Southern Carribbean on Eclipse in 2015

julmops

All,

We are looking at the 14 nights Southern on the Eclipse leaving 4th Jan 2015. Looks like an absolute dream of a cruise... Is the upgrade to Concierge Class worth it? We are usually going with Disney so don't really know what to expect.

The cruise leaves from Miami but does Celebrity provides an extra night before for people flying from Europe as arriving in the same day wouldn't be possible? It's not clear on their website. Also which airline would they use from London in your experience?

So many questions ... ;-)

Thanks a lot in advance!

Not sure if the same will apply, but I am booked on this cruise for the January 11th 2014 departure. I booked CC as at the time I thought the extra perks would be fun. I have since read many differing thoughts on whether it is worth the extra charge, but as I haven't completed the cruise yet I can't comment on that aspect. The 2014 departure is from Ft. Lauderdale, but the flight, booked by Celebrity is to Miami and is for an arrival the day before and a pre-night stay has been booked for us in a nice looking hotel close to the port. This is included in the price and the flight is with British Airways. I hope this is of some help to you.

We did this cruise new year this year - 2 weeks on the Eclipse in the caribbean and it was a fantastic itinerary.

All the cabins look the same, the difference with concierge is that you get double captains club points, access to the concierge, better towels and toiletries, bath robes and a few other little things. It depends how much they are worth to you

They flew us out the day before with British Airways from Heathrow with a direct flight to miami and the cost included an overnight hotel.

As soon as you collect your bags there is someone with a celebrity sign that checks you off their list and hands you to another person who takes you to the transfer to the hotel - which took about 45 minutes.

We sailed out of FLL too and they put us in the Hilton FLL which was fine but there isn't much near the hotel so we grabbed a cab to the local mall for a wander around. They take the luggage off you at the hotel on the morning of the cruise and load it into a van then give you a number. They then call the numbers to fill each bus and you are at the port in 15 minutes and go straight into check in.

On return, although we had a transfer included, the flight back was approx 7pm so we booked an excursion on the ship to the outlet centre - many people do this - they take you approx 10am to the centre, arriving at about 11am - you get until 2pm there then they take you to the airport just in time for check in opening.

We loved this trip, the ports were great and the organisation was fantastic. They can't fly you to FLL as its not an international airport.

We want to do it again but this time its doing christmas and new year so we maybe getting off as you get on

Have a great time

We have this cruise booked for Nov 2013, Mar 2014, and Nov 2014

Here are some suggestions

If at all possible change the booking for Jan 2014 or sometime before the Pick, your Perk promo ends. With that promo you can get the drink package included that is worth $50 per day pp. May only be available for those in the US but it is worth looking into.

Consider a AQ cabin over the CC. You get all of the CC perks plus. You are able to dine in Blu for breakfast, and dinner. Free smoothies and fresh squeezed OJ and grapefruit juice worth $2.50 to $5 a glass. It is a smaller style dining room that is anytime during operating hours and usually consists of table for two. You are close enough to the adjoining tables if you wish to converse. The food is referred to as healthy cuisine and the presentation is fancier. Worth probably at least another $10 per day pp or more depending on the atmosphere you want . Many claim it to be a cross between the MDR and the pay for alternative restuarants.

Some free bottle water about $5 per day in your cabin and the use of the Persain Gardens that charges $20 per day pp if not in AQ

Hope this helps

If none of those features appeal to you get a A1 cabin where the balcony is on the slant or hump. The balconies are larger.

Thanks a lot guys! We've been naughty and impatient and booked ourselves on an Aqua Class room for the 4th Jan 2015 cruise!!! Luckily we have another 2 cruises to keep us busy in the meantime but we are already very excited about it ... This will be our first non Disney cruise ... The itinerary is superb and we can't wait to discover so many beautiful islands.

In 2015, the departures are from Miami instead of Fort Lauderdale, hoping to get a night in the Epic Hotel in Miami, it looks great!

We've spent most of the afternoon on YouTube watching videos of the ship and of all the destinations ...

My wife and I are sailing on what I presume is a similar cruise on 30 November 2013. We fly from Newcastle (an additional expense) on 28 November; stay at the Sofitel in Terminal 5 at Heathrow (an additional expense) on 28 November; fly from Heathrow to Miami on 29 November with British Airways; stay overnight at the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach Hotel; board Eclipse on 30 November for a 14 night cruise. On return to Fort Lauderdale on 14 December we have a day Hotel (Sheraton Miami Airport). The only additional costs are the flight from Newcastle and overnight at the Sofitel. We have experienced this previously and can thoroughly recommend it. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks a lot for the info!we live 35 minutes from Heathrow so it will be easier for us to get there... Happy with BA, they have a decent product and a good in demand entertainment system. Service is a bit of a hit and miss but so are most other airlines in Economy. As the cruise will leave from Miami, I would imagine that they keep us in a Miami hotel, looks like the Epic but happy to be corrected by people in the know. Still over 18 months to go but nowadays it's so easy to get informed that I feel like I will know the ship inside out even before flying over to Florida ;-)

But we have another 2 Disney cruises to enjoy first...

The day room at the end of the cruise was included in the overall cost of the cruise and was not an "extra". This is because the flight back to the UK on 14 December is overnight, and is not due back in Heathrow until am on 15 December. Hope this helps.

We did this trip in March 2013. We flew out of DCA, non-stop, the day of the cruise. Weather was nice and the plane left about 30 minutes late, which meant it was to arrive about 1:00 in FLL, about 15 minutes from the port. Due to an engine issue, we were diverted to Orlando. To make a long story short, both US Airways and Celebrity were most awesome. US Airways commandeered another Airbus 321 (yes, those passenger were not happy with us) that got us to FLL at around 3:30 (cruise was leaving at 4:00). We had called Celebrity a few times to let them know of our issues. By the time we got to the ship (almost 4:00), they had removed the passenger gang plank and had us enter through the cargo doors. As soon as we got on, they buttoned up and sailed 15 minutes later. We were staying in the PH suite, so perhaps that had something to do with it, but kudos to all. The lesson? Don't fly in the day of the cruise. lol

Oh, and the trip was wonderful. I would recommend it to anyone.

Mark

To the OP

Did that exact cruise this past Dec 29th and it's a terrific itinerary and the nicest ship we'd ever been on (and believe me, we've been on a few...).

Toying with the idea of joining you in 2015.... if there's a 123 deal it may tip us to book it too...

Here's a few pics of the ship from our trip a few months ago :D

33p53ex.jpg

s3ze2q.jpg

4u9vrt.jpg

20i6ia.jpg

30s8uhk.jpg

@ mdmourges, that must certainly have been a stressful day to say the least but I agree that both the airline and X have been great... However not sure X would have done it for an interior stateroom or would they? Coming all the way from the UK, we don't have the choice and must fly the day before. Thanks for sharing your experience.

@A sixth?, pics are great! We are completely sold to the concept of cruise now after many years in doing Carribbean all inclusive hotels stays. Let me know if you decide to join us on this one ;-)

jul,

I am not the most patient/calm person in the best of circumstances. This certainly tried my senses. My lovely wife and father were traveling with me and they did find my excessive apprehension humorous.

Mark

We were on Eclipse in March 2013, we flew from Edinburgh via LHR to Miami, and the same return flights. We booked the cruise in Oct 2011, and at the time of booking were advised we would stay in the Hilton Marina FLL Hotel on our arrival. Nearer the time of the cruise this was changed by Celebrity because the original hotel was overbooked, so please beware, and we ended up being put up in a hotel in the middle of nowhere. We had arranged earlier to meet friends who were due to go on another ship at the Hilton and had to cancel these arrangements at the last minute because of the change of hotel by Celebrity The hotel was ok since it was only for an overnight, but very limited for choice for breakfast places the following morning. We were bussed to the Port leaving the hotel around 1pm and on arrival at the Port we discovered there were no queues at check in. On our day of departure we were assigned to the Sheraton Miami Airport Hotel for the day because our flight wasn't til around 6/6.30pm, but once at the Sheraton, we were left to our own devices, there were no Celebrity reps to be seen after we disembarked the ship. This was all part of the package price of our holiday.

The only major downside of the air package was our connecting flight back from LHR to Edinburgh, we had to wait 7.5 hours after the 9 hour flight from Miami..

Texmex

Archived