Which ship will replace celebrity summit in NJ

Bacchybella23

When Celebrity Summit gets refurbished and repositions to San Juan which ship will take its place in New Jersey?

Summit is not scheduled to be refurbished, she was done last year. Summit only comes to NJ to do the Bermuda run and a couple of N. England runs. It will not be replaced but will return next year for Bermuda.

The really big question is whether Celebrity is going to at some point replace Summit in NJ with one of the S class ships to compete with the NCL Breakaway...

Hopefully Celebrity will remove their ships from NJ completely. That place is a dump. We sailed out of there last year on the Summit and it was such a disappointment. Why they can't put their ships in Manhattan is beyond me.

Michael

When Summit leaves Bayonne in October 2013, there will be no other Celebrity ship sailing out of there until Summit returns again in May 2014.

I highly doubt that Celebrity will put a ship in Bayonne full time now that it has been announced that the brand new RCCL Quantum of the Seas will be home ported in Bayonne year round starting in the fall of 2014.

I can't see them filling one 4,000+ passenger ship plus another 2,000+ passenger ship all year long. Yes they are different products, but still they are owned by the same parent and I think they would have a hard time filling all those cabins.

I could be wrong, but that's my thinking on the subject.

Hopefully Celebrity will remove their ships from NJ completely. That place is a dump. We sailed out of there last year on the Summit and it was such a disappointment. Why they can't put their ships in Manhattan is beyond me.

Michael

wow...so angry.....please dont visit our state again if its such a "dump".

Bermuda out of NJ on the Summit rates WAY up there on the top of my list. It was last minute, just to get away. Holy cow, cannot wait to do it again. If it had been out of Manhattan we would have missed a ton of sites we wouldn't have seen if we hadn't gone out of Bayonne.

JMO, I would be disappointed if Celebrity tried to compete with NCL. We passed NCL walking to the Summit and the noise blaring off that ship made us welcome the calm of our Celebrity ship even more. I know what you mean, bigger ship, etc, but Bermuda didn't strike us a party hardy place.

Michael

I would be great disappointed if they moved to NY. What a hassle getting in and out of there. I'd like to see more ships go out of Bayonne or Baltimore

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I would be great disappointed if they moved to NY. What a hassle getting in and out of there. I'd like to see more ships go out of Bayonne or Baltimore

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I agree whole heartedly.

Lew

Bermuda out of NJ on the Summit rates WAY up there on the top of my list. It was last minute, just to get away. Holy cow, cannot wait to do it again. If it had been out of Manhattan we would have missed a ton of sites we wouldn't have seen if we hadn't gone out of Bayonne.

JMO, I would be disappointed if Celebrity tried to compete with NCL. We passed NCL walking to the Summit and the noise blaring off that ship made us welcome the calm of our Celebrity ship even more. I know what you mean, bigger ship, etc, but Bermuda didn't strike us a party hardy place.

I don't want Celebrity to compete with NCL, I have been on both lines to Bermuda and elsewhere and they are different products. I would love however to see an S class ship in Bayonne for the Bermuda trip.

Michael

I hope they don't put any in Manhattan. It's just such a pain in the butt driving to the Manhattan cruiseport. Port Liberty is easy direct shot in and easy shot out. Last time I did the Manhattan one it was an hour just to get out of the city

There are plenty of NYers who would disagree with you - for us, getting to the port in Manhattan is an easy cab ride, but getting to Bayonne is much more expensive and much more hassle. I'd welcome an S-class ship to either port, though - would save us a trip to Florida, either way!

Manhattan piers used to be a total zoo on weekends when 4 ships left in the same day. The cabs would frequently let their passengers off two crosstown blocks (lonnnng blocks) from the pier 'cuz it would take 30+ minutes just to travel those two blocks and then up the ramp to the loading level. And that was with the smaller ships in the days when Bermuda kept anything bigger then a 1000 passenger ship out. I'm talking Zenith, Horizon, Empress OTS, Pacific Princess (original 1970's Love Boat ship) and NCL Seaward. Even though Bermuda now allows the big boys in (Explorer etc.) I can't see 12,000+ passengers trying to get to the West Side piers on a weekend.

Which is why the cruise lines branched out to Red Hook in Brooklyn (Princess and Cunard) and Joisey (RCI and =X=). Carnival and NCL still go out of Manhattan. And Disney which doesn't come to the City much.

If it had been out of Manhattan we would have missed a ton of sites we wouldn't have seen if we hadn't gone out of Bayonne.

I'm not looking for a fight at all -- I love New Jersey! I'm really curious, what sites would you miss if you had left from Manhattan rather then Bayone?

We're considering a Carnival cruise from NY and I thought that would give the best views of the city and Statue of Liberty. The historic aspects of the Manhattan piers also appeals to me.

We've never sailed from any NY area terminal. I'm looking to learn! :)

Manhattan is a horrible port to leave out of. The traffic congestion, the parking rates, the long lines for drop-off or pick-up...it's a zoo!

Maybe it's easy for people in the 5 boroughs for a cab, but for those of us on Long Island who have to drive and park, or rely on someone to deal with the hassle to take us or pick us up is not an option I want.

Bayonne is a pleasure to leave from, no waiting at all, and the parking lot is right there and the rates are reasonable.

So glad my two favorite lines, Celebrity and Royal leave from Bayonne.

Carnival and NCL can keep Manhattan!

Manhattan is a horrible port to leave out of. The traffic congestion, the parking rates, the long lines for drop-off or pick-up...it's a zoo!

Maybe it's easy for people in the 5 boroughs for a cab, but for those of us on Long Island who have to drive and park, or rely on someone to deal with the hassle to take us or pick us up is not an option I want.

Bayonne is a pleasure to leave from, no waiting at all, and the parking lot is right there and the rates are reasonable.

So glad my two favorite lines, Celebrity and Royal leave from Bayonne.

Carnival and NCL can keep Manhattan!

The same goes coming from Connecticut. Much easier and cheaper to sail out of Bayonne for us.

We would/could never drive and park sailing out of Manhattan.

I don't know what sites you would have missed sailing out of Manhattan vs. Bayonne, but I know what sites you miss when sailing out of Bayonne, like viewing the NY skyline from the water, sailing past lower Manhattan & the site of the WTC, sailing virtually in front of the Statue of Liberty; all awesome experiences.

Having said that, I would rather drive to Bayonne than to the west side. That area near the Intrepid is a zoo, even though as someone said, it is somewhat better with ships sailing from Bayonne & Brooklyn now. I will be driving to the pier Saturday to pick up our daughter, who is returning from Norwegian Gem. The drop-off was not too bad, but the pick up, with 2500 disembarking, will be a nightmare!

I like parking at Bayonne. It is so relaxing, knowing we will be in our own car when we leave the ship. It is almost like being home already.

Also, on the way to the port, if we have to spend an extra few minutes at the kennel, it is no big deal.

wow...so angry.....please dont visit our state again if its such a "dump".

No one said NJ is a dump, so calm down. The port of Bayonne IS a dump, and not a decent place to start a cruise. And, no one was angry, just stating a matter of opinion. While Manhattan is not a lot of fun to get to for a cruise, the terminal is a whole lot better than Bayonne.

I don't know what sites you would have missed sailing out of Manhattan vs. Bayonne, but I know what sites you miss when sailing out of Bayonne, like viewing the NY skyline from the water, sailing past lower Manhattan & the site of the WTC, sailing virtually in front of the Statue of Liberty; all awesome experiences.

Having said that, I would rather drive to Bayonne than to the west side. That area near the Intrepid is a zoo, even though as someone said, it is somewhat better with ships sailing from Bayonne & Brooklyn now. I will be driving to the pier Saturday to pick up our daughter, who is returning from Norwegian Gem. The drop-off was not too bad, but the pick up, with 2500 disembarking, will be a nightmare!

Rich"

A suggestion since we have done it a number of times. We pull across the street on the side street from the pier and just wait, we have tried to coordinate it with our daughter who picks us up. Cell phone coordination is usually a good thing to do. A lot easier than trying to go up the ramp and hope they are there. Just tell your daughter to walk across the street, load up and drive away. We did this on the Gem by the way.

I forgot, its actually easier for your daughter, they just walk out the door and cross the street. They do not have to go upstairs to stand by the ramp.

Putting aside arguments of ease of transportation (of which Bayonne is clearly the winner), attempting to argue that Manhattan is a better port to sail out of because of the NYC skyline is ridiculous and is made only by those who have never been in or around the harbour. Look at the picture I've attached. Sailing out of Bayonne affords the same views of Southern Manhattan.

Moreover, sailing out of lower Manhattan to "see the skyline better" is akin to saying "I want to sit in the very first row of the movie theatre to see the screen better". Some things are better from a slight distance.

Untitled.jpg.04af06c0ae440423287b3ffcb2ee62c4.jpg

Rich"

A suggestion since we have done it a number of times. We pull across the street on the side street from the pier and just wait, we have tried to coordinate it with our daughter who picks us up. Cell phone coordination is usually a good thing to do. A lot easier than trying to go up the ramp and hope they are there. Just tell your daughter to walk across the street, load up and drive away. We did this on the Gem by the way.

Thanks Don. I'm wondering how easy/hard it is to cross 12th Ave., especially with luggage? When we dropped them off, you would have thought they were going for 2 weeks or more, they had so much luggage, & there were only 2 of them!:eek:

I personally LOVE to leave out of Bayonne, but I live in Staten Island and it's a very easy trip to get to Bayonne. The port itself isn't very pretty, although I do like the water view on the long ride in. I always find it to be nice and easy with not much traffic congestion. We usually arrive around 11:00 AM, so that may help too. Never had an negative experience in Bayonne.

I prefer Bayonne (or Brooklyn) over Manhattan. The traffic going up the West side highway is usually jammed, it can take forever to make the turn that will take us to the ships. With that said, I think the views for sail out from NYC cannot be beat. Lower Manhattan, the Statue of Liberty - it's just really spectacular, imo. For me, there is appeal with all of the ports. The pain of getting to the Manhattan pier pays off in that sail out.

As far as S class ships...it's top of my "Wish List". Love the Summit, but I don't like to fly and sail, so I'm hoping we eventually get an S class, even if for just one season.

I'm not looking for a fight at all -- I love New Jersey! I'm really curious, what sites would you miss if you had left from Manhattan rather then Bayone?

We're considering a Carnival cruise from NY and I thought that would give the best views of the city and Statue of Liberty. The historic aspects of the Manhattan piers also appeals to me.

Sailed the Silhouette out of Bayonne last February. That sail-away was wonderful! We sailed past Lady Liberty, we sailed under the Veranzanno Narrows Bridge, we sailed past the Manhattan skyline at sunset. It was MAGNIFICENT!

Thanks Don. I'm wondering how easy/hard it is to cross 12th Ave., especially with luggage? When we dropped them off, you would have thought they were going for 2 weeks or more, they had so much luggage, & there were only 2 of them!:eek:

Easy to cross, Police Officer there and a traffic light. If they have rolling luggage very easy.

We flew into NJ and took a cab to Manhattan for the night. The tour guide picked us up at the hotel the next morning for a tour of Manhattan and NJ. If we had sailed out of NY then we would have missed NJ entirely as we would have flown into NY. He also picked us up after the cruise and continued his tour until it was time to drop us at the NJ airport.

In NJ he showed us things that may have only been cool to me/us, for example: Frank Sinatra sites ( I can now say I've been to Hoboken!), the Cake Boss shop, lots of bridges!!, nothing spectacular to some but to me/us - I had a blast and wouldn't change a thing!

Scott, our guide, did a grand job in Manhattan too and it was wonderful. I am so glad we got a 2 for 1 on states though. :)

I am sure sailing past the Statue of Liberty is spectacular. Top of my list next time is going across and seeing Ellis Island but sailing past her isn't on my personal bucket list. When I thought of staying the night in NJ there were hotels that I looked at that had magnificent views of the NY skyline from the rooms. Staying in Manhattan was easier for the tour guide though.

Thanks outofNJ - I'll take a look at the Silhouette sailings....the pass by at sunset does sound worthy of a looksee!!

Archived