'New' Wine & Dine Package?

I recently purchased a 7 bottle Wine & Dine Package for our May 12th sailing on Allure. The cost was £141.28 which equates to a price in US$ of $195 plus 15% gratuity ($225.24) at the exchange rate at the time.

Shortly after purchase, my order was changed to the 'New' Wine & Dine Package which provided a different selection, which has been discussed on other threads. https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&srcid=0B1y6fxoIXyDxZHloNEtTX3ZfVTA

We were happy with the choices available and looked forward to purchasing this on our upcoming Splendour sailing in October.

The ability to purchase the Wine & Dine packages has just become available.

However, when I look at the choice it is only the 'old' Platinum Wine & Dine Package that is available. https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&srcid=0B1y6fxoIXyDxSUVzT3R2MV91TVk

So that's confusion number 1.

However, when I look at the price for a 7 bottle package it is £165 plus 15% gratuity, wow. That's an increase of nearly £49 which equates to a £7 per bottle increase as the new total package price will be £189.75!

The cruise sails from Venice and so I can't see the £165 price including VAT as would be the case if it departed Barcelona as we have experienced previously.

Has anyone who has cruised on Splendour recently got any info to share?

I have been trying to figure out what is going on too. For my upcoming Legend Panama Canal cruise I purchased a 7 bottle package under Wine and Dine but when I look it up now it shows it as the Platinum package. And they charged me $250 for the seven bottles. :eek:

I am tempted to just cancel it.

Bill

I have been trying to figure out what is going on too. For my upcoming Legend Panama Canal cruise I purchased a 7 bottle package under Wine and Dine but when I look it up now it shows it as the Platinum package. And they charged me $250 for the seven bottles. :eek:

I am tempted to just cancel it.

Bill

I just looked on my May 2014 Explorer booking and the seven bottle wine package is just $220 but they automatically add a $33 gratuitiy to make it $253. They didn't add gratuities on the wine order for Legend. I don't get it. :confused:

Bill

I just looked on my May 2014 Explorer booking and the seven bottle wine package is just $220 but they automatically add a $33 gratuitiy to make it $253. They didn't add gratuities on the wine order for Legend. I don't get it. :confused:

Bill

Hi Bill, I don't understand it because the latest price they quote for you of $250 equates roughly to the £165 I'm quoted here in the UK, but mine definitely says 15% gratuity will be added to that price.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sailing on Splendour in September. Had previously looked at the Gold package for 5 bottles. Now see can only get Platinum and it must be ordered before sailing. £125 for 5 bottles before 15% added on is v pricey.:eek: I will wait till we get on the ship and buy per bottle. I suspect I will not be alone!

I am sailing on Splendour in September. Had previously looked at the Gold package for 5 bottles. Now see can only get Platinum and it must be ordered before sailing. £125 for 5 bottles before 15% added on is v pricey.:eek: I will wait till we get on the ship and buy per bottle. I suspect I will not be alone!

Are you sure you must purchase before sailing? That would be different than the cruises we have been on.

This is what it says on the booking page:

"This package must be pre-reserved a minimum of four days before your sail date"

Confused? I certainly am!

... and here in the UK we have a different RCI website that seems to have a lot less info. Will just leave till board. Not really a major issue. May drink more cocktails instead!

This is what it says on the booking page:

"This package must be pre-reserved a minimum of four days before your sail date"

Confused? I certainly am!

I think it's poor wording on their part. I believe they mean that if you want to pre-reserve the wine package, then it must be done four days before the cruise. Otherwise you would have to purchase on board.

That would sound more logical. Will wait with bated breath - thanks!

I think it's better to purchase on board because if you have specific wines in mind, you can confirm that they have them in stock.

I have encountered some of the same confusion concerning what "packages" are actually available (not even yet getting into pricing :rolleyes:).

Last month we were on Med cruise aboard Serenade. The wine package offered was the "Wine & Dine Package", with the newer updated wine selections (very nice package).

In looking at our upcoming Brilliance sailing, the only wine package offered is the "old" Platinum Package. The pricing is the same as what we paid on the Serenade last month, but the included wines are much less to our liking.

When I looked at our upcoming Explorer sailing, the offered package is "Wine & Dine" one. Being totally confused, I tried to contact RCI (via e-mail) asking just what the current offerings are. Of course, during the intervening ten days, the only response has been the auto-reply that RCI has received my request and the e=mail will be responded to "in the order it was received".

It is enough to drive one to drink, if they knew what was available :D

Ray in NH -- feeling better now :)

My TA suggested that I wait until on board to book an wine package so that I dont have to pay tax - but I dont see that listed on this either. I am a bit confused by it all. I think i will just have to see what they have and go from there. All I know is that the wine I like is $15 in Texas and $40 on the ship - nice margin on that one for the cruise line. I guess I should remember that I am on vacation and just enjoy.

My TA suggested that I wait until on board to book an wine package so that I dont have to pay tax - but I dont see that listed on this either. I am a bit confused by it all. I think i will just have to see what they have and go from there. All I know is that the wine I like is $15 in Texas and $40 on the ship - nice margin on that one for the cruise line. I guess I should remember that I am on vacation and just enjoy.

Probably about the same markup as a restaurant would have.

I think it's better to purchase on board because if you have specific wines in mind, you can confirm that they have them in stock.

Very good advice - on our Brilliance TA they were out of several of the (now defunct) Diamond list and were unwilling to substitute comparable wines, so it ended up being a bit of a ripoff.

RCI doesn't charge tax on the package when you reserve online. But in certain US ports they will add sales on items (including drinks by the glass) that you purchase before you depart.

The margin is comparable to what you would find in any land-based restaurant. In some instances, the markup is only 1-1/2x retail, which is eminently fair IMO.

Very good advice - on our Brilliance TA they were out of several of the (now defunct) Diamond list and were unwilling to substitute comparable wines, so it ended up being a bit of a ripoff. ....

Surprises me that they would not make an acceptable substitution. We have a TA coming in October and I was seriously thinking of purchasing the new package since the list has a couple of wines we enjoy that are significantly more expensive outside the package. Guess I'll have to ask not only if they are in stock, but how many bottles are in stock.;)

I'm still debating whether to book in advance online because prior to July 1st Splendour, when doing the same itinerary as we will in October, in effect called at a non EU port in Dubrovnik. However, as of this week Croatia is a part of the EU and so in effect this itinerary no longer stops at a non EU port and someone who is onboard now has advised that subsequent sailings will have 21% Italian VAT (Value Added Tax) added to all onboard purchases.

This never happened to us on our Mariner sailing out of Civitavecchia last year which only visited EU ports.

When departing from Barcelona and only visiting EU ports I am used to paying the Spanish VAT of 8% (well it was it has probably increased by now) but never the highest rate as is being implied now.

If this is the case an for departures from Italian ports which only visit EU ports, then onboard prices are going to soar to ridiculous levels.

Oh and btw I was also advised that even though the website shows the Platinum package, what is being sold onboard is the 'New' Wine & Dine package.

However, if the new price is £165 + 15% gratuity, then +21% Italian VAT, this results in a price of £229.60 equating to £32.80 or a £12.57 increase per bottle on what I paid onboard Allure about 6 weeks ago, yikes!

I'm still debating whether to book in advance online because prior to July 1st Splendour, when doing the same itinerary as we will in October, in effect called at a non EU port in Dubrovnik. However, as of this week Croatia is a part of the EU and so in effect this itinerary no longer stops at a non EU port and someone who is onboard now has advised that subsequent sailings will have 21% Italian VAT (Value Added Tax) added to all onboard purchases.

This never happened to us on our Mariner sailing out of Civitavecchia last year which only visited EU ports.

When departing from Barcelona and only visiting EU ports I am used to paying the Spanish VAT of 8% (well it was it has probably increased by now) but never the highest rate as is being implied now.

If this is the case an for departures from Italian ports which only visit EU ports, then onboard prices are going to soar to ridiculous levels.

Oh and btw I was also advised that even though the website shows the Platinum package, what is being sold onboard is the 'New' Wine & Dine package.

However, if the new price is £165 + 15% gratuity, then +21% Italian VAT, this results in a price of £229.60 equating to £32.80 or a £12.57 increase per bottle on what I paid onboard Allure about 6 weeks ago, yikes!

Hi Peter,

Thank you for passing this information (highlighted above) along. I think I will still wait until onboard to see just what the "new policy" is that sailing. :rolleyes:

Totally agree that the pricing you state is getting totally out of hand. Fortunately, our two cruises from Barcelona stopped in non-EU ports (Coatia & Turkey), so we avoided the Spanish VAT.

Ray in NH

That is good to hear. Can someone post the link to the new Wine & Dine package?

thanks

Bill

Thanks Bob.

Don't know if you like reds, but the Spy Valley Pinot and the Mondavi Cab are both in excess of $50 outside the package. Those are pretty good deals with the package.

Don't know if you like reds, but the Spy Valley Pinot and the Mondavi Cab are both in excess of $50 outside the package. Those are pretty good deals with the package.

I'm not much for Pinot but I do like a Cab, thanks for the tip.

For our upcoming Brilliance TA Aug 31 from Harwich to Boston the wine package is shown with the "old" logo and "old" list wine offerings.

When I add it to the shopping cart it shows as below with the "old" logo picture but as "New Wine and Dine Package at $190 plus 15% gratuity for 5 bottles.

rc-winebev-plat.gif

New! Wine and Dine Platinum 5 bottles $190 USD

s.gifs.gifs.gif

Total Bottles: 5 Subtotal: *190.00 USD

Gratuity: *28.50 USD

Total: *218.50 US

We're doing b2b cruises so I then checked the Sept 15 cruise. For the same 5 bottle package the price is now $165 plus 15% gratuity.

rc-winebev-plat.gif

New! Wine and Dine Platinum 5 bottle package $165 USD

Total Bottles: 5 Subtotal: *165.00 USD

Gratuity: *24.75 USDTotal: *189.75 USD

Our Oasis and Serenade cruises have the "new" logo and list with a 5 bottle package for $165.

I then looked at the Legend TA from Ft. Lauderdale to Copenhagen in 2014. Wine package pricing is the same as what is shown above for Brilliance out of Boston, $165 plus 15% gratuity for a 5 bottle package but it's the "old" logo and list.

I'm trying to find some logic in all of this and can't. Unfortunately that's not an unusual occurrence with RCI.

Interestingly the difference between $165 and $190 is just about $15%.

We really like many of the "new" offerings and find the package to be worth purchasing with these new wines added.

For our upcoming Brilliance TA Aug 31 from Harwich to Boston the wine package is shown with the "old" logo and "old" list wine offerings.

When I add it to the shopping cart it shows as below with the "old" logo picture but as "New Wine and Dine Package at $190 plus 15% gratuity for 5 bottles.

New! Wine and Dine Platinum 5 bottles $190 USD

s.gifs.gifs.gif

Total Bottles: 5 Subtotal: *190.00 USD

Gratuity: *28.50 USD

Total: *218.50 US

We're doing b2b cruises so I then checked the Sept 15 cruise. For the same 5 bottle package the price is now $165 plus 15% gratuity.

New! Wine and Dine Platinum 5 bottle package $165 USD

Total Bottles: 5 Subtotal: *165.00 USD

Gratuity: *24.75 USDTotal: *189.75 USD

Our Oasis and Serenade cruises have the "new" logo and list with a 5 bottle package for $165.

I then looked at the Legend TA from Ft. Lauderdale to Copenhagen in 2014. Wine package pricing is the same as what is shown above for Brilliance out of Boston, $165 plus 15% gratuity for a 5 bottle package but it's the "old" logo and list.

I'm trying to find some logic in all of this and can't. Unfortunately that's not an unusual occurrence with RCI.

Interestingly the difference between $165 and $190 is just about $15%.

We really like many of the "new" offerings and find the package to be worth purchasing with these new wines added.

You made me curious, so I did some checking on several cruises we have booked. The numbers listed are the prices for the 5, 7, 10, and 12 bottle packages, before any gratutiy is added.

Enchantment, Sep-2013 ... 165, 220, 300, 335

Legend TA, Oct 2013 ........ 190, 250, 345, 335

Serenade, Dec-2013 ......... 165, 220, 300, 335

So at least in our case, the price is higher for the Legend TA leaving from Barcelona. I don't know if it's some sort of tax added, or just a website error. One thing that does seem to be an error is that the 12 bottle price is less than the 10 bottle price for the Legend TA. I went through the process of adding this to my shopping bag and it came to $385.25 ($335 plus 15%).

You made me curious, so I did some checking on several cruises we have booked. The numbers listed are the prices for the 5, 7, 10, and 12 bottle packages, before any gratutiy is added.

Enchantment, Sep-2013 ... 165, 220, 300, 335

Legend TA, Oct 2013 ........ 190, 250, 345, 335

Serenade, Dec-2013 ......... 165, 220, 300, 335

So at least in our case, the price is higher for the Legend TA leaving from Barcelona. I don't know if it's some sort of tax added, or just a website error. One thing that does seem to be an error is that the 12 bottle price is less than the 10 bottle price for the Legend TA. I went through the process of adding this to my shopping bag and it came to $385.25 ($335 plus 15%).

For our Brilliance TA in Aug ....190, 250, 345, 385

It appears cruises originating in Europe have higher pricing plus a 15% gratuity. On our Radiance Australia cruise we were told the higher pricing for drinks/wine included the gratuity (since many Europeans/Australians did not want to tip) but our experience was different and the gratuity was added to the higher price.

Archived