Sugar free cocktails

cwestbrook

all you can really get is diet tonic....diet coke....coke zero....I don't think they have sprite zero....I brought on some diet cranberry and had diet cranberry and vodka....also crystal light packs you could use as mixers as well

all you can really get is diet tonic....diet coke....coke zero....I don't think they have sprite zero....I brought on some diet cranberry and had diet cranberry and vodka....also crystal light packs you could use as mixers as well

Yes, they have Sprite Zero, my DOD is vodka and Sprite Zero and have been doing it for years on cruises.

I have never seen any sugar free cocktails. Sometimes I will order a rum and diet coke.

I am not being a jerk in saying this to you, I swear. I just want you to know that rum is made from sugar cane. I do not know if this would make a difference to someone who is diabetic, etc?

I am not being a jerk in saying this to you, I swear. I just want you to know that rum is made from sugar cane. I do not know if this would make a difference to someone who is diabetic, etc?

It may not have anything to do with being diabetic. The calorie counts on those Pina Coladas and Margaritas is off the charts.

Our local restaurants and bars usually offer their own version of "Skinny Girl" cocktails using fresh juices and sugar substitutes. So, instead of an 800 calorie Margarita I can get one at about 150 calories. The only issue is they are expensive and never seem to be reduced in price, even on Happy Hours. I wish the ship would make them. But, don't bother carrying Skinny Girl brand as they are awful! I usually order Sprite Zero & Vodka or a Bloody Mary and skip the umbrella type drinks.

It may not have anything to do with being diabetic. The calorie counts on those Pina Coladas and Margaritas is off the charts.

Our local restaurants and bars usually offer their own version of "Skinny Girl" cocktails using fresh juices and sugar substitutes. So, instead of an 800 calorie Margarita I can get one at about 150 calories. The only issue is they are expensive and never seem to be reduced in price, even on Happy Hours. I wish the ship would make them. But, don't bother carrying Skinny Girl brand as they are awful! I usually order Sprite Zero & Vodka or a Bloody Mary and skip the umbrella type drinks.

Amen. And it's not just the calories, but the carbs as well. A strawberry daiquiri made with the boxed mixes that they use has more carbs than a typical meal. I am type 1 diabetic and count carbs so I know how much insulin to use so I try to avoid those drinks and go for something that uses fruit juices at a bar and use kool aid packets and bottled water or fresh fruit/juice for mixers when I make my own.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

When I go on a cruise and order anything that has a high calorie count I hit the cardio machines at the gym so I really do not gain any noticeable weight but when I drink I drink bud light. There are many ways to avoid high calorie drinks and food by choosing the right drinks and food.

Yes, they have Sprite Zero, my DOD is vodka and Sprite Zero and have been doing it for years on cruises.

I guess you really do learn something new everyday. As simple as this is, I never thought about drinking Vodka and Sprite Zero. Now I can't wait to try it!

Its a very good point lots of people think that by having diet coke and rum they will be ok , not so RUM has alot of sugar.

I was thinking this too and I think alcohol turns to sugar when your body processes it

For the OP I would drink vodka club soda or rum and diets or bring some packets like a lot of people do and bring your own mixers

Alcohol is made from sugar.

Alcohol converts to Acetone when you consume it not sugar. I cant go to Canada because I got a DUI 20 years ago but I learned alot in Alcohol class :D

All alcohol will raise blood sugar...some more than others.

Alcohol is made from sugar.

Alcohol converts to Acetone when you consume it not sugar. I cant go to Canada because I got a DUI 20 years ago but I learned alot in Alcohol class :D

All alcohol will raise blood sugar...some more than others.

Im sure you are correct but I know diabetics that cant drink because it raises their blood sugar (according to the doctor). I wonder why if it converts the sugar to something else

Im sure you are correct but I know diabetics that cant drink because it raises their blood sugar (according to the doctor). I wonder why if it converts the sugar to something else

It's the carbohydrates that raise the sugar. You can buy something that is sugar free, but it still contains carbohydrates so it will raise your sugar. That's why they recommend things like hard candies or graham crackers for diabetics when their sugar drops. A single serving of either will contain around 15-20 carbs which will do the job as long as their sugar isn't dangerously low. That's why they tell some diabetics to avoid pasta and pizza since they are considered complex carbs and raise the sugar substantially in a lot of people. I've had blood sugar readings from 23 to 400+ since I was diagnosed 18 years ago so I've had plenty of time to read and study about this stuff. Every body is different and processes things differently though. What may effect one diabetic a certain way may not have the same results on others. It's all about a person's insulin sensitivity.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for all your suggestions. I am not a diabetic but sugar just turns me into a zombie so I try to stay away from it. I was hoping I could have some sort of fun, fruity type cocktail that everyone talks about but have it sugar free.

I learned about Zilch sugar free drink mixes and have already ordered them. You mix them with water and liquor. I guess I will either mix my own or order a glass of ice and liquor.

There are some serious myths out there so here you go:

- The liver does not metabolize alcohol into sugar. On the contrary, most people will experience a dip in their blood sugar (glucose) levels when consuming alcohol. Alcohol is eventually broken down by the liver into acetate, and finally into carbon dioxide and water---not sugar.

- The glycemic index (GI) of beer, wine, and distilled products is zero.

- There are carbohydrates in all wines.

- There is no sugar in rum. Alcohol is derived from high-carbohydrate fermentables such as sugar, molasses, potatoes, or various grains. If you understand the processes of fermentation and distillation, you'll know that the end result of distillation is ethyl alcohol, a zero-carb liquid.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/hansondj/HealthIssues/1110385823.html

Archived