Hubbard Glacier viewing this year

Tweedy

As I have mentioned before, we did have a ranger on our 2011 Amsterdam Cruise. Here is what our Explorer says from our Hubbard Glacier Day:

It says "2:30PM - Park Ranger Presentation. Queen's Lounge, 4 & 5."

I also spoke with the ranger on the bow. He is the one who told me our ship got as close as ships get to Hubbard Glacier. Other passengers said they had been even closer. Perhaps not all ships have a ranger on them in Hubbard Glacier, but our 14 day cruise did have one.

I am referring to currently. HAL isn't even doing Hubbard this year? My information from several sources, has no rangers boarding from Yakutat. I value accurate current information. So maybe, some first hand cruisers can also report?

Two years ago, on the Westerdam, we attempted to get into the Hubbard glacier area but was socked in with fog. We sat there for a few hours hoping for a clearing but time ran out and we had to turn around and leave. What was most frustrating was that as we were leaving the fog was lifting. :mad: I also believe that we had a ranger on board. It was explained to us that when the weather is generally warm (we were in Sitka the day before and it was in the high 70's-low 80's) then the glacier will be fogged in. A trade off, I guess.

I guess it's like here in the bay area. When the east bay is hot, the coast gets the fog.

Reasonably close last week on the island princess (about 2 miles). Agree with the slower sailing speeds and shortened glacier viewing time at the Hubbard. We also had a very slow transit from Ketchikan to Vancouver island yesterday (the Disney ship that left port with us diverted to sail the true inside passage while we stayed far from land). I personally did not mind as it provided some great whale and seabird watching opportunities from the "secret" forward decks.

There aren't any "rangers" at Hubbard. That is narrated by the ship naturalist, or other designated employee.

I am referring to currently. HAL isn't even doing Hubbard this year? My information from several sources, has no rangers boarding from Yakutat. I value accurate current information. So maybe, some first hand cruisers can also report?

I, too, value current information which is why I originally stated in my post that my experience was from 2011 so as to not cause confusion if things had indeed changed. If someone has new information from changes from that time then surely it is greatly appreciated to hear about the updates.

Subtchr,

I am on the Radiance now also. This is my first trip to Alaska so I have nothing to compare this to. How close would you say we were to Hubbard Glacier? I didn't know what to expect so I was pleased with what I saw. We're we supposed to have gone in further and turned to see something different than we saw, or just get closer? Was that the face? Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks.

Subtchr,

I am on the Radiance now also. This is my first trip to Alaska so I have nothing to compare this to. How close would you say we were to Hubbard Glacier? I didn't know what to expect so I was pleased with what I saw. We're we supposed to have gone in further and turned to see something different than we saw, or just get closer? Was that the face? Sorry for so many questions.

Thanks.

Random guessing, how far is totally inaccurate. Distances on water are usually much more than what it seems. Only way to have gotten this answer would have been officially. When they get within a few miles, it is usually announced. If you happened to be farther than that, they usually don't mention it. Doesn't sound the greatest to say, yep folks, we are 6 miles away, and we have to start back out. :) So, if it wasn't mentioned, you can assume you were several miles away.

Ideal is to be within a mile. From those distances, you really can't see the entire glacier, edge to edge in one fixed look.

Also remember that while it is referred to as the Hubbard Glacier it really consists of two glaciers, the Hubbard and the Valarie glaciers. Then to the northwest of these are the Haenke and Turner glaciers although they are much easier to differentiate.

.... watching opportunities from the "secret" forward decks.

As a veterinarian, I sure would like to know more about where I should be on ship to watch for whales. Secrets are held closely by me because I am chickenmag at yahooo dot com. Many thanks.

As a veterinarian, I sure would like to know more about where I should be on ship to watch for whales. Secrets are held closely by me because I am chickenmag at yahooo dot com. Many thanks.

General answer, LOOK at your ship from the outside before you board, at the front. Figure out what deck, by counting down/up from easy identifiable decks, like the bridge or promenade. Then once on the ship, go to the deck and forward, look for a door.

For wildlife you need forward viewing and the ability to track from ahead, especially for whales. A good pair of wide angle binoculars is "necessary" in my opinion. A significant benefit is to know the feeding areas and concentrated successful areas. You need to budget a least several hours and with that be happy with a few minutes of viewing. :)

On the island and coral princess, go all the way forward on baja or caribe decks (11 or 10), through both doors, and you will have wonderful unobstructed forward viewing (not always comfortable, but great for birds and whales)

On the island and coral princess, go all the way forward on baja or caribe decks (11 or 10), through both doors, and you will have wonderful unobstructed forward viewing (not always comfortable, but great for birds and whales)

I checked the deckplans for ships Island and Coral, decks Caribe (10) and Baja (11), and see no forward doors. Am I missing something?

I checked the deckplans for ships Island and Coral, decks Caribe (10) and Baja (11), and see no forward doors. Am I missing something?

Yes you are. It is there, reason, it's noted as "secret". It will be clear, when you are on the ship.

Thank you. I will be on the Sapphire, and will have to look around, if there is anything to find.

The Sapphire is a little different then the Island and the Coral. I don't believe the Sapphire has the forward viewing decks.

The Sapphire is a little different then the Island and the Coral. I don't believe the Sapphire has the forward viewing decks.

Yep. I believe that what might have once been secret deck space has been incorporated into forward suites.

Yes they do, I sailed this ship last year. It was below the bridge and few people were ever out there.

Tygrmark, I've just sent a message to the address provided. (If you've responded, I've not received--may have gone to spam.)

The Sapphire has forward viewing on Deck 8 that is accessed from the promenade Deck 7. Actually very nice as it's protected from above if there's rain and less wind than the open decks. Also deck 15 has a nice area outside that is forward.

The Sapphire has forward viewing on Deck 8 that is accessed from the promenade Deck 7. Actually very nice as it's protected from above if there's rain and less wind than the open decks. Also deck 15 has a nice area outside that is forward.

I knew about deck 8, the nose of the ship.

Yes you are. It is there, reason, it's noted as "secret". It will be clear, when you are on the ship.

these decks were closed off on the final evening of the cruise, but otherwise were open for use. The ship photographers were even out there on the glacier viewing days to take pictures of pax. Otherwise, there were just a handful of us that took advantage of these spaces.

Yes they do, I sailed this ship last year. It was below the bridge and few people were ever out there.

Budget Queen, are you referring to the bow portion of the Promenade Deck? or someplace else I am not aware of? The only place under the bridge I can think of is on Aloha deck starboard and forward where there is an extended balcony that surrounds what I believe are crew quarters. I think everywhere else under the bridge are individual cabins.

Thanks

Budget Queen, are you referring to the bow portion of the Promenade Deck? or someplace else I am not aware of? The only place under the bridge I can think of is on Aloha deck starboard and forward where there is an extended balcony that surrounds what I believe are crew quarters. I think everywhere else under the bridge are individual cabins.

Thanks

It is referenced above, it is not part of the promenade deck.

On Sapphire a few weeks ago -- thought they said we were 12 miles away from Hubbard....it looked closer than that, but too far to see any calving. We too had a beautiful day - the pics above in the post from the Radiance sailing were similar to what we experienced....captain brought us to the edge of the ice field.

Sapphire also has front viewing platform - deck 15 above bridge itself as well as Deck 8/covered.

John in NC

I have to agree with JohnBoy on this one...forward viewing decks on the Diamond/Sapphire are above the bridge and on the promenade decks and there is nothing below the bridge as Budget Queen suggested. The only front decks below the bridge are private cabins or the crew area on Aloha deck. We don't want to be sending people into private cabins or crew areas looking for private viewing areas!!

The Coral/Island do have forward viewing decks below the bridge...perhaps Budget Queen is thinking of those.

Archived