Flooding on French Rivers

A&D Cruising

In spite of all of the posts about flooding on the Danube, I have seen nothing about the water levels on the Seine. This morning's news talked of severe flooding in southwestern France. I am wondering if we need to start looking at the impact on Seine cruises. We are scheduled to be in Paris on July 4 and then embark the Viking Spirit on July 7 for the cruise to Normandy and back. Can anyone currently cruising on the Seine or who has just returned weigh in?

ATTN, VIKING: Are you listening?

We don't leave until mid August but with all the focus on the Rhine/Danube, I didn't even think about the French waterways being impacted. Guess I will need to keep an eye on it. Thanks for this website, I could not find anything current elsewhere.

We don't leave until mid August but with all the focus on the Rhine/Danube, I didn't even think about the French waterways being impacted. Guess I will need to keep an eye on it. Thanks for this website, I could not find anything current elsewhere.

The weather map shown looked ok for Paris and the Seine.

If the worst comes to the worst, one end of the cruise to the other is only 2 hours by road anyway, so you will still have the boat.

I hope not. I'm on the Pride out of Paris on July 2nd. I read about Seine high water levels back in May but I didn't know there was still a problem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

May not impact us, but best to keep a close eye. Teacheroz, any pre or post cruise stay in Paris? We're still researching for our 3 day pre-cruise stay. We will see the Louvre and Versaille through the ship, but will still get a museum pass to see other sights. Will probably do a lot of walking to get the overview of things. Most of the advice we have gotten seems to be to enjoy the moment and not try to do too much. You can't do it all in 3 days!

Dear A&D Cruising,

Water levels on the Seine are currently normal and Viking’s itineraries in France – including along the Seine, Saône, and Rhône rivers – are sailing without interruption. The current situation in the southwest of France bears no effect on the regions where you are traveling to in July. We have an in-house nautical and operations team in Switzerland who are experts in everything from shore excursions to navigating the rivers of Europe. While we too follow the many sources of media, we rely on our experienced onsite staff members and local authorities to provide us with the status of the areas we visit.

We hope this helps alleviate your concerns. If you have any other questions or concerns about your upcoming trip, please know you can contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Wishing you very happy travels,

Viking Cruises

In spite of all of the posts about flooding on the Danube, I have seen nothing about the water levels on the Seine. This morning's news talked of severe flooding in southwestern France. I am wondering if we need to start looking at the impact on Seine cruises. We are scheduled to be in Paris on July 4 and then embark the Viking Spirit on July 7 for the cruise to Normandy and back. Can anyone currently cruising on the Seine or who has just returned weigh in?

ATTN, VIKING: Are you listening?

The weather map shown looked ok for Paris and the Seine.

If the worst comes to the worst, one end of the cruise to the other is only 2 hours by road anyway, so you will still have the boat.

Our Avalon Creativity sailing is July 9. All of the places visited can easily be done as day trips from Paris, many folks do this. So I am not worried, and you can't fight Mother Nature. ;)

Dear A&D Cruising,

Water levels on the Seine are currently normal and Viking’s itineraries in France – including along the Seine, Saône, and Rhône rivers – are sailing without interruption. The current situation in the southwest of France bears no effect on the regions where you are traveling to in July. We have an in-house nautical and operations team in Switzerland who are experts in everything from shore excursions to navigating the rivers of Europe. While we too follow the many sources of media, we rely on our experienced onsite staff members and local authorities to provide us with the status of the areas we visit.

We hope this helps alleviate your concerns. If you have any other questions or concerns about your upcoming trip, please know you can contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Wishing you very happy travels,

Viking Cruises

Thank you for the response, Viking.

We are eagerly looking forward to our trip and hoping all goes well!

Archived