150 Park Menu Substitutions

beej

You must give them adequate notice.

We didn't give them any notice and they switched it. Maybe we were the exception, but when our waiter handed us the menu he asked if there was anything we didn't like.

I have watched a smithsonian channel video of the Oasis (it's on You Tube and I'm not telling you how many times I have watched it :eek:).

Anyway, the chef from 150 Central Park is on the show and describes her disdain for someone substituting on a tasting menu. She does complete the substitution, but i got the feeling it could throw some things off depending upon the substitution requested.

I would agree that it would be much easier and probably very appreciated if they receive a day or two notice. I believe they are only doing dinner for around 50 or so people a night and likely try and prepare that morning/afternoon. If they have the advance notice, there wouldn't be any last minute "scrambling". Of course, I have no idea how many "extras" they prepare of any given course. Maybe they build in so many extra of each item for the possibility.

I think what happens... At least in our case... Is they just got a chicken dish from one of the other speciality restaurants. Understand 150, Chops and Giovanni's are all next to each other. In fact when we went to Chops, later in the cruise a lady at the table next to ours ordered off the Giovanni's menu. They paid the Chops price...but the staff wanted to make them happy.

This is one of the best dinners we have had, ship or land. We are going back on Allure in November and can't wait to eat there again. We are disappointed that as a group of 3, our daughter is joining us that when we tried to book a reservation they limit the reservation times. If I use two or four we can get earlier times but when we use three they only have one late time listed. I get the reason from their point trying to maximize the seating but when you are willing to book and pay four months ahead I wish they did not play this kind of game. We will try and change once we get on board but that seems unfair.

Once I see the menu, I'll make sure they are given plenty of notice. That really is the only fair thing to do

We eat there at least twice per cruise and they do not need to be told before hand about a need for substitutions. You can let them know in advance if you would like to but it definitely is not necessary. The Chef has told us that they are prepared to make substitutions and the ones we have had were equally amazing. Our favorite RCCL specialty restaurant:). IMHO

Enjoy!

I think what happens... At least in our case... Is they just got a chicken dish from one of the other speciality restaurants. Understand 150, Chops and Giovanni's are all next to each other. In fact when we went to Chops, later in the cruise a lady at the table next to ours ordered off the Giovanni's menu. They paid the Chops price...but the staff wanted to make them happy.
That might work for DH for me to order 150 and him to order from Chops or Giovanni's

In 2011 on Allure we ate at 150. My wife is allergic to seafood. The day of our reservation we recieved a call confirming our reservation and asking about any food allergies. I told them of my wife's allergy and they simply substituted tofu for the fish. It was prepared exactly as the fish was, but with tofu. She said it was excellent. They are extremely accommodating. But if you don't recieve a call, I'd definitely talk to them before arriving. Also they change the menu mid-way through the week. We picked the menu with only one seafood dish.

We were just on Allure two weeks ago and my husband is a VERY picky eater - he won't eat tomatoes or anything from the sea.

One of the courses was salmon and one of the courses was an heirloom tomato gazpacho (one of MY favorite courses!!). When we made the reservation a day before, they were VERY accommodating and made the changes. My husband ended up having the mushroom soup from across the park in Chops and even though he doesn't care for mushrooms, he ate it and said it was one of the greatest soups he's ever had (and even ordered it when we went to Chops later in the week!). They subbed out the salmon for chicken for him as well. Personally, I think he missed out because the salmon was fantastic! ;)

We're not big wine drinkers so we didn't do the pairing, but it was such a fantastic meal with such fantastic service, we absolutely loved it. If the menu speaks to you/most of your party, I HIGHLY recommend going to 150 Park. I will say that the second half of the week menu did nothing for my pallet. I would eat there in a heartbeat again.

We were just on Allure two weeks ago and my husband is a VERY picky eater - he won't eat tomatoes or anything from the sea.

One of the courses was salmon and one of the courses was an heirloom tomato gazpacho (one of MY favorite courses!!). When we made the reservation a day before, they were VERY accommodating and made the changes. My husband ended up having the mushroom soup from across the park in Chops and even though he doesn't care for mushrooms, he ate it and said it was one of the greatest soups he's ever had (and even ordered it when we went to Chops later in the week!). They subbed out the salmon for chicken for him as well. Personally, I think he missed out because the salmon was fantastic! ;)

We're not big wine drinkers so we didn't do the pairing, but it was such a fantastic meal with such fantastic service, we absolutely loved it. If the menu speaks to you/most of your party, I HIGHLY recommend going to 150 Park. I will say that the second half of the week menu did nothing for my pallet. I would eat there in a heartbeat again.

THANK YOU for that information! I am a picky eater and thought about avoiding 150 Central Park on the Allure (we didn't eat there on the Oasis), but I think we will think about it now.

Wonder if we can see both menus when we get on the ship?

I like the idea of letting them know about any substitutions in advance too!

THANK YOU for that information! I am a picky eater and thought about avoiding 150 Central Park on the Allure (we didn't eat there on the Oasis), but I think we will think about it now.

Wonder if we can see both menus when we get on the ship?

I like the idea of letting them know about any substitutions in advance too!

Yes you can... When we were exploring the ship on our 1st day they had both menus posted by the door to the entrance of the restaurant. We had the 1st part booked (and that's the one I preferred) but the 2nd half looked really good also.

We did the wine pairings. The service was so good. I wish I remembered the name of our waiter... He was from the Philippines. He was so knowledgable and the way he explained each course and wine....it made us feel like we were on a Show like Top Chef. Just amazing, and I have travelled all over the world and eaten at some of the best restaurants in many countries. This was worth every penny.

As long as I can substitute from anything fishy, I really can't wait to do this. If it's as good as you all say, we'll be booking it on the second part of the b2b.

Archived