British Isles Trip Review June 5 - June 17, 2013 (not quite a thesis, but long)

Mrs Booboo

Thank you for the information! I know it is obnoxious but did you have any trouble/hear of any trouble bringing on anything more than one bottle per person at embarktion or in ports? Thanks! I am in London now and ready to board Saturday!!!

We took a pack of tenents lager on board at greenock with no trouble. When you think about it logically, the cruise visits the most famouse whisky making country in the world and obviously people are going to want to take some home!!

Thank you for the information! I know it is obnoxious but did you have any trouble/hear of any trouble bringing on anything more than one bottle per person at embarktion or in ports? Thanks! I am in London now and ready to board Saturday!!!

We didn't take anything on during embarkation (except soda and water), but we did bring bottles of beer back on in Inverness and Orkney.

One point about the shuttle to Edinburgh is not only is it right there at the end of the pier, but one can use other currencies. In our case it was dollars ($15 round trip). That is not only better than the value of the dollar, but in other places, the going rate was $1.72. From the drop off point, one can either walk to Edinburgh castle (which we did) or take the HOHO, depending on time of the morning (after 10, I believe). Depending on which is up next, the vehicle could be a van or bus. We took a van going and a bus returning. The van driver pointed out points of interest. The return trip was no more than 20 minutes, the morning trip even less.

• 2 weeks later...

Mrs Booboo, thank you so much for your review. We're on the August 16th sailing and I can hardly wait. Your insights on Guernsey are especially helpful - I was looking for an excuse to stay on the ship and relax. The itinerary is packed and adding an extra "sea day" sounds good to me!

Great review. We are on CP in August. Noticed your comment "

"We were surprised that on Bavarian night there was literally nothing non-German available."

Well, it was a Bavarian buffet!:confused::confused:

Mrs Booboo, thank you so much for your review. We're on the August 16th sailing and I can hardly wait. Your insights on Guernsey are especially helpful - I was looking for an excuse to stay on the ship and relax. The itinerary is packed and adding an extra "sea day" sounds good to me!

Come join us on the August 16 Roll Call (check Roll Call section, Princess, Caribbean Princess), Post #2675 is the latest update of our Private Tour List there are still spaces available on some tours. We are a very active board.

See you on August 16.

Great review. We are on CP in August. Noticed your comment "

"We were surprised that on Bavarian night there was literally nothing non-German available."

Well, it was a Bavarian buffet!:confused::confused:

Hansi - even though the buffet was "themed", most nights you could find some things that didn't fit the theme. I think this was true on every night but German night.

While our experience wasn't the best, there are lots of people out there who absolutely loved Guernsey. I think under different circumstances (a non-Sunday when the seafront wasn't closed for a special event), we might have enjoyed it more.

• 3 weeks later...
After getting lots of great information from this board, I wanted to give back and do a review of our recent British Isles trip. I’m no DeloreanGirl, but hopefully you’ll find something helpful – we did some things that I haven’t seen in other British Isles reviews.

Three words sum it up – Best. Vacation. EVER.

Just found this thread! Thanks for the shout-out and I'm so happy it was the best vacation ever for you! Sounds like you had an amazing time!! :D

After reading your review, Woobstr112G's review, Ooh Bother's review and Delorean Lady's review (and I know I read a couple of others, just don't remember the names--sorry) we are ready to make plans for this cruise!! Thanks and glad to hear that there are so many pubs along the way!;)

Loved it.

Yay! You wont regret it! :)

Archived