Question about cruising Alaska

MisterC

I am going to try and get a group together for an Alaskan Cruise next August 06. I've gone to some of the TA websites for options and pricing, but there is so much out there :eek: I need some help from you experienced Alaska cruisers!!

1. What is better round trip or one way cruises?

2. For round trips what is best port to leave from..Seattle or Vancouver -- we would be coming from the east coast.

3. What cruise lines and ship would you recommend?

4. I am thinking early August...how is the weather then?

5. Any suggestion or comments also appreciated.

One way gives you more ports and gets you farthur north. Round trip usually gives you cheaper airfare as you can book a round trip.

Seattle probably has cheaper airfare,especially if you use Jetblue. You can also fly into and out of Seattle and shuttle to Vancouver. Sail out of whichever port has the cruise you want.

We recently cruised Radisson. Wonderful luxury. Didn't find anybody on the ship who said they would go back to another line. It is more expensive than some of the mass market cruises.

Cruising out of Seattle has a few advantages over Vancouver:

- no immigration and customs hassles (remember Alaskan cruises are all U.S. territory so Vancouver-based cruises have to clear U. S. customs twice)

- no CAD$15/person Vancouver "airport improvement" fee

- Seattle roundtrip airfares are more plentiful and are cheaper

You do not get more inside passage ports on a one way. But you do get either Whittier or Seward and extremely FEW people ever see them. If you go on a one way, don't be one of them, you are missing out on some excellent touring. My opinion only I would never do a one way without at least another week for interior touring, take advantage of being all the way there.

As for a round trip- they pack an excellent adventure into 7 days with round trip Vancouver my top pick for more inside passage sailing compared to Seattle.

If money isn't a concern, a r/t Glacier Bay from Vancouver is awesome. From the East Coast, it costs more to fly to Vancouver. But it is better than taking a coach from SEATAC.

A r/t with one airport versus two might be easier to accomodate a large group, too.

Sailing out from One Canada Place is beautiful. One of the prettiest places I've ever been. Views of Whistler to the north, beautiful buildings on both sides, Stanley Park and sailing under Lion's Gate bridge is really neat, too.

Terpnut is so right, though. The $15 CAD departure tax is as lame as it gets. It's payable only in cash and if you forget to carry enough cash with you, you'll find very unsympathetic Canadians at YVR. I've seen people miss their flight for the want of $15 CAD.

Cruise lines? That's totally subjective. Everyone will give you a different favorite recommendation. If you've never been on a cruise, pick the itinerary you want and shop for the best price.

Weather in July and August is great. May, early June and September can go either way. It depends on what part of the country you're from. We're from Arizona, so going in September and getting cold and wet weather suites me just fine. Someone from the Northeast probably wants the balmiest possible weather.

Sorry for the long post. I hope you put it together. It will be unforgettable!

Sailing out from One Canada Place is beautiful. One of the prettiest places I've ever been.
While MOST cruise ships sail from Canada Place, others use Ballantyne, a much less desirable terminal.

I like the one way cruises that include Glacier Bay and College Fiords - 2 glacier days.

On my one RT cruise and first cruise to Alaska, we missed Hubbard Glacier which was the only glacier day on that trip. I have heard from several others who have also missed (ship didn't make it for various reasons - ice, weather, etc . .) seeing the only glacier day that they had. Thus - I pick itineraries with 2 glacier days on the ship. It probably isn't a big deal if you are sailing to Alaska more than once but for many - this is the only time they will get to Alaska.

I also prefer the times in port on the one ways. I have looked at the times in port on the RT out of Seattle and the times are not that desirable. Some get into Juneau (my favorite) at 1 or later. Some leave Ketchikan by 1 pm in the afternoon - something to look at.

I know some of HAL's sailings have both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay when doing RT out of Vancouver - this would be the one one way cruise that I would consider. I looked at pricing for this May in March (sort of late) on those sailings and they were 2x as expensive as the one ways. No brainer for me - I did the one way and saved lots of money.

BTW - some of the one ways go for great prices in May.

Having done both one ways and roundtrips out of Seattle and Vancouver, we only do one way trips now. We felt we had to compromise more on the roundtrips. It is not worth it to go all the way to Alaska and miss Glacier Bay.

If you are interested in a land tour you should do one way. We are booked on the Sapphire Princess August 5, 2006, southbound with a preceding land tour August 1 to Mt. McKinley and Denali, including some train travel. Can't wait.

Also, balconies are the only way to travel in Alaska.

If you are interested in a land tour you should do one way. We are booked on the Sapphire Princess August 5, 2006, southbound with a preceding land tour August 1 to Mt. McKinley and Denali, including some train travel. Can't wait.

Also, balconies are the only way to travel in Alaska.

for clairfication, you are not at Mt McKinley on a Princess tour. It's called the McKinley lodge, but the mt is RARELY viewable. :) This location is out in the middle of nowhere with the nearest town and train station 50 miles away at Talkeetna. Very few activities here. Plan your time wisely and get to Talkeetna. Flightseeing is the top pick here. MOST important be certain to have included the Tundra Wilderness tour on Princess cruisetours. You don't want the Natural History.

Given a choice between one ways and round trips, we prefer one ways. Would recommend leaving from Vancouver--try for Canada Place. Would try Holland America or Princess. Save money for excursions --- they are expensive in Alaska.

Archived