Only Overnite Flights to Tahiti?

LewiLewi

We are concerned with flight arrangements to Tahiti. It seems that all flights are overnite flights and you are left on your own when you arrive early AM and cannot board the ship till 5 PM. Has this always been the experience?

We flew Charlotte, NC to LA to Tahiti in one day, leaving in the morning and arriving that evening, the day before our cruise. People coming in the day of embarkation also arrived in the evening, some getting to the ship as late as 11 PM. That was in April of this year.

We flew Charlotte, NC to LA to Tahiti in one day, leaving in the morning and arriving that evening, the day before our cruise. People coming in the day of embarkation also arrived in the evening, some getting to the ship as late as 11 PM. That was in April of this year.

When did you fly? The new schedule doesn't seem to have any flights that arrive during normal hours, only very early AM.

It may depend on what month you are flying looking @ Jan schedules Hawaiian air have flights leaving in the morning & arriving late evening but you have a connection in HNL or other airports

I believe that Oceania has been using mostly charter flights for travel to the South Pacific, -don't think that scheduled flights are your only option.

I spoke with O about the charter flights for April and whomever I spoke with said that the charter flights also would be overnite flights. Is there anyone at O who would be able to give us a definitive answer?

I spoke with O about the charter flights for April and whomever I spoke with said that the charter flights also would be overnite flights. Is there anyone at O who would be able to give us a definitive answer?

Neither the Airlines, nor Oceania are likely to make a firm commitment for next Aprils' schedules until 270 days out, so check back with them in August.

The Airline executives will be running around in small circles until then, trying to reinvent the wheel, before they finally decide to duplicate last years program exactly :rolleyes:

What a World, what a World....

It may depend on what month you are flying looking @ Jan schedules Hawaiian air have flights leaving in the morning & arriving late evening but you have a connection in HNL or other airports

Hawaiian air only fly's one flight a week and get in at about 10 pm the problems is that on most of the cruises the ship departs at 8pm It is a 5 hour flight from HNL and only on Saturday afternoon.

For us in Hawaii that means we have to fly to LAX 5 hours then change planes and fly 9 hours to PPT.

For my upcoming cruise that what I have to do unless they delay the ship 2 hours.

Hawaiian air only fly's one flight a week and get in at about 10 pm the problems is that on most of the cruises the ship departs at 8pm It is a 5 hour flight from HNL and only on Saturday afternoon.

For us in Hawaii that means we have to fly to LAX 5 hours then change planes and fly 9 hours to PPT.

For my upcoming cruise that what I have to do unless they delay the ship 2 hours.

We went on the Paul Gauguin last month. They held the ship an extra hour for the 5 people who flew in on the Hawaiian air flight. They got to the ship around midnight.

Oceania will have to use charters as there are too many people onboard to have everybody on the ATN flight. The ATN flight from LA leaves around midnight and gets in at 5am. Occasionally, they have one that leaves at around 4pm and gets in at 8pm, but that is mainly in the summertime.

Paul Gauguin will put the people that book the air with them in a dayroom at the Intercontinental Hotel in Tahiti and then bus them over to the ship for the 3pm boarding. I believe that Oceania will let you drop your luggage off in Papeete, near the ship and then you have most of the day to wander before boarding. This is one of those times I would arrive a day or two early and book a hotel in Tahiti. We did the air ourselves for our cruise and paid a little extra to the hotel we had booked (le Meridien), so that the room was ready for our 6am arrival at the hotel.

Our flights for Feb 2 2014 we leave from Lax on Qantas ( ANT ) at 3:30 pm and arrive Papeete 10 :02 pm the same day. Staying 2 nights at the Intercontenental hotel.Also Boarding at 5 Pm on the 4th

Our flights for Feb 2 2014 we leave from Lax on Qantas ( ANT ) at 3:30 pm and arrive Papeete 10 :02 pm the same day. Staying 2 nights at the Intercontenental hotel.Also Boarding at 5 Pm on the 4th

The flights in April, so far are listed as overnites from LAX, even the flights that are listed as day flights in Feb. are different for April. Hopefully, the powers that be will arrange daytime flights and make it easier for all of us.

When we were on the Paul Gauguin when it was managed by Regent, the same flights on ATN were running LAX to Tahiti. One at 4pm and one at 8;

We booked a room at the Intercontinental for a few days before the cruise and we felt the time we spent there worthwhile and relaxing. We would do that again in a heartbeat.

Overnight flights to the SoPac are common rather than uncommon.

It's a long journey, not always with convenient arrival/departure times and off the beaten path.

The airports aren't modern or air conditioned and the immigation/customs procedure is sloooooooow.

But once you get through the overnight flight and arrival process.....WOW! Glance over your shoulder for the first view of the day at Moorea.

Paradise, Tahitian style.

The two charter flights arranged by Oceania for the April 7 2013 Tahitian Breeze were day flights leaving LAX and arriving around 8:30 pm. We arrived two days earlier and at that time the only ATN flight available left LAX at 4 pm and arrived in Tahiti at 10 pm. There was an overnight ATN flight but I believed it was only flown one or two a week during this period. Our ATN flight connected with an Air France flight from Paris.

Also, it was near impossible to get any information from Oceania regarding the air situation. They were very late in providing information and we were not able to schedule our deviation until much into the 270 days period. This was the case for everyone using O air on this cruise and previous cruisers also had the issues.

I just checked with ITA software for flights from LAX to PPT. Obviously they change with seasons and dates which may be why Oceania can't pin point a flight if you use their air. I looked at the flights for the same day we left in 2013 and they are now all over night versus our arriving the same day. Very strange. Just deal with the uncertainty because the cruise is well the adventure. You will have a wonderful time. One piece of advice is to book your PRIVATE tours well in advance since these islands are small and do not have the capacity to accommodate a ship the size of Marina for tours.

When did you fly? The new schedule doesn't seem to have any flights that arrive during normal hours, only very early AM.

We flew USAir to LA, arriving about noon, then Air Tahiti Nui flight 501 at 4:30 PM from LA to Papeete, arriving at 10 PM.

Coming home it was an overnight flight on Air Tahiti Nui flight 726 from Papeete to LA, 9 PM to 8 AM.

Bob

When we were on the Paul Gauguin when it was managed by Regent, the same flights on ATN were running LAX to Tahiti. One at 4pm and one at 8;

We booked a room at the Intercontinental for a few days before the cruise and we felt the time we spent there worthwhile and relaxing. We would do that again in a heartbeat.

I will emphasise what Kathy said. If possible consider arriving in Tahiti a day or more before your cruise. Then you can be mostly over the jet lag and will enjoy the first couple of days of the cruise even more.

I will emphasise what Kathy said. If possible consider arriving in Tahiti a day or more before your cruise. Then you can be mostly over the jet lag and will enjoy the first couple of days of the cruise even more.

I agree.

If O offers a night flight, then do a deviation and arrive a day or two early. You'll be able to relax and see Tahiti/Moorea or you will totally miss those islands. Then, you'll be rested by the time you board the ship. After all, the next day is a port day!

If you find your own flight, I still think you should arrive a day or so prior to the cruise. It gives you a chance to relax and see the islands. And, there is always the possibility of a cancelled flight. So, go early!

I agree.

If O offers a night flight, then do a deviation and arrive a day or two early. You'll be able to relax and see Tahiti/Moorea or you will totally miss those islands. Then, you'll be rested by the time you board the ship. After all, the next day is a port day!

If you find your own flight, I still think you should arrive a day or so prior to the cruise. It gives you a chance to relax and see the islands. And, there is always the possibility of a cancelled flight. So, go early!

From experience, flying east to west produces little jet lag rather it is the west to east that is killer. I have taken several cruises out of Tahiti and the ones that arrived at night and allowed me to board directly from the airport proved best

Since there are so few flights to Tahiti and all are from LAX and or charter from LAX the potential for delays or cancel is rare if at all. If worried do a layover in LAX it will make the trip way cheaper and way more relaxing.:o

Getting to Tahiti early will require you spend 2 very expensive nights in a not very pretty place ( papteete) It is not a quaint tropical village but a busy commercial port packed to the gills with all the urban things you wanted to get away from.

It will be a very fast whirlwind time to see Moorea that will be less than restfull.

Along these lines the best place to see and stay in Tahiti is on a ship as hotels, food and everything is priced over the top.

I think it is ridiculous that "O" offers free air, but then you are forced to pay for an air deviation or stay in papeete from when plane arrives so early or so late, with nothing to do. I am finding my first going on "O" utterly frustrating. And, the fact that wanting to choose this itinerary for Pitcarin, not even being able to land there, totally unbelievable. Hope by next April things will get better or probably will be last time on "O"

Friends who took the april to Lima cruise from Papetee told me the flew on either the chater or Tahiti nui and arrived in the evening and went direct to the ship and sailed in the morning.....

I do not see the reason to deviate I think the arrive in the am AND WAIT for the evening is for passengers doing the 14 day rt to Tahiti...not the grand voyage Tahiti to Iima. NY/ Dover

Be happy for the intrinsic value of just being on the ship and its pleasure. By putting too much emphasis on this or that port or schedule only sets one up for disappointment. Because in truth it is you and only you that makes you happy or sad...its a choice. Relax and take life slow and as it happens with each day as a gift and a surprise.

I think it is ridiculous that "O" offers free air, but then you are forced to pay for an air deviation or stay in papeete from when plane arrives so early or so late, with nothing to do. I am finding my first going on "O" utterly frustrating. And, the fact that wanting to choose this itinerary for Pitcarin, not even being able to land there, totally unbelievable. Hope by next April things will get better or probably will be last time on "O"

Hi Elaine

We are on your cruise and also finding the air travel difficult. We have asked to travel a couple of days early as it is such a long way from the UK, so we can be up and running by the time the cruise starts. We always find the jet lag worse flying east to west. Hopefully we will stay a couple of nights in the US before heading home as it is such a trauma for us to go through US immigration :eek: so we might as well make it worth it!

I disagree with Hawaiidan regarding the ports - to us the reason we cruise is to visit places we wouldn't normally be able to get to. We would be very disappointed if we don't get to Pitcairn as it is a major reason for taking this itinerary.

We are just hoping Oceania can meet our requests regarding flights but am not sure what we will do if they can't.

Brenda

Archived