Bermuda Scooter Rental?

Terpsince74

Does anyone know of a scooter rental place that is walkable from the Heritage Wharf docks where the Breakaway will be docked? Thanks in advance!

You'll probably have better answers in the Bermuda Port of Call.

Yes, it's called Oleander cycles. Short walk off the ship. They will ask you to do a test ride around the block to see if you're able to handle the scooter.

We have rented scooters several times and enjoyed the trip. We use common sense and are very aware of others on the road.

Yes, it's called Oleander cycles. Short walk off the ship. They will ask you to do a test ride around the block to see if you're able to handle the scooter.

Agree...good folks to work with. Discounts for online reservations.

We rented for the 3 days we were there. Equipment was modern and well maintained.

We have rented scooters several times and enjoyed the trip. We use common sense and are very aware of others on the road.

Another vote for Oleander. Well maintined scooters and good people to work with.

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back and thanks again for suggesting Oleander. Talk about an amazing way to see Bermuda. I got lost looking for the South Shore and ended up in St George lol. Headed to Tobacco Bay instead that day. Amazing trip!

• 8 months later...

Usually there is no need for reservations as they have plenty of scooters. Rent for 2 days if you want. I rented one around 10:00 AM or so and returned on the 3rd day before 10. They have a drop off if you want to do that earlier so as to not be bothered on the next day. There is scooter parking right next to the ships. Works out well. Lock and go.

Regarding the parking, you said lock and go. Do they provide the locks to you?

We rented from Oleanders last year when we were there for the day but this time we're there for 3 days so we will want to bring our bike back to the ship. What about your helmets? I know you can fit one in the seat, but we rented a two seater and could not fit the second helmet.

I booked my scooter ahead of time for 3 days. You can probably just pick a scooter up when you get there. There were plenty of bikes available. I found that 2 days was plenty as I just hung around in the port that last day. My suggestion is to take a excursion from there in the morning and that gives you plenty of time to jump back on the ship for your afternoon sail away.

Regarding the lock and helmets, they do provide a lock for you. They have you lock your front tire so that you cannot ride away with the bike. I found this to be a pain if you make frequent stops but not too bad if it is just once or twice in a day. One helmet will definitely fit into the seat but doubt two will. Maybe on the larger bikes they will. You should probably call and ask them that ahead of time. I was a solo rider so it was not applicable.

Regarding parking, it could not be more easy. You can park the bikes right next to the ship. You will be on your bike after a 30 second walk from when you disembark. Truly awesome convenience!

Lock and go? Do you mean like a bicycle or the ignition lock?

Also, every time I go to research the use of scooters on the island, there is always that thread of naysayers telling tourists not to take scooters because the public transportation is so wonderful. I am sure that it is and I am not a big fan of alarmists. I want to enjoy the island so we aren't going to drive like BMX drivers. LOL I am admittedly a chicken, so my husband always drives in a manner that won't make me grab him until he is black and blue.

Has anyone had any experience driving around the island and can offer tips or great out of the way spots to check out?

I rented a scooter for the first time last October, most renters will give you time to take a few test laps before they send you off. I will admit I initially was nervous just take it slow and keep alert. The scooter gives you the freedom of stopping to explore smaller lesser known beaches as well as landmarks.

You might want to check out my review as I spend some time on the scooter topic as well as cool places to visit in Bermuda. YOu can find it here... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1891038

Now this is what I am talking about. Fantastic. This was incredibly helpful and the pictures are perfect! We leave on the 19th. Now I am excited.