Flying in from the cold

ljalma

We cruise in January. It will most likely be very cold at the Des Moines airport Do most people leave their winter coats in the car? Do you dress in layers or just dress for the 80 degree weather for your arrival?:confused:

We cruise in January. It will most likely be very cold at the Des Moines airport Do most people leave their winter coats in the car? Do you dress in layers or just dress for the 80 degree weather for your arrival?:confused:

If you are leaving from Florida in January it will probably be in the 70's and if we are having a cold spell the 60's .

When flying to a cruise in October, I wear shorts and a light jacket. I can handle fall weather that long in shorts. Last time, in January, I wore skinny jeans, warm ugg-style boots, a t-shirt and a light fleece. I can go without a coat for the two minutes it takes to get inside.

Coats, gloves, hats and snow boots stay in the car. Left in 7 degrees and a foot of snow this past February and before the snow finished melting off the wheels of our luggage, we were plenty warm in the airport wearing only a light jacket over a T-shirt with jeans and tennis shoes. The jacket was gone long before landing in Florida (83 there) and the jeans not long after arriving.

For our January cruises, I'll layer in jeans or khaki pants, a t-shirt and a hoodie that I can pull off and tie around my waist if needed. Coats stay in the car - I have worn gloves when we had a long shuttle from parking to an airport terminal at RDU then tucked the gloves in the pocket of my suitcase. This was when an ice storm was moving in and it was horribly cold and windy and we knew we'd have time outside to get to the terminal.

It can get cold in Florida in January - I've been in Miami when it was in the 40s but that's unusual. The hoodie comes in handy if you have cool mornings at sea (which also occasionally happens in January) or if any of the lounges on the ship are cold from the AC. I've also been on some cold airplanes so it's nice to have something along to cover up with.

Bbbbrrr...sure makes me glad I don't live in the north. LOL.

I second the hoodie suggestion. And if the Florida weather looks nice, be sure to pack your swim suit and cover up in your carry on so you can enjoy the pool on embarkation day when its not crowded. You can change into it at the Lido restroom.

Have a great cruise!

We got back from our last cruise in early November I didn't take any coat or anything long sleeve to wear home, I didn't take a coat or anything long sleeved to wear on the trip down or back. It was freezing when we got back and there were so many people waiting for the hotel shuttles at the airport that we waited outside so we would not miss ours. I was froze! Next time at least a sweatshirt for the trip.

This past cruise we left from newark when it was -20 out. I left all of it in the car. The flight attendant asked me where my coat was, I said "In the car, this flight is going to Florida, right?"

As long as you can handle short spurts of being outside, i.e. from car to terminal, I would say leave it in the car.

About 5 years ago we flew out of STL just a few days after Christmas. It was cold and there was snow on the ground. I wore my leather coat and boots onto The plane. My husband only wore his windbreaker. It was warm enough in Miami that I had to carry my coat through the airport and to the hotel.

Now, on our return trip my husband, who had commented that I was crazy for not leaving my coat in the car, was wishing he had something more. it was 33 degrees when we debarked the ship in Miami. Even the theater of the Glory where we waited to debark was quite frigid. We left the boat and had to go through an unheated hall to claim our luggage and then stand outside in 33 degree weather to catch our transport to the airport. Once we got to the airport we were told that do to the cold snap there were delays due to de-icing etc. Our flight had been delayed by 6 hours. We sat around in an airport with no furnace for over 6 hours. My husband finally went and bought a little throw blanket from one of the gift shops and wrapped himself in it as did many others waiting that day.

Now, this year we flew to Seattle, Washington where the temps are more moderate than here in the Midwest in February. I only took my lightweight trench which is more of a jacket. Many places were putting their bedding plants in their gardens while we were there. So my jacket was about perfect for their temps. However, the day we were supposed to go home a huge snow storm hit STL. When we finally made it home 2 days later we were left dragging our suitcases through piles of snow left sitting at the curbs by the snow plows and standing outside in 30 degree weather to wait for our shuttle to the paring lot. I was very much left wishing for my boots and warm leather coat.

One year I packed nothing but lightweight canvas tennies and sandals for our cruise. We drove to Tampa that year. We got caught in a huge snowstorm driving through the south. I had my coat in the car, but no appropriate shoes. When we finally found a store that hadn't closed due to the snow, I had my husband take me there to buy boots and socks. MY little canvas tennies and sandals just weren't cutting it any more.

SO the moral of my story is be prepared ... you never know when Mother Nature will turn on you.

Not sure exactly what the female equivalents are, but I would wear:

Long sleeve shirt

Sweater

Sport Coat

Rain jacket

Probably the closest I can think of for a gal is sweatshirt, sweater, and light jacket. I'll also keep a pair of socks out as makeshift mittens.

Roy

You may need to put some summer clothes in your carry-on if you are going to dress for winter while you travel. I once found myself on the ship for several hours wearing long pants and a long sleeve shirt while waiting for my luggage to get to the room.

Coming from Pittsburgh - that what we do!

I am usually "cold" so I do a long sleeve t-shirt and heavy sweatshirt when we travel. When I get to Florida I can usually dump the sweatshirt and it's not too much to pack and haul around for the rest of the trip. ;)

This past cruise we left from newark when it was -20 out. I left all of it in the car. The flight attendant asked me where my coat was, I said "In the car, this flight is going to Florida, right?"

As long as you can handle short spurts of being outside, i.e. from car to terminal, I would say leave it in the car.

LOL...that's our "logic". We just walk FAST ;) :D

I dress in lightweight skinny jeans or pants and a thin long-sleeve or a short-sleeve shirt, so I'm not too uncomfortable in any weather. We leave winter coats in the car but wear light to medium weight coats that we can throw in the bag when we arrive, because the evenings can still be chilly in Florida and on the ship. I've been at Disney one day when it was 40 degrees in the morning and evening and, on a different trip, in the Bahamas when the high was 57 degrees, so I prepare for all weather. We also bring our swimsuits in the carry on, so we can be the first in the hot tub. :)

My kids are older so I just drop them and all the luggage at our terminal so we don't have to haul it through the cold, then I find a parking spot and hustle in shivering.

Next cruise, I'll drop myself and my daughter at the terminal and let my 16 year old son go park the car. He runs faster than I do and wears shorts in the winter in Michigan anyway.

We leave the winter coat in the car and wear a light jacket or hoody since we will need one on the ship anyway.

We cruise every January. Usually below 0 when we leave MN and 70-80's in FL. We leave coats in the car and never had a problem.

As many people know, Chicago has crazy weather. I only cruised in April so far, and that's when Chicago gets the worst of it. When I left, it was in the 40's, only to find myself dressed in jeans and a jacket in muggy 80-degree weather after arriving in Florida. On the way back, I'd be shivering in the cold lake-effect winds. Since I usually take a taxi to the airport, leaving stuff in the car is not an option.

I solved the problem by changing in the airport restroom or in the airplane lavatory, then stuffing the original clothes into my bags. Not the simplest solution, since jeans and jackets are bulky when packed, but I don't want to be dressed uncomfortablty, either.

Thanks for all your great advice. We are flying from Australia in a few days and although it's not as cold as you guys get it still around 12 degrees C here and I see it's about 32 in New York which is our first stop. All I can say is can't wait to get warm!!!!

Thrift Car Rentals has a parking and shuttle service near the airport. Coats stay in the car, jump on the shuttle and off to the terminal. On the return trip, once you call for the shuttle, they clear the snow off your car and start it for you. All warm and cozy for the ride home. Pay extra and they'll detail your car while you're gone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived