NOT available on Australian sailings...I assume (maybe) reading between the lines that the last several offers may have in fact have resulted in solid bookings for the cruises out of Australia and they do not feel the need to offer it again.

Also the fact its on the Australian website would automatically denote Australians can access it directly and not via the US.

Thanks 6Andy6, The link confirms what I received in email. :D

You could try and book hump cabins the balconies are awesome.

We booked 8230 which is the first off the hump. The balcony is tripple the normal size for the same price.

1243 or 1120, have the biggest and are in concierge class so you get an expanded room service menu, not sure what that means because these rooms were booked and we had to settle for 8230 which was a wonderful cabin with a huge balcony. 1247, 1124 have the next biggest hump. Being next to the Royal suits you should get the best cabin steward as well :p

It's the first and the third cabins off the hump that are the biggest.

Regarding the dining packages, they were everywhere when we got onboard and you could also just go to the restaurants and get the packages once on board. We bought a package for Silk Harvest, Murano and Tuscan Grill. We enjoyed Tuscan the best.

How did you find Voyager compared to Diamond. I just booked on Voyager. :)

With the Sky suites, which are lovely inside, there is a huge high ceiling above the verandah which extends out and pretty much means you cannot see the sky, stars or the sun!!

I thought it was a strange name after visiting one......

The cabins on the edge of the humps do indeed have huge verandahs. You can check cabins by going to the Celebrity forum board and look at the sticky post on Solstice class cabins. Interesting info ;)

With the Sky suites, which are lovely inside, there is a huge high ceiling above the verandah which extends out and pretty much means you cannot see the sky, stars or the sun!!

I thought it was a strange name after visiting one......

Maybe they should be called Ceiling suites.:D

Thank you all for your responses.

Sorry for my lack of reply, this is due to my laptop being stolen and a replacement being an insurance claim away.

I fully intend to read through your responses as soon as I can.

Anyone else wanting to chime in, I am still listening, well, kinda, as soon as I can.

TraceyG

Thank you all for your responses.

Sorry for my lack of reply, this is due to my laptop being stolen and a replacement being an insurance claim away.

I fully intend to read through your responses as soon as I can.

Anyone else wanting to chime in, I am still listening, well, kinda, as soon as I can.

TraceyG

Tracey - sorry to hear someone has removed the laptop! Want a pain in the neck! Hope the insurance helps replace it soon.

You could try and book hump cabins the balconies are awesome.

It's the first and the third cabins off the hump that are the biggest.

Just to enlighten a bit more: The larger balconies are not those from the hump cabins themselves, but only the angled balconies off any of the humps are larger. When there are four, the first and the third cabin are about triple the size and the second and fourth about double the size.

I had cabin 8256 on the Equinox and it was huge.

Archived