Running in ports?

masonpips

I'm a runner and my son is on the cross-country team in high school. I like to run wherever we travel if possible. Many times this equals a run along the beach in Fort Lauderdale and a bunch of running on the treadmill on the ship!

For the upcoming cruise, I've done a little searching and would like any input on the suggested running opportunities in each port. Thanks in advance!

I'm a trail and road runner, DS is mainly road. Would be nice to have a place we could both head out (although he will finish WAY before me) and run at the same time, yet not forced together. For most, we'd prefer to leave the ship on foot and head out (exceptions noted as we go)

Ketchikan - we have an a.m. zipline - would plan to run in pm south on Stedman (Tongrass). Looks to be a good place to get in 3-5 miles. Any other suggestions?

Hoonah - no excursion planned. Tender in, run north to end of road (~1 mile) and back, then into town/back (looking for 3-4 miles total). Good?

Juneau - we have Harv & Marv early. Would consider the Perserverance Trail (is it safe to run along the road to there?). Have also looked at trails at Mendenhall. May consider just hiking here due to number of trails - any suggestions? Longer run/hike day due to more options

Skagway - we originally were going to just hike to Upper Dewey Lake but after reading more trip reports we've reserved a car and plan to drive to Carcross (desert) and to Emerald Lake. Any ideas on shorter (1-2 hour) hikes on this route?

Thanks so much!

I don't have an answer to your question, but it caught my eye because I'm a runner too and was also wondering about possibly running in port. We actually sail the day after you from San Francisco, and our ports are in the same order (except we skip Skagway) but exactly two days after you are there. Icy Strait was the port I was kind of thinking about running in, but we do have an excursion planned and I wasn't sure if it would be a pain to tender back and forth several times to change and shower, etc. Too bad we will be at sea at the same time or I would check back for a report from you! We are also a Juneau for a really long time, 8:00 a.m. to midnight, but have a couple things planned there and it is also July 4th so I think it's going to be kind of crazy there. I look forward to hearing what others suggest - enjoy your cruise!

I'm a runner too. This is a nice thread, the running community is tight.

My hunch is to run around the deck on the ship several times and use the treadmill in the spa. Port time is valuable and not sure running is the best use of that time. Also, stinky running clothing is a concern.

I'm going to post the same question at Trip Advisor and see if I get some responses. Will let you know centralcalicruzer!

Freestatecruiser, brought plenty of Tide - in the sink for washing the workout gear!

I'm going to post the same question at Trip Advisor and see if I get some responses. Will let you know centralcalicruzer!

Freestatecruiser, brought plenty of Tide - in the sink for washing the workout gear!

True. Actually I have a $50 bet with DW that I can go on a 1 week inside passage cruise with only carry on luggage. My thinking is that if I take technical fiber running clothes and do the wash-in-the-sink and hang-up-to-dry scheme, carry on could work. Some caveats; blazer and dress shoes needed for semi-formal nights, (and perhaps one pair running shoes as well as one pair light weight trail shoes) and winter hat/gloves/rain proof pants/raincoat as well as binoculars, etc. could make carry on challenging.

I did a week in Japan in winter with only a carry on! And I'm a girl who likes her fashion! It's harder on a cruise though, because you need things for shore excursions AND evenings on board a ship. I'm just so happy we can drive to port for this cruise. Plus, so many of my running clothes (tech shirts from races) can also double as shore excursion clothes because they wick moisture away from your body.

My husband is a runner who has completed several marathons. He had no problem running in several of the ports we stopped at a few years ago. Once we had returned to the ship, he would change into his running attire and go back on shore if he has an least an hour to run before all-aboard time.

On our last cruise, I was not feeling well at all when we stopped in Kodiak. He decided to go for a run while I rested in our cabin. Knowing that he was heading toward town, I asked him to look for a certain quilt shop and maybe pick up some fabric for me. I also gave him our camera to take a few pictures in town. He did very well for me!

In Ketchikan, yes, head South on Tongass and you will encounter a great path that is right along the ocean that will take you almost all the way to Saxman Native Village (approx 3 miles) - check out the large tree on the road that has a HUGE eagle nest, then turn back around. Watch the water for whales, it's not unheard of to spot them!

Enjoy...

You can run in every port in Alaska and the scenery is gorgeous. You can run from about 4:30 am to 11+ pm. The tourist buses are a problem in Juneau and Ketchikan but once you are about 1/2 mile away there isn't as much congestion. Great scenery and great trails to run on in Sitka, Kodiak, Valdez, etc besides the main road.

Juneau - we have Harv & Marv early. Would consider the Perserverance Trail (is it safe to run along the road to there?). Have also looked at trails at Mendenhall. May consider just hiking here due to number of trails - any suggestions? Longer run/hike day due to more options

It's just city streets to reach the trailhead, although Basin Road is narrow and will have smaller tourist buses on it. But the whole town has a lot of runners, so they should know to watch out for them.

The main issue as I see it is, the elevation climb to the trailhead is very steep. Be prepared! The beginning of the trail is also a steep climb before you finally hit some ridges. And not to be a nervous nelly, but there's a memorial plaque up for for an experienced local trail runner who fell to his death. They have made recent improvements to the trail but as with everything in Alaska, be prepared, be cautious.

One recommended route I'd made is Thane Road. For some reason, tourists rarely go out that way and I don't think there's any tours that way for buses. It hugs the coastline and has some climbs, but nothing outrageously steep. Lovely waterfalls and now that the avalanche danger is past, rare chance of death! :D

The simple direction is, no matter where your ship docks, get off and face the town with Douglas Island to your back. Go right. Eventually, the city streets turn into Thane Road, and you're off. It's a couple miles to the end?

Thanks everyone! I did post on TripAdvisor and got the following info too:

"Another suggestion for a Juneau run would be north on the Egan Highway to the Douglas Bridge, cross the bridge and head south watch for the signs to Sandy Beach.......all flat, paved with sidewalks......great view of your ship across the water from there......

Now Skagway, most folks actually stay put downtown, concentrated in a 2 or 3 block area or take the train........ask for directions to the old grave yard......it's about 1 mile or so each way, mostly flat, some paved, some gravel....... that would make a good run with an interesting destination......."

and

"You are on the right track in Ketchikan LOL with Stedman St. Start on the sidewalk outside the giant pink federal building, pass businesses, fish processors, and oil tanks for about half a mile until you get to the Coast Guard Base. At that point the sidewalk becomes a waterfront bike path that can take you many miles south and back. A friend of mine who comes here once a year called it her favorite run of the year recently"

Sounds like we have plenty of options. Very excited to see the scenery from a running perspective AND run in the cooler temps!

Archived