RCCL versus MSC: anyone experience?

As you can or could see in my signature, we have cruised most of all on RCCL. We love Celebrity just a bit more.

Now I have seen some itineraries on MSC that look good, and the best part is they leave from The Netherlands, so we could just drive there on departure day. No need for flights, an additional day off from work, a night at a hotel, ...

However, MSC: how does it compare to RCCL?

Note: I don't ask whether I'd like it or not, because you don't know me, I don't know you, lol. Just looking for some comparison points. Like how does the food compare, entertainment, rooms, difference in population, ...

As you can or could see in my signature, we have cruised most of all on RCCL. We love Celebrity just a bit more.

Now I have seen some itineraries on MSC that look good, and the best part is they leave from The Netherlands, so we could just drive there on departure day. No need for flights, an additional day off from work, a night at a hotel, ...

However, MSC: how does it compare to RCCL?

Note: I don't ask whether I'd like it or not, because you don't know me, I don't know you, lol. Just looking for some comparison points. Like how does the food compare, entertainment, rooms, difference in population, ...

We were chatting with an aquaintence on the Independence of the Seas in May who had just done an MSC cruise and then the same day jumped on IOS for the next leg of her holiday. The bits I can remember she said were:

Food - MSC is not as nice as RCI - food is quite cold and it is a little bland

Ships - The decor on MSC is stunning, much better than RCI, however she really missed having a promenade.

Entertainment - She said 70% of this was in English and was probably on par with RCI

Guests - She said it was a very international mix with all announcements needing to be given out in 7 languages. She felt that because of this it felt quite cliquey due to langugage barriers and people didn't greet each other or speak in lifts or queues for things. She found that really strange she said.

She said she liked the itinerary they did (can't remeber what it was) but she said she wouldn't sail with them again (even for a good itinerary) but was glad she had tried it and would suggest people try it for how well priced they are, especially last minute.

I hope this is helpful :)

The bits I can remember she said were:

Food - MSC is not as nice as RCI - food is quite cold and it is a little bland

Ships - The decor on MSC is stunning, much better than RCI, however she really missed having a promenade.

Entertainment - She said 70% of this was in English and was probably on par with RCI

Guests - She said it was a very international mix with all announcements needing to be given out in 7 languages. :eek:

She felt that because of this it felt quite cliquey due to language barriers and people didn't greet each other or speak in lifts or queues for things.

She found that really strange she said.

She said she liked the itinerary they did (can't remeber what it was) but she said she wouldn't sail with them again (even for a good itinerary) but was glad she had tried it and would suggest people try it for how well priced they are, especially last minute.

Sounds like you need to have an open mind for this one!

Read somewhere that you need to accept that things will be different to what we're accustomed to on American Ships.

Then again, I have an English friend who always cruises MSC

so it has to be good for something

or he wouldn't keep banging his head against their walls...sorry, bulkheads.

I think having to tolerate announcements seven times over would put me off

-thanks for the warning: that would drive me crazy.

Funny how "little things" can be a deal-breaker?

I think having to tolerate announcements seven times over would put me off

-thanks for the warning: that would drive me crazy.

We did an RCCL Med cruise where eveything was announced in 7 languages too!

I think every non-Caribean cruise I have been on had the anouncements in many many languages.

Thanks for the information!

I also think MSC must be good for something, since how else could they keep on filling up all those ships? :D

I think it's something we'll have to try...

I think every non-Caribean cruise I have been on had the anouncements in many many languages.

Thanks for the information!

I also think MSC must be good for something, since how else could they keep on filling up all those ships? :D

I think it's something we'll have to try...

I agree ! Give it a try.

I think we're going to when we see an inexpensive last minute deal that is too good to miss !

Hi

We did our first MSC cruise this year (the Poesia in the Caribbean) and wouldn't hesitate to book another. :) Beforehand we had only sailed Royal Caribbean but really wanted to try some other lines and MSC can also be significantly cheaper.

The food was no better or worse on the whole. I had disappointing dishes on MSC but then I've had the same on RCI, the pasta and pizza were better, as you would expect on an Italian line. The premium drinks package was much better than RCI (much more included) and I preferred the cocktails on MSC, not as ridiculously sweet as on RCI. The ship décor was very glamorous and the whole ship was kept spotlessly clean.

We had a superior balcony cabin and it was fine, the bathroom seemed slightly larger to me than RCI's. The only thing I didn't like was MSC's bedding, it was a bit old-fashioned with blankets etc. I don't know if that's different on the newer MSC ships.

We didn't see any of the shows but people at our table in the dining room said they were good.

Hope this has helped? We are back on Royal Caribbean in August but that's only because we have family with us who want ice-shows, flowriders etc.

DH and I sailed the MSC Orchestra from Genoa to Ft. Lauderdale. DD and SIL came along and had never been to Europe.

We were on her 19 nights, so feel we have a good perspective.

Everyone of us loved MSC and would sail them again.

We found the food excellent and liked they had a dinner specialty from each country we visited.

Enjoyed the entertainment, international - singing and acrobatics.

Never minded the multi-language announcements - English is not the only language in the world:rolleyes:

Ship and décor was beautiful. Guests were all cordial, made many friends from all over.

Would we sail MSC again - YES!

I've cruised on a couple of RCCL ships in the Caribbean and did the Westbound T/A on MSC's Poesia last fall. There are differences. The msc salad bar was the best, ever. The entertainment was very different. They had a lot of operatic music (very good). They had excellent acrobats and dancing. There were no comics, etc., because of the language problems. On this cruise, there were many nations represented, so it would be too cumbersome for some types of entertainment. When announcements were made in the theatre or ship wide, they went through all of them. That ship would not satisfy many cruisers that like rock climbing, golf courses, etc. it was perfect for those wanting to mainly cruise. The food was good - not particularly outstanding, but I like RCCL, HAL, etc. the ship was BEAUTIFUL. Extremely clean. Of course, it should have been, since that was its first cruise after a long dry dock. The crew was great. The drinks were good. Their all-inclusive drink packages were MUCH more attractive than RCCL's. I paid just over $30 per day for their next to premium package, and RCCL's is over $50 per day. MSC adjusts a lot for their locations, and I've heard they cater more to American tastes while in the Caribbean. I would use MSC again, but it might not be to everyone's taste. I've booked my next cruise on RCCL's "Legend of the Seas" T/A October 30th cruising from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale, the same ports as that last cruise. I should get a chance to make a good comparison. I definitely won't buy the drink package.

Thank you for all the feedback!

Imho, if people who like RCCL also like MSC, the chances are high we will like it too :)

We are not the most active cruisers, i.e. don't use rock climbing wall and minigolf etc. On our last cruise, 15 nights, we didn't even SEE the rock wall and minigolf court, lol.

We like to visit the ports and to relax (nap, read a book, "shop", ...) in between. We like to have decent food and maybe a show here or there (saw TWO shows on last cruise, lol).

Don't mind the many announcements; we're not native English speakers ourselves (but announcements are never made in Dutch anyway).

I have written a review on my experience with the MSC Magnifica from Santos to Hamburg. Maybe it will be helpfull?

Yes, will look for it and read it!

Don't mind the many announcements; we're not native English speakers ourselves (but announcements are never made in Dutch anyway).

We are triligual (dutch, english, german) and understand french and spanish. You actually get more out of an international cruise line if you understand more languages. We thought it was great fun on Costa. You probably had some french and german in school too.

We did a B2B a few yrs ago on the MSC Orchestra! Never again. First wk horrible wait staff, even speaking to the head waiter after the 3rd day. Children running around uncontrollably everywhere (kids sail free with adults in the same cabin), Food was fine. After the horrible experience in the dining room, after the 5th day we asked that for our next sailing to please be seated in another area. much better the 2nd wk.

Archived