Why do some folks book guarantees?

BlueLadyBlue

We are booking a Panama Canal cruise in November and planned on booking the lease expensive category--guarantees room is not available as of now. Our only other cruise was one to Alaska and we had an inside cabin in the least expensive category but we chose the cabin.

My only concern with booking the least expensive category is the location and sea sickness. Am I making a mistake??? How much movement on the ship is felt in the Caribbean?

We are booking a Panama Canal cruise in November and planned on booking the lease expensive category--guarantees room is not available as of now. Our only other cruise was one to Alaska and we had an inside cabin in the least expensive category but we chose the cabin.

My only concern with booking the least expensive category is the location and sea sickness. Am I making a mistake??? How much movement on the ship is felt in the Caribbean?

I've experienced rough water everywhere I've cruised including the Caribbean. I've also had smooth sailings. No way to predict. If I was worried I'd pick a specific room.

Booking a guarantee is kind of like Christmas, in that you never know what you are going to get, but you know that no matter what, it will be great!
I'm one that doesn't agree with this part I've bolded. On our recent cruise we had a table for 8. We were the only ones who picked a specific cabin. The other three couples booked guarantees. "Great" isn't the term any of them would have used to describe the cabins they were assigned. Tolerable would be the nicest thing one couple would have said. Another couple was miserable and managed to get moved to a different cabin after two weeks - and they weren't the ones with the cabin under the kitchen. :eek: We were the only ones who would have used "great" to describe their cabin. ;)

We've just done one guarantee and it did just what we wanted. Moved us midships. The advice to book what you can live with is important. It was a Veendam BB and we got bumped to B. We've booked two other cruises with Hal for the future on a guarantee and we'll see:)

Maybe some will reconsider guarentees, as you say, once the re-categorization occurs, but not us. We are happy to save the money. HAL can put us where it suits them. As noted we aren't fussy, but we appreciate the savings which we do plough back into the ship's coffers. Works well for us, but can understand why most people on this thread don't/won't book guarentees.

For my part, I agree.

Almost all of us have things we are picky about. A cabin onboard ship just isn't one of them for me. I've been on the lowest deck in an inside cabin with four people. I've been by the anchor, above the rear thrusters, over a nightclub and under the galley. It hasn't made a difference to me as I'm a sound sleeper and don't spend that much time in my cabin when I'm awake.

I've also been in a mini-suite and a deluxe balcony (different names for more or less the same thing), and I disagree with those who say you "can't go back" after having a balcony. I'm still perfectly happy in an inside or OV cabin for most cruises (Caribbean excepted).

On the other hand, I'm very picky about private tours, ship itineraries, and I also really enjoy well-prepared and served meals. ;)

For my part, I agree.

Almost all of us have things we are picky about. A cabin onboard ship just isn't one of them for me. I've been on the lowest deck in an inside cabin with four people. I've been by the anchor, above the rear thrusters, over a nightclub and under the galley. It hasn't made a difference to me as I'm a sound sleeper and don't spend that much time in my cabin when I'm awake.

I've also been in a mini-suite and a deluxe balcony (different names for more or less the same thing), and I disagree with those who say you "can't go back" after having a balcony. I'm still perfectly happy in an inside or OV cabin for most cruises (Caribbean excepted).

On the other hand, I'm very picky about private tours, ship itineraries, and I also really enjoy well-prepared and served meals. ;)

That about sums it up! Nicely explained.

Can you tell me about your aft corner cabin please.
I LOVED it! The actual cabin was probably closer in size to a signature suite than the other Neptune suites, but that was fine with me. The balcony was absolutely perfect. We could move from the side of the ship to the back of ship to maximize view, or sun, or get out of the wind.

I would take one again in a heart beat. (But not for the $2000 more than they wanted vs the signature suite when I booked my next trip)

Yes, thanks for the opinions.

What I don't get, though, is the several recent searches seem to price guarantees at a premium that makes absolutely no sense. You not only buy a pig in a poke but may end up grossly overpaying.

Some of those guarantee prices don't even justify an upgrade, if it were to happen, which is not a given.

How long before sailing do you get your cabin assigned when you book a guarantee? I've booked adjoining inside cabins for my family, but my grandfather wanted a balcony and the only available was a guarantee. We're less than 3 weeks out and still don't know what cabin he'll be in.

How long before sailing do you get your cabin assigned when you book a guarantee? I've booked adjoining inside cabins for my family, but my grandfather wanted a balcony and the only available was a guarantee. We're less than 3 weeks out and still don't know what cabin he'll be in.

It can be anytime between now and at the pier. Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later.

What I don't get, though, is the several recent searches seem to price guarantees at a premium that makes absolutely no sense. You not only buy a pig in a poke but may end up grossly overpaying.

Some of those guarantee prices don't even justify an upgrade, if it were to happen, which is not a given.

At a premium? Never seen this myself in all the guarentees I have booked.

Would have to see some examples to understand what is happening.

I wouldn't book a guarantee just to book a guarantee. It would have to make sense financially -- either no cabin available in the category I want and an upgrade would be more $$$, or I just didn't care about cabin category on that particular cruise for whatever reason and wanted to book the lowest available.

SilvertoGold -- I went online to support my point, i.e. that some "guarantees" are offered at rates so high that they make no sense. I had seen several examples over the past month.

However, what I found in searching today is that the discounters I use have seemingly abolished the guarantee option altogether. Yes, in some cases lines may still offer a guarantee if all cabins in that category are gone. But it seems impossible to buy a "guarantee' just as a gambling option, which was a common practice in the past.

Here is what CC says about the topic:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=337

SilvertoGold -- I went online to support my point, i.e. that some "guarantees" are offered at rates so high that they make no sense. I had seen several examples over the past month.

However, what I found in searching today is that the discounters I use have seemingly abolished the guarantee option altogether. Yes, in some cases lines may still offer a guarantee if all cabins in that category are gone. But it seems impossible to buy a "guarantee' just as a gambling option, which was a common practice in the past.

Here is what CC says about the topic:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=337

Cruise Critic article is pretty vague especially with what they state about HAL :rolleyes: Guarantees are certainly NOT going away with HAL and your explanation makes no sense. HAL has specific categories that basically their purpose is for Guarantees. Category NN, HH, VH, SZ and BC on S and R Class Ships. These categories may not even surface till after Final when Flash Fares meant to sell guarantees appear.

Next summer's Baltic cruises - at least the one I'm looking at - are already selling guaranty only in the SY category. I'm guessing that anyone who books now will be put in an SS, and then the price will drop on SY and eventually SZ which is not offered at all now. That would make people who originally booked the SY guaranty ineligible for the price drop.

Am I right? Seems like a disincentive to book early.

Now you, the dear reader, be the judge.

On the 15-day Dec. 7 Carnival Miracle cruise from Long Beach to Hawaii and back, 4K, the highest-priced inside appearing on a discounter website, goes for $1,574.

Or one can buy an inside guarantee for $2,984.

Now you, the dear reader, be the judge.

On the 15-day Dec. 7 Carnival Miracle cruise from Long Beach to Hawaii and back, 4K, the highest-priced inside appearing on a discounter website, goes for $1,574.

Or one can buy an inside guarantee for $2,984.

Are we talking about HAL? If, so how about saying so and which HAL cruise exactly?

We book guarantees when the cabins we want aren't available and will probably do it again. We book the lowest category we're comfortable with and have always had a nice assignment that was several categories above what we paid. We don't expect to book an OV guarantee and get a verandah, but we have booked VH guarantees and gotten VC and VA cabins in good locations.

Are we talking about HAL? If, so how about saying so and which HAL cruise exactly?

No. He specifically said Carnival Miracle. I have noticed that sometimes the guarantee price for a particular category is higher than the price of surrounding categories; but I'd never choose to book one of those. I think HAL does that sometimes instead of just saying "Not available". I DO know that every cruise line handles the whole guarantee thing differently. I mentioned only my experiences with HAL.

I LOVED it! The actual cabin was probably closer in size to a signature suite than the other Neptune suites, but that was fine with me. The balcony was absolutely perfect. We could move from the side of the ship to the back of ship to maximize view, or sun, or get out of the wind.

I would take one again in a heart beat. (But not for the $2000 more than they wanted vs the signature suite when I booked my next trip)

Thank you. Yes, they are certainly more $$ but this is a special cruise for us so we are being self indulgent (no kids!). I love just being on a ship and know we will spend many, many hours at sea sitting on that balcony, bundled up in a blanket, if necessary. LOL

Archived