Goodie Bags

I don't understand this either. Besides a tip, I think most of the crew (help) would really appreciate just being treated with respect, and allowed to do their jobs. A kind word would probably go a long way too.

It's easy. We follow the lead of each individual. Our cabin attendant for our wedding cruise hardly said boo to us. We were polite and stayed out of her way. Tipped her well as always.

Most of the time we end up knowing all about them. We don't force it; just follow their lead. It never hurts anyone to be polite and friendly.

Brilliance cruise in Canada last fall was the first time my heart symptoms began to frighten me. I didn't venture far from the ship and actually stayed in the room one day. Our cabin attendant could not have been more kind and helpful. He always noticed little things, like how my Jim took such good care of me or my little photo book I carry when I travel with pictures of our wedding on the Radiance.

He went beyond what was expected....or necessary. He was a newly wed and was half way through his first rotation after his wedding.

We didn't hold him down and force this. Perhaps these people can tell when someone is thoughtful and cares.

Ahhhhhhh, but you guys know better, don't you.

For me, I'll continue to care enough to listen if someone wants to share. THAT's called kindness. I don't believe in the "upstairs-downstairs"......we vs. the help. They are people too!

The Cabin Steward, The Waiter, The Head Waiter, the Assistant Waiter.

What do you want to call them?

How do you address them?

Treat them with kindness and respect. Give them gratuities.

But you have to admit that you really have no idea what they think of your gifts of ball caps and T shirts that they could buy on line should they desire one.

Part of their job is to keep you happy and that means graciously accepting anything you give them.

It's entirely possible that they look at your gifts as offensive trinkets that you might give to children.

You don't know what they think and I don't know what they think...

Hey, remember the line from the song "Piano Man", talking about the bartender.... "He's quick with a joke and to light up your smoke, but there's someplace that he'd rather be".

Think about it...

Don't forget......you may be WRONG (God imagine it ) and they were touched by the kindness.

Think about it .......

I was just on the Disney website last night. My daughter graduated from college recently and is employed full time now (yay!), so we've been talking about little trips we could take in between the one cruise a year we go on. We were thinking, maybe a 4-day trip to Disneyworld. So I priced out a trip, sort of based on what kind of amenities we would have on a cruise ship. Hotel with room service, added a meal plan, etc. Quite a bit more than what we could get a cruise for! :eek:

Sad, isn't it.

Friends went recently. We helped with planning to shave off some of the expenses yet they still said when they returned..."Disney sure does know how to separate you from your money".

Of course I'm so cynical that I would think his "allergy" claim really meant, "please give me money, not candy".

I would agree with you if he had not mentioned it much earlier in our cruise - within a first few nights when recommending desserts - than the last night. ;)

Also, we usually tip extra for great service, give it personally with a handshake and throw just a tiny (non-chocolate) something on top.

It's easy. We follow the lead of each individual. Our cabin attendant for our wedding cruise hardly said boo to us. We were polite and stayed out of her way. Tipped her well as always.

Most of the time we end up knowing all about them. We don't force it; just follow their lead. It never hurts anyone to be polite and friendly.

Brilliance cruise in Canada last fall was the first time my heart symptoms began to frighten me. I didn't venture far from the ship and actually stayed in the room one day. Our cabin attendant could not have been more kind and helpful. He always noticed little things, like how my Jim took such good care of me or my little photo book I carry when I travel with pictures of our wedding on the Radiance.

He went beyond what was expected....or necessary. He was a newly wed and was half way through his first rotation after his wedding.

We didn't hold him down and force this. Perhaps these people can tell when someone is thoughtful and cares.

For me, I'll continue to care enough to listen if someone wants to share. THAT's called kindness. I don't believe in the "upstairs-downstairs"......we vs. the help. They are people too!

That's all very nice ... really. :)

What's with the "you guys know better, don't you" attitude? :confused:

"I" said nothing about "upstairs-downstairs". I know "they are people too".

I did say "treat them with respect". I would treat you the same, ... because you "are people too". ;)

[quote name='Donut23']It's easy. We follow the lead of each individual. Our cabin attendant for our wedding cruise hardly said boo to us. We were polite and stayed out of her way. Tipped her well as always.

For me, I'll continue to care enough to listen if someone wants to share. THAT's called kindness. I don't believe in the "upstairs-downstairs"......we vs. the help. They are people too![/quote]

Again.... So many here seem to think that because the staff will spend time talking to you that it's something they enjoy.

The staff is being paid to associate with you should you choose to chat with them.
Would they choose to spend time with you if it wasn't part of their job?

[I]"He's quick with a joke or to light up your smoke but there's someplace that he'd rather be".[/I]

I went out to dinner last night. I had a fantastic meal. When I was done, I gave the bus boy a phone card, my waiter a Texas Tech baseball hat, the bartender a chocolate bar and a key chain, and the maître d' a hug and a dreamcatcher.

[quote name='macruisefan']I went out to dinner last night. I had a fantastic meal. When I was done, I gave the bus boy a phone card, my waiter a Texas Tech baseball hat, the bartender a chocolate bar and a key chain, and the maître d' a hug and a dreamcatcher.[/quote]

I would be afraid to eat there again if I were you!:D

Sherri:)

[quote name='macruisefan']I went out to dinner last night. I had a fantastic meal. When I was done, I gave the bus boy a phone card, my waiter a Texas Tech baseball hat, the bartender a chocolate bar and a key chain, and the maître d' a hug and a dreamcatcher.[/quote]

At least (good or bad) they will remember you. ;)

Now that this thread exploded to 5 pages (with more to come, I'm sure), this raises a question: What exactly is it that makes people see the ship's crew differently than the land equivalents of the same type of workers?

After all, almost no one thinks of giving gifts to waitstaff in restaurants, housekeeping staff in hotels, and so on. (And I'm sure macruisefan here was being facetious. :)) So why would the perception of the ship's crew be different? Is it because they're from foreign countries? Is it because they're seen as less transient than the land staff? (That is, one or two specific persons are assigned to serve you the entire cruise, as opposed whoever is available doing it.) Is it because a cruise ship is seen as something special, while a hotel or a restaurant is "just a building"?

Inquiring minds want to know.

[quote name='LandlockedCruiser01']Now that this thread exploded to 5 pages (with more to come, I'm sure), this raises a question: What exactly is it that makes people see the ship's crew differently than the land equivalents of the same type of workers?

After all, almost no one thinks of giving gifts to waitstaff in restaurants, housekeeping staff in hotels, and so on. (And I'm sure macruisefan here was being facetious. :)) So why would the perception of the ship's crew be different? Is it because they're from foreign countries? Is it because they're seen as less transient than the land staff? (That is, one or two specific persons are assigned to serve you the entire cruise, as opposed whoever is available doing it.) Is it because a cruise ship is seen as something special, while a hotel or a restaurant is "just a building"?

Inquiring minds want to know.[/QUOTE]

I think it's the way cruises have been marketed over the years. Ironically, I find the service isn't what it used to be. But traditionally, you got super-attentive service from your room steward that went way beyond typical housekeeping in a hotel. There is an old joke, "I got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and when I came out, the bed was made!". Then you had traditional dining, with the same servers at the same table every night (Go back even further and you had those same servers three meals a day).

I think the idea that people are making some sort of special connection stems from that level of service, which really is for the most part, a thing of the past.

What I want to know is why does someone in Massachusetts have a Texas Tech baseball hat?

Edit: My son is a Tech grad and he is in Cape Cod for the summer. He'll be happy to know there are two Tech fans in Mass.

[quote name='galavant3']What I want to know is why does someone in Massachusetts have a Texas Tech baseball hat?

Edit: My son is a Tech grad and he is in Cape Cod for the summer. He'll be happy to know there are two Tech fans in Mass.[/QUOTE]

Actually I don't. I was trying to come up with something as arbitrary as giving a NY sports team hat to someone from the Philippines, working on a ship in the Caribbean! If I said "Red Sox hat", that might have seemed relevant to a waiter working in Boston....:D

It's obvious that some folks here have put crew in a different category of people.

The biggest difference I see is we choose to treat everyone equally....even if they do wear a Royal Caribbean uniform. Kindness is universal. Some respond and some want nothing of it.

Leaving a beautiful piece of Godiva chocolate....what's the big deal really. We aren't telling you to do it. If our cabin attendant is a diabetic (as I am), then he shares with someone else. I guarantee it gets snatched up quickly for the little treasure it is.

Again, what's the big deal? Why do you insist those cute little Girl Scouts not share their precious cookies.

It's all about treating everyone the same. Who knows, maybe I'll meet YOU! I'll even be nice to you! Not unheard of.

But go ahead and single out the crew to receive different treatment if it make you feel good. Me, I'll default to nice.

My wonderful Polish Grandmother would say.......you get more with Honey than Vinegar.

Just call me Honey! What do YOU want to be called?

Now I'm going to take my leave here. What? Was that cheering I hear?????

I'm done beating THIS dead horse'

Happy cruising everybody.

[quote name='macruisefan']Actually I don't. I was trying to come up with something as arbitrary as giving a NY sports team hat to someone from the Philippines, working on a ship in the Caribbean! If I said "Red Sox hat", that might have seemed relevant to a waiter working in Boston....:D[/quote]

Too funny! I guess the Tech/Mass combination caught my eye since that is my son's current situation.

[quote name='joe6666']Again.... So many here seem to think that because the staff will spend time talking to you that it's something they enjoy.[/quote]

It's also possible (and quite likely) that sometimes the staff do enjoy chatting with you. The staff are real people, and like other real people, they have varying personalities. Some will be chatty and some not. While I see what you're point is, you come across rather cynical, as if you're assuming every time a staff member interacts with a passenger it's just something they're reluctantly tolerating in order to get through the day.

[quote name='LandlockedCruiser01']Now that this thread exploded to 5 pages (with more to come, I'm sure), this raises a question: What exactly is it that makes people see the ship's crew differently than the land equivalents of the same type of workers?

Inquiring minds want to know.[/QUOTE]

I believe the difference is that...in most instances,... Servers on land get to go home to their families after work. Servers on land typically don't work 7 days a week for 3-6 months straight. Severs on land typically don't work 12-14 hour shifts daily for 7 days in a row for 3-6 months straight! Servers on land typically aren't put under the pressure of "the survey".

But I do leave items in Hotels when I leave. I leave the housekeepers cash as well as any extra food and drinks that have been purchased and unopened. (typically I am in as hotel for 2-3 weeks on business)

To OP:
I think the idea of a gift bag is very thoughtful. However, I have to agree with others that cash and a positive comment (listing them specifically by name and position) on the survey would be the most appreciated way to thank them. I agree they just don't have room to store "trinkets" even if they do like them. I see nothing wrong with candy, etc since they probably would just give it to someone else if they didn't like it. Maybe for a "personal" to you touch...write your thank you on a postcard from your home area. Unless you live right at the port you may be giving them a glimpse of someplace they have never been and more than likely will never go. It gives them a little info about you and they might love it and save it or even send it home. Worst case they trash it...and it didn't cost you much.

After all, almost no one thinks of giving gifts to waitstaff in restaurants, housekeeping staff in hotels, and so on. (And I'm sure macruisefan here was being facetious. :)) So why would the perception of the ship's crew be different? Is it because they're from foreign countries? [B] Is it because they're seen as less transient than the land staff?[/B] (That is, one or two specific persons are assigned to serve you the entire cruise, as opposed whoever is available doing it.) Is it because a cruise ship is seen as something special, while a hotel or a restaurant is "just a building"?

Inquiring minds want to know.[/quote]

I think the part I highlighted in your post is the reason it's different. The staff on a cruise ship are people that you see and interact with every day for the length of the cruise. So, that's a bit different from someone who serves you at a restaurant on a given night.

While I think a personal note, along with your tip, is probably more meaningful than any other "goodie," I don't think it's such a bad thing that some people like to leave some type of gift.

[quote name='Donut23']It's obvious that some folks here have put crew in a different category of people.

The biggest difference I see is we choose to treat everyone equally....even if they do wear a Royal Caribbean uniform. Kindness is universal. Some respond and some want nothing of it.

Leaving a beautiful piece of Godiva chocolate....what's the big deal really. We aren't telling you to do it. If our cabin attendant is a diabetic (as I am), then he shares with someone else. I guarantee it gets snatched up quickly for the little treasure it is.

Again, what's the big deal? Why do you insist those cute little Girl Scouts not share their precious cookies.

It's all about treating everyone the same. Who knows, maybe I'll meet YOU! I'll even be nice to you! Not unheard of.

But go ahead and single out the crew to receive different treatment if it make you feel good. Me, I'll default to nice.

My wonderful Polish Grandmother would say.......you get more with Honey than Vinegar.

Just call me Honey! What do YOU want to be called?

Now I'm going to take my leave here. What? Was that cheering I hear?????

I'm done beating THIS dead horse'

Happy cruising everybody.[/quote]

Your company has a meeting. All the Department Heads are there. After the CEO gives a talk everyone leaves the room and goes home.

After everyone leaves, the company janitor sweeps up, empties the trash cans, waxes the table and all the other things that a janitor does.
The janitor does a good job.

The janitor wasn't invited to the meeting. The janitor doesn't speak to the CEO or any of the Department Heads.

Is the CEO or any of the Department Heads showing any disrespect toward the janitor?

Of course not.

[quote name='joe6666']Your company has a meeting. All the Department Heads are there. After the CEO gives a talk everyone leaves the room and goes home.

After everyone leaves, the company janitor sweeps up, empties the trash cans, waxes the table and all the other things that a janitor does.
The janitor does a good job.

The janitor wasn't invited to the meeting. The janitor doesn't speak to the CEO or any of the Department Heads.

Is the CEO or any of the Department Heads showing any disrespect toward the janitor?

Of course not.[/quote]

Of course not... because the janitor picked up the goodie bags left on the table by those meeting attendees who didn't want them.

[quote=LandlockedCruiser01;38987621 this raises a question: What exactly is it that makes people see the ship's crew differently than the land equivalents of the same type of workers?

Inquiring minds want to know.[/quote]

I'm guessing it's because they see the same waiter every night, and you typically do interact with the room steward more than a typical hotel maid. But I still don't get the guests who want to do more than exchange pleasantries with the staff. It's happened to us a couple times when the staff initiated it, but we don't go out of our way to become their "friend", and it's obvious some people like to do that and get some kind of satisfaction out of it.:rolleyes:

[quote name='Donut23']The biggest difference I see is we choose to treat everyone equally....even if they do wear a Royal Caribbean uniform. Kindness is universal. Some respond and some want nothing of it.[/QUOTE]

So what you're saying is that when you stay at a Hyatt or Hilton, you leave little gifts and trinkets for the housekeeper? That's a little weird...

I can imagine an episode of "Andy of Mayberry Goes Cruising"....

Aunt Bee brings jars of pickles for all the crew and insists on clearing the tables in the MDR.
Clara is jealous.

Barney constantly tries to get into conversations with the Cruise Line Security people about "Mayberry, the Hotbed of Crime".

Goober hangs out at the piano bar doing his Carry Grant impersonation every time someone new comes in.

Opie pushes all the buttons in the elevator. Andy has a long talk about good citizenship with Opie. Opie learns a lesson.

[quote name='joe6666']I can imagine an episode of "Andy of Mayberry Goes Cruising"....

Aunt Bee brings jars of pickles for all the crew and insists on clearing the tables in the MDR.
Clara is jealous.

Barney constantly tries to get into conversations with the Cruise Line Security people about "Mayberry, the Hotbed of Crime".

Goober hangs out at the piano bar doing his Carry Grant impersonation every time someone new comes in.

Opie pushes all the buttons in the elevator. Andy has a long talk about good citizenship with Opie. Opie learns a lesson.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the sweet story of your family. See how nice it is to share!

Archived