Customs medications questions

PurpleCow

When I traveled to Austrailia I was told to bring my prescriptions and all my medications in their original bottles. Then, of course, no one at customs even asked. Was this good advice about any travel outside the country? What about customs in Istanbul? I generally carry my medications (the typical blood pressure, cholesterol, depression, multi-vitimin, low -dose aspirin) in those weekly dispensers. They're convenient and don't take up much room in my carry-on. DO I really need all the bottles and prescriptions?

I take mine in the original container as well as my weekly pack.

I have never been checked but why take a chance that you may have them confiscated. I take just enough for the trip plus a day or two as a buffer (in case we are delayed)

You could also take a note from your doctor stating you need these medications (list all)maybe that would work.

Hi,

I read about a great way to take meds with you so they can be identified very easily. Someone posted that they take the sticker off the bottle and glue or stick it to the little baggies that you use for children's snacks. They take up less room this way than the bottles from the pharmacy. I have never been stopped by any customs agent in any country in the World. Maybe, I have that Senior Citizen look of innocence!!

Sheila

My husband is on too many medications to bring them in the original bottles. Before we travel overseas, we write a letter that states he has been prescribed the following medications, then have his primary care doc sign. Never had a problem, but to be safer, you might even have it copied on the physician's office letterhead.

Kathy

Archived