Acadia National Park

Afloat

Just returned from a wonderful cruise on the Golden Princess. We made arrangements with At Your Service Taxi Co. and were very pleased. Mary and her minivan met us at the tender pier. We were late due to a lengthy immigration process on the ship. I called and they said just to call when we were on the tender. They did not charge us for waiting.

Mary was very informative and friendly and gave us a local prosepective. I designed the tour with her assistance. We stopped at the Acadia National Park Visitors center, went to the summit of Cadillac Mountain, Sieurs des Monts Nature Center, Wild Gardens of Acadia, Thunder Hole, Sand Beach, and Otter Point. Unlike a bus tour, we stayed as long as we liked at each site. Perfect for me as I love to take photographs and was able to wait to see Thunder Hole in all its glory.

After the park, we got a tour of Bar Harbor. Mary dropped us off at the West End Cafe for a lunch of chowder, lobster, and blueberry pie, all for $19.95.

In all we spent a very enjoyable 3 1/2 hours.:)

Thanks, afloat. Our roll calls on SIX different boards located only one couple on our 9/16 Seven Seas Navigator cruise, and they've pre-booked ship's excursions in all ports. I guess we're stuck with the ship's tour or Oli's Trolley: $50 per hour for five or six hours doesn't make sense for two people.

Two days to go until our cruise!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Jan and other folks from Maine:

I have hired a van to take our group of 14 on a 5-hour tour that includes several stops in Acadia, as well as Northeast Harbor and Seal Harbor.

I am now exploring possibilities for lunch in Bar Harbor for many of us once we return from the tour. The places that seemed the most attractive/interesting with respect to availability for lunch, variety of menu, etc. appeared to be Geddy's, Galyn's, and West End Cafe. Any other suggestions? I'm wondering whether any of these places accept reservations, since there are so many of us and we would not like to wait for a table, as we want to have a little time to explore Bar Harbor or walk the shoreline path before returning to the tender dock by around 4 p.m.

Thanks. David

What is the obsession that people have about eating when traveling? Here you travel miles to tour Bar Harbor and your main concern is eating? As you stated, your time is short, so there is little time to explore. There is plenty of food on the ship. Spend your valuable time in port taking in the sites and scenery.

We had a lobster lunch at Stewman's Lobster Pound while in Bar Harbor. We ususally don't eat off the ship but a lobster lunch was too good to pass up. It is right on the pier area and a short walk from the tender stop. Several locals recommended it.

Dave and elaine

DSC_0006-1.JPG.d358cb2cea422a86bab747904675e7ca.JPG

Archived