NJ transit with luggage?

don pablo

Does anybody know what it would be like to bring luggage on board the New Jersey Transit buses?

Specifically, we are staying pre-cruise in Secaucus /Plaza drive/ near the Walmart/Sams club. There is a #320 bus that goes straight to Port Authority Bus Terminal. We will be 3 (me, my wife and teenage daughter) with 2 rolling suitcases and carryon shoulder bags.

What can I expect as to getting on the bus with the luggage?

Google maps shows from PABT to Manhattan cruise terminal is .8 of a mile. This should be walkable right? We walk our dog way more that daily.

Thanks

Paul

NJ Transit has a compartment underneath where you can store your luggage.

As far as walking, it's doable but I'd talk a cab over to the manhattan terminal. Probably cost you 6 dollars and its quicker!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

that was quick. thank you. so the buses are more Grayhound like than city bus.

as for the walk/cab decision I'll base that on the weather (rain/heat wave) and how much spare time we have.

Thanks again

Paul

NJ Transit, besides motor coaches, also has in their fleet, city type transit buses without undercarriage, luggage compartments. Make sure of which bus type, the 320 is. Look at the 320 timetable. mentions about carry-ons, but I would contact NJ Transit to be sure of bus type operating on the 320 route.

Take a cab to the cruise terminal as Albo888 suggested.

My guess is that the 320 bus doesn't have under bus luggage storage, but you have to check. What time of day and what day of the week are you doing this? A plan B would be to take a cab (Secaucus Taxi) to the Secaucus Junction train Station and then the NJ Transit train to Penn Station and a cab to the port.

My guess is that the 320 bus doesn't have under bus luggage storage, but you have to check. What time of day and what day of the week are you doing this? A plan B would be to take a cab (Secaucus Taxi) to the Secaucus Junction train Station and then the NJ Transit train to Penn Station and a cab to the port.

NJ Transit, besides motor coaches, also has in their fleet, city type transit buses without undercarriage, luggage compartments. Make sure of which bus type, the 320 is. Look at the 320 timetable. mentions about carry-ons, but I would contact NJ Transit to be sure of bus type operating on the 320 route.

Take a cab to the cruise terminal as Albo888 suggested.

the PDF schedule says to "ask the operator to stow in the undercarriage, if available". i'll guess i'll have to call them directly to confirm.

It would be on a Wednesday, 10am-ish hopefully that should be out of the peak AM travel time

Thanks

Paul

As we live in NJ and the bus is a true PIA with luggage I would arrange a car or cab. I find that cars are reasonable and just a few bucks more than a cab plus they are much more comfortable. On the return take a cab.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Price Secaucus Taxi from your hotel to Secaucus Junction Station for three people + luggage and price them directly to the port. The train will cost you $5/pp and a cab from New York Penn Station to the port should be under $15. Then you will have your choices.

I called NJ transit, the girl said yes when I asked if it has an undercarriage storage for luggage.

Secaucus taxi is $60+tolls to the cruise terminal and $15 to junction station

138east, i'm trying to follow your thinking, how would a taxi to junction station, train to Penn station and another taxi be better then a bus (with undercarriage storage) to PABT and taxi? I see it has handling the luggage 6 times instead of 4.

I'll scope out the buses and ask the hotel front desk and taxi stand the same question, and base myself on that

Thanks

Paul

It's a question of knowing all your options. Obviously the bus is your easiest and cheapest option, but if you have two large suitcases and there is no under bus storage, you may have trouble with them on the bus. For example, if the bus is full when it arrives at your stop, it would be difficult to have the three of you and your large luggage and carryons standing in the aisle for trip into NY. In the past I've ridden those buses and they are tight on space inside so they can fit the maximum number of people for the ride.

don pablo, I'm almost certain the 320 buses are motor coaches with luggage compartments underneath. Honestly, taking the bus would be easier than the train from Secaucus Junction anyway. Secaucus is the last stop for the train before NYC, and depending on the time of day, the train could easily be packed which would make managing your luggage a nightmare. I've witnessed people struggle with luggage getting on the train at EWR (2 stops before), and it ain't pretty. Good luck with whatever you choose!

I've ridden the 320 bus a few times and see it almost every time I go in the area (monthly for business-I usually stay at the Crowne Plaza at the opposite end of the shopping area from Walmart).

I have very, very rarely seen anything other than a CITY TYPE BUS. Maybe once around Walmart and that may have been a "shopping tour" bus to the outlet malls. The 320 bus is a COMMUTER line for the North Bergen Park and Ride.

I guarantee I sure wouldn't be trying to get on the 320 bus with large luggage and 3 people.

Thanks Gina. That was my gut feeling about the bus. They are commuter buses and there's no reason for them to have underbus storage for luggage. As i recall, they are also tight buses - narrow center aisle that goes all the way to the rear. Maximum use of space to squish as many people as possible onto the bus. If the OP is going to stay pre cruise in the area, they will have a chance to see the actual bus and make a decision.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update everyone, the NJ transit 320 bus line runs Greyhound style motor coaches, and you can take luggage.

I arrived at the hotel the night before and scoped out the buses. I even asked a few of the drivers about luggage, yes we can take them in the under carriage compartment. With the exception of rush hour (up until 10am)

Overall it was quite an easy process.

Thanks

Paul

Just to update everyone, the NJ transit 320 bus line runs Greyhound style motor coaches, and you can take luggage.

I arrived at the hotel the night before and scoped out the buses. I even asked a few of the drivers about luggage, yes we can take them in the under carriage compartment. With the exception of rush hour (up until 10am)

Overall it was quite an easy process.

Thanks

Paul

Thanks for posting this. This should make Secaucus a very good option for pre cruise stay if you are cruising out of the Manhattan ports and need to transport luggage.

Since the Secaucus areas is a HUGE outlet mall area, I wouldn't doubt the merchants put a lot of pressure on NJ Transit to make buses available where people could do a LOT of shopping (no sales tax on clothes in NJ) and get their purchases back into the City without trying to drag them on the smaller city type buses.

I don't think I have ever been in the area after about 9AM or much before 7PM (working). So that is why I have generally only seen the city type buses which I KNOW go to the North Bergen Park and Ride which is what the 320 bus was originally for. That bus route is very, very short-through all the outlet malls, then to the Park and Ride and straight into the City.

Glad you had a good trip and posted this.

Since the Secaucus areas is a HUGE outlet mall area, I wouldn't doubt the merchants put a lot of pressure on NJ Transit to make buses available where people could do a LOT of shopping (no sales tax on clothes in NJ) and get their purchases back into the City without trying to drag them on the smaller city type buses.

For the record in New York City there is no sales tax on clothing or footwear under $110 and over that it is 4.5%. If you have more than that you could always split the bill at the register and never pay the tax.

interesting that you mention shopping. when we left for the port someone had 4 large packs of toilet paper (think Sams club size) in the luggage storage.

on the way back to Secaucus they guy I was talking to said he was going to the Walmart (it is the closest to midtown according to him)

Paul

interesting that you mention shopping. when we left for the port someone had 4 large packs of toilet paper (think Sams club size) in the luggage storage.

Paul

No wonder, toilet paper is the largest selling item in Costco

SMH.

NJT runs three types of buses. Larger motor coach style MCI's (similar to Greyhound), transit bus (Nova, NABI, and DesignLine), and Neoplan articulated.

(They also have a handful of cutaway style on demand para-transit buses.)

NJT buses that terminate at NYPA are the MCI motor coach's. These buses have bay storage for luggage or other items deemed to large to transport in the passenger compartment. BUT, on certain buses the CNG tanks or hybrid drive components are located in the bay area, leaving very limited storage space for passenger items. The driver will not allow items that can not be stored in the parcel racks overhead or held safely on a lap onto the coach, so you must have a back up plan. Either wait for a later bus or take a cab.

Also please note that there is significant construction taking place on the inbound Lincoln Tunnel lanes with reroutes and your bus could potentially be delayed getting to NYPA.

Archived