Acadia National Park

Afloat

David - I really can't answer your question on reservations - but you could always try calling - I know that there have been times at Getty's that large tables have been reserved for parties (that's been in the evening though) - Do you know how many ships will be in port the day you will be there? I've seen days when 2 ships are in and have really stretched the town to capacity.

I think the van is a lovely idea - I'm glad that it worked out. If you need any phone numbers let me know - although the link to the Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce should have all the numbers needed. Enjoy! Jan

Hi Jan:

I think I've got the phone numbers -- and the restaurants we're looking into (geddy's, Galyn's, and the West End Cafe all have websites with email contact info.

During our stop in Portland, most of us are considering a 3.5 hour tour of 3 lighthouses (and one museum). The cost is something like $38, which seems to be a fairly reasonable price. Do you think it would be worth my time and effort to check into hiring a tour van for a similar tour in Portland, or just go with the RCI-sponsored tour? If the former, any suggestions on who to contact?

Also, any recommendations for a place to have lunch (with lobster on the menu) in Portland?

Thanks for your help.

David

Bookbug - Let's say that we sign on to a bus tour of Acadia. When it's over, can we stay and hike around? Do we have to leave, come back and pay a fee? I'm trying to picture the best way to fit in everything we want to enjoy in Bar Harbor. (I was there when I was 12...........the memory is a little hazy.....) :)

Oh, and if we stay, how far and long a walk is it back to the docks?

Carol

If you are asking about staying in the park, I don't think that is feasible. Even if the tour left you (would they?) it would not be real convenient to try to hike back to town. It may be one of the smaller national parks but I would not try to hike back to town. If you take the tour they will definitely hit the high points and when you return to the the dock you will be basically downtown! You can easily walk the whole of downtown for shopping, etc. and there are a few shore paths around the harbor for short hikes or you may be there in time to walk across the 'bar' that gives the town its name, depending upon the tides.

What times are the tours, when do you get to Bar Harbor, how long do the tours last, and when do you sail again? A definite time frame can help us help you!

Hi Jan and other folks from Maine:

I have hired a van to take our group of 14 on a 5-hour tour that includes several stops in Acadia, as well as Northeast Harbor and Seal Harbor.

I am now exploring possibilities for lunch in Bar Harbor for many of us once we return from the tour. The places that seemed the most attractive/interesting with respect to availability for lunch, variety of menu, etc. appeared to be Geddy's, Galyn's, and West End Cafe. Any other suggestions? I'm wondering whether any of these places accept reservations, since there are so many of us and we would not like to wait for a table, as we want to have a little time to explore Bar Harbor or walk the shoreline path before returning to the tender dock by around 4 p.m.

Thanks.

David

Galyn's accepts reservations 1-207-288-9706

West Street Cafe advertises 'groups welcome' so I would assume resevations for the group(?) 1-207-288-5242. They have a great 'downeast special' Cup of chowder, lobster, and blueberry pie for $21.

The Bar Harbor Inn, next to the pier, ofers a full lobster bake from chowder to dessert for $31. It is served on the terrace from 11:30 until dusk. No reservations are required (though it may get busy) The terrace overlooks the harbor.

Also a few more numbers:

Bar Harbor Chamber of Commerce 1-888-540-9990

Island Explorer (free local transport to hiking trails, beaches, etc.) 1-207-667-5796

Mount Desert Island Taxi and tour 1-207-288-3333

Margaret Todd harbor cruises 1-207-288-2984

Acadia bike rentals 1-800-526-8615

Aquaterra Adventures (sea kayak tours) 1-877-386-4124

Acadian Nature Cruise 1-800-942-5374

Lulu Lobster Boat ride 1-207-963-2341 or 1-866-235-2341

David - I don't know a lot about Portland (except the bars in the Old Port section from my auditing days) perhaps bookbug does and I know that Rich would be able to give more information as he lives right in Portland. I don't think that he is following this thread, but he has been answering other threads pertaining to Maine. $38 doesn't sound like a bad price though, and I like DeMillo's for lunch or dinner (a little pricey).

If you have the opportunity, please let us all know how well your cruise and tours worked out. Best of all. Enjoy! Jan

Hi Jan & Bookbug:

Thanks for the information. I noticed an add for Demillo's in Portland, too. I'll try to check it out and see how pricey it is.

The West Street Cafe sounds like a good bet; in fact -- all 3 (Geddy's and Galyn's (look pretty good). All of them appear to be located fairly close to the town pier. I guess I'll contact them and see about reservations. It's a little tricky, because I don't know if all 14 of us will want to eat a big lunch. But I do know that several of us want to have the downeast special -- and that means eating a big lunch.

Thanks, again.

David

Hi-

In Bar Harbor, my favorite is a little place near the dock. When you leave the terminal, turn right and go a block or two (West St?) and it is on the left. This is a small place that may have a table or two outside and one table inside. It is narrow and I believe it is painted white. Not fancy at all but, without question, the best, freshest lobster in Bar Harbor. Sorry that I have neither a name or exact address for you, but I believe that Jan may be able to provide a few more details.

In Portland, there are a number of places that are good. Walter's on Exchange St. is very good (and popular) for lunch with excellent seafood (but not lobster every day). On the waterfront (Commercial St.) is Gilbert's Chowder House. Across the bridge in South Portland is Newick's (take a taxi for maybe $5-8), probably the most authentic lobster bake, etc., in the area. I am not a fan of deMillo's - the location and view are wonderful but, IMHO, there is better food in Portland.

Hope that this helps.

Hi Jan & Bookbug:

Thanks for the information. I noticed an add for Demillo's in Portland, too. I'll try to check it out and see how pricey it is.

The West Street Cafe sounds like a good bet; in fact -- all 3 (Geddy's and Galyn's (look pretty good). All of them appear to be located fairly close to the town pier. I guess I'll contact them and see about reservations. It's a little tricky, because I don't know if all 14 of us will want to eat a big lunch. But I do know that several of us want to have the downeast special -- and that means eating a big lunch.

Thanks, again.

David

DeMillos is reasonable for a nice seafood restaurant--$20 average for entrees.

What times are the tours, when do you get to Bar Harbor, how long do the tours last, and when do you sail again? A definite time frame can help us help you!

We dock at 7 A.M., our tour is at 10 A.M., and is

"This scenic tour is approximately 2 - 1/2 hours long and makes three stops (15 min. each) in Acadia National Park.

For your comfort and enjoyment all tours are done by bus due to the variety of weather conditions we experience here and the length of the tour. We were Acadia's first touring company established in 1955. This tour is a must for nature lovers, history buffs and photographers.

Tour includes Bar Harbor, summer estates, Acadia's flora and fauna, geology, wildlife, Cadillac Mt., Sieur De Monts Spring, Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, Otter Cliffs and the Jordan Pond House."

The ship leaves Bar Harbor at 5 P.M., and we are to be back on board at least 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time. Bar Harbor IS a tendered port, so we need to leave extra time for that.

We, too, are looking for that special lobster lunch, but away from all these other people. LOL.

Carol

Thanks to all of you for your recommendations for restaurants in Bar Harbor and Portland. I did read something about Gilbert's, although I don't think they have a working website with a menu. I'll let you know how it all turns out.

David

We dock at 7 A.M., our tour is at 10 A.M., and is

"This scenic tour is approximately 2 - 1/2 hours long and makes three stops (15 min. each) in Acadia National Park.

For your comfort and enjoyment all tours are done by bus due to the variety of weather conditions we experience here and the length of the tour. We were Acadia's first touring company established in 1955. This tour is a must for nature lovers, history buffs and photographers.

Tour includes Bar Harbor, summer estates, Acadia's flora and fauna, geology, wildlife, Cadillac Mt., Sieur De Monts Spring, Sand Beach, Thunder Hole, Otter Cliffs and the Jordan Pond House."

The ship leaves Bar Harbor at 5 P.M., and we are to be back on board at least 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time. Bar Harbor IS a tendered port, so we need to leave extra time for that.

We, too, are looking for that special lobster lunch, but away from all these other people. LOL.

Carol

I am trying to figure only three stops that encompasses the areas they mention. You would definitely need the fifteen at Thunder Hole. It takes a certain wave to hear the thunder and you may need to wait a bit! I can't see just fifteen at the Jordan Pond House. That isn't enough time for a popover! The top of Cadillac is a definite stop for some breathtaking photos. There are walking areas around the top for a full panaramic view and even a gift shop. Sand Beach will require you to walk a short distance from the parking area down the steps to the beach. Check out the 'sand' and the water temperature! You could spend a lot more time in Acadia but that can be true of any port of call. It is always a matter of that darn schedule. Enjoy the tour! You will have plenty of time to see the town and get some lobster! Easily walked with many neat shops. There is one called Get Clocked that has every type of clock you could think of and be sure to check out Jekyll and Hyde. These are all on the main street. This street will get very crowded with passengers and the normal summer crowds! What day is this all happening for you?

Bookbug:

My group of 14 will be on Enchantment and we will be in Bar Harbor on Tursday, June 11. We have hired a van for a 5 hour tour of Acadia, Northeast Harbor and Seal Harbor -- and then plan to have lunch in town and wander around town until it's time to return to the ship, not later than 4:30. Our 5-hour tour should start around 8 a.m.

David

We just made arrangements with At Your Service Taxi Co. in Bar Harbor for a mini-van and tour guide for Acadia Park. They will meet us right at the pier and take us through the park. If we decide we want to extend our tour to any other place, they said that would be no problem..They will stop at any site for photo opps. Their web-site is: http://atyourservicetaxi.com/services.html

Bookbug53: Our day in Bar Harbor is Thursday, August 18th. I am thinking that they are NOT giving us time to buy popovers at Jordan Pond House! This will disappoint my teens, but I'm ok with it - no high carb food for me!

I still need that personal "lobster restaurant" recommendation that no one else will know about! LOL!

Carol

Bookbug53: Our day in Bar Harbor is Thursday, August 18th. I am thinking that they are NOT giving us time to buy popovers at Jordan Pond House! This will disappoint my teens, but I'm ok with it - no high carb food for me!

I still need that personal "lobster restaurant" recommendation that no one else will know about! LOL!

Carol

Bar Harbor village is very tiny and trying to find a restaurant that no one else finds can be difficult. You will really know what I mean when you get to town. Let me do a little hunting and see what I can come up with. Going to be gone for a few days so be patient! I will get back to you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

We were in Bar Harbor in July on the Enchantment and had a GREAT time! For getting around, check out the free Island Explorer...

For something "off the beaten path" look into sailing with Downeast Friendship Sloop Charters, a smaller schooner called Helen Brooks that only takes six people at a time--great captain and lobsterbake while we sailed! We thought about the Margaret Todd that takes 150 people but heard it is quite crowded, as my cousin noted after visiting BH last year. We wanted something traditional but less touristy, and after being on the Enchantment with so many people we thought it was great to get out on a schooner with just our family...reasonably priced and it was walking distance from the tender.

I found them on the chamber of commerce website, and their link is www.downeastfriendshipsloop.com I believe they also have a boat in the other harbor in Acadia--southwest harbor? Very nice and knowledgable crew and a gorgeous maine boat.

The free bus was great--after our sail we walked to the village park and then took the bus through the park loop road. So beautiful--and as far as placed to eat, the lobster on the boat was the best we have had...right from the trap supposedly!

We are already planning to go back this fall...by car, and probably will stay at the Inn on the water. It is was our favorite spot on the trip...

• 2 weeks later...

sagitar or anyone who has taken a bus tour of Acadia National Park and not booked it through the cruise line, how was the transportation? I could not tell from the one photo I saw if is a refurbished school bus or smaller.

Thanks! Susan

Golden Princess this coming September!

Hi,

We drove from Augusta, Maine and it was narrow two lane roads. We did enjoy seeing Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park, it was beautiful and we had a wonderful dinner but can't remember the name of the restaurant. It was overlooking the harbor and on the main drag in downtown. We did do it all in one day but only saw the main sights. Cadillac Mountain was beautiful in May, though windy. The view is awesome. If you can find a tour it may be easier than trying to drive yourself. You will enjoy the views and see all the important stuff and have less stress on you. We have found RCI tours to be well worth it in the past, though we have not done a New England cruise yet, we had made the trip by car. Although the area is somewhat compact the tourist traffic might make the trip rather chaotic. Make it easy on yourself and leave the driving to the experts................... MJN

sagitar or anyone who has taken a bus tour of Acadia National Park and not booked it through the cruise line, how was the transportation? I could not tell from the one photo I saw if is a refurbished school bus or smaller.

Thanks! Susan

Golden Princess this coming September!

Yes, it's a refurbished school bus, but perfectly comfortable. Our guide, Roger, is BEYOND fantastic. He is a 6th generation Bar Harbor man, and his love of the land shows. Don't book through the ship - you get the tour about two blocks from where the tenders dock. We paid $25 per adult; the ship charges way more, for NOTHING extra. Do it on your own!

Oh, and don't miss the soft-serve blueberry ice cream on Main Street! (Jordan Pond Ice Cream) YUM!

Carol

• 2 weeks later...

Since our last week at the College of the Atlanti, 6 years ago, an amazing bus system has been put into place. It even takes you along the "Park Loop Road" with stops at Sand beach, Thunderhole, and Otter Cliffs. I was amazed to see that.

So, I would either hire a van or limo or even ride the public bus; rather than take a bus tour. I was painting on the rocks near Otter Point when a bus flew by at a speed that would make enjoying Acadia impossible! I felt sorry for those people.

We ate lobster on the dock by the whale watching boats. We went on the 4:45 whale watch trip. We saw 13 whales: finback, minke and breaching humpback. They offered a discount at the restaurant with our stubs. The food was good. DH had lobster newburg in a sourdough bread bowl...excellent. They also serve a delicious cornbread. On the whole lobsters were more expensive than our last trip to Maine...but so is everything else!

Archived