Shopping

Keith1010

My wife and I are not big shoppers when we cruise because we mainly like to take our time shopping and find we get just as good prices at home/via the internet.

With that said, for those who like to shop we thought this was by far one of the best ports for shopping.

To me the key is to know the price of the item you want so you know whether or not you will get a good deal. We did know the price and got a much better deal in town.

Keith

We found jewelry to be of very good value. We knew the price from home and it is not discounted in the USA and was there plus we avoided the tax.

We also walked in many stores in the area that is about a 15 minute walk from the dock. I found the people not too pushy and there was a wide range of items to look at.

Keith

• 2 weeks later...
Are there any shops near the pier? We will be taking a taxi from Maho Beach back to the pier in the afternoon. Hoping we could squeeze a little shopping.

Yes there are some shops by the pier. Since most folks leave a good deal of time as a buffer when leaving from Maho they get dropped in town to do some shopping instead of going directly to the pier. It only takes 5 minutes to taxi or water taxi back to the ship and 15-20 minutes (depending just where you are walking from) to walk back to the pier.

St. Martin has always been a comparatively good shopping island. No where like it used to be when gold and gemstones were not priced as high as today but still better than most other islands. We found the inventory of gold/jewelry way down from even 2-3 years ago. Used to be huge selection but not so much now. The jewelry stores don't want to tie up so much money in inventory especially late spring/summer. Not only so many fewer ships but also threat of hurricanes.

St. Martin has always been a comparatively good shopping island. No where like it used to be when gold and gemstones were not priced as high as today but still better than most other islands. We found the inventory of gold/jewelry way down from even 2-3 years ago. Used to be huge selection but not so much now. The jewelry stores don't want to tie up so much money in inventory especially late spring/summer. Not only so many fewer ships but also threat of hurricanes.

This is pretty much bogus.

First, St. Martin, the French side, has never been a good place to shop for jewelry. The value is on the Dutch side, St. Maarten.

My guy at Shiva's, on Front Street, is currently (as of May) carrying an inventory that includes about $30 Million in diamonds alone. That does not include their shop in Aruba.

BTW, they are the only jewelry shop on the island designated as a "Leading Jewelers of the World".

gary

I have waited for a few cruises to post this. Dazzling Gems 10 front street. I have bought quite a few substantial pieces there. I have gone back there a year after purchasing and he has let me upgrade a piece of jewely or exchange it for something else. A few months ago I bought a ring and bracelet ( excellent prices by the way I am a former jeweler) got on the ferry back to the ship, realized the bracelet was not in the bag! Local security at the ferry said good luck ever seeing that bracelet. 10 minutes later one of the salespeople from the store pulls up to the gate in one of those security mini carts with my bracelet. Amazing quality and prices Danny the owner is honest, trustworthy and a true gentleman. I will shop anywhere else for my jewelry.

Yeah, Danny seems to really look out for his customers. We've purchased in his store several times. More than once, I've called him from stateside and ordered something special over the phone. He sends it and says "hey, if you like it fine, it you don't - fine - just send it back.

This is mainly for Gary - Our ship arrives on a Sunday. Can you give us some insight on shops being open, closed, etc. I'm hoping Sarafina's will be open as well as other shops and restaurants. Would you know if Casa de Habano is open on Sundays? Based on your response will determine whether or not we go into Marigot for shopping.

Thanks! and BTW you are very helpful on the St. Martin forum and I enjoy reading your replies. I believe you wouldn't steer anyone in the wrong direction!

This is mainly for Gary - Our ship arrives on a Sunday. Can you give us some insight on shops being open, closed, etc. I'm hoping Sarafina's will be open as well as other shops and restaurants. Would you know if Casa de Habano is open on Sundays? Based on your response will determine whether or not we go into Marigot for shopping.

Thanks! and BTW you are very helpful on the St. Martin forum and I enjoy reading your replies. I believe you wouldn't steer anyone in the wrong direction!

:) Thanks for the kind words.

I really don't spend much time in Marigot, but I would expect little to be open on a Sunday in September (LOW season).

I would expect Sarafina's to be open, and the Fort is always 'open', but little else - some restaurants.

I'll try to find out about the cigar shop.

In Philipsburg, the shops at the Cruise Facility will be open, and some, but not all of the shops on Frontstreet, as you're the only ship that day.

I'd try those shops I mentioned in the other thread, but if they're not open I would also suggest my friends at Ocean Jewelry, also on Frontstreet.

gary

Sorry, but there is no law about stores being required to close on Sundays.

The only law on closures deals with holidays.

On Official Holidays, like Easter and Christmas, stores are required to close with few exceptions.

On Public Holidays stores can open but have to offer overtime pay to employees who choose to work.

gary

If we want to go into shop on Front Street, how do we get there from the pier? Can we take a water taxi?

There is a $7 unlimited ride water taxi between the pier and Phillipsburg. You can also do a regular taxi for $3 per person one way. You can walk as well.

Sorry, but there is no law about stores being required to close on Sundays.

The only law on closures deals with holidays.

On Official Holidays, like Easter and Christmas, stores are required to close with few exceptions.

On Public Holidays stores can open but have to offer overtime pay to employees who choose to work.

gary

I have informed my wife of the limited shopping possibilities, due to our Sunday arrival. She is a trooper and we will still carry on with our original game plan. Her must see stops are Sarafina's and the Fort. Anything else is bonus. My must stop is LCDH Cigar shop. Crossing my fingers it will be open. Thanks again Gary for your help in this matter.

Ozarkmills,

I received a response from LCDH, and offer it for your interpretation.

hello Gary,

The shop is open only on morning 9H30 to 1h everyday and for the all year .

I can open for you a Sunday morning in september but we have to make an appointment .

Let me know wich Sunday , i can be there only on morning before 10h .

Thanks, Carole

The e-mail address I used was casa.del.habano@wanadoo.fr

If you have something like Google Voice or Skype then you could call them, Phone: 590 87 5894. St. Martin is currently same time as US East Coast.

Don't remember if I posted their website before.

gary

p.s. If you don't make it to Sarafina's, we really enjoy The Taste Factory, adjacent to the Dutch-side bridge.

Ozarkmills,

I received a response from LCDH, and offer it for your interpretation.

hello Gary,

The shop is open only on morning 9H30 to 1h everyday and for the all year .

I can open for you a Sunday morning in september but we have to make an appointment .

Let me know wich Sunday , i can be there only on morning before 10h .

Thanks, Carole

The e-mail address I used was casa.del.habano@wanadoo.fr

If you have something like Google Voice or Skype then you could call them, Phone: 590 87 5894. St. Martin is currently same time as US East Coast.

Don't remember if I posted their website before.

gary

p.s. If you don't make it to Sarafina's, we really enjoy The Taste Factory, adjacent to the Dutch-side bridge.

Gary- You have gone way beyond just helping, THANK YOU!! I will make sure we stop by the taste factory, per your recommendation.

Archived