My Upgrading to Suite Story - Be Persistant!

stewpapa

I had an interesting experience this week, in which we ended up in an Ocean Suite from an Ocean View for only $250 each! That is the best suite offer I have ever gotten, and we don't usually splurge for Suites, but it will Grandfather us both in at Platinum as well (I think) so its worth it.

Here is what happened.........

When I do a mock booking of our cruise, I have been seeing a "Special Rate" box which, when clicked, says there is a special rate on Suites only. (Not Inside, Ocean View or Balcony) It said "Past Guest rates + 2 category upgrade + up to $350 OBC". I called Carnival and asked about it. The guy said the rate I was seeing included the OBC as a reduction in the rate. Ok, not as good as it said, so I just upgraded to a Balcony from an Ocean view for only $100 each. That is a good deal.

So Today, I could still see the "Special Rate". I thought, it says "Past Guest rates PLUS 2 category upgrade PLUS up to $350 OBC", not either/or so I was thinking that was false advertising and I was going to call and tell them. I called today and told the PVP what I was seeing. She still couldn’t see it. I kept on asking, "Why can I see it then?" She didn’t know. (She was very nice and helpful though) I just kept on asking "why?" and kept pushing for her to find out or tell them to take it off if it weren't true. (I was very nice too)I kept saying, "I am looking at it right now" She said, "Let me see if there is a special price just for you……let me put in your past guest number" She said when I gave her our booking number, my wife's Past Guest number came up and the special rate wasn't there. I gave her my number and she said, "Oh yes, there it is!” We are now in an Ocean Suite for only $150 more each, thanks to the "Special Rate" OBC of $160 that she could only see when she put in my Past Guest number in the place of my wife's. She couldn't see it when I gave her just my name and booking number. Even the PVP's have a hard time finding the best advertised rates, unless you are persistant. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Moral of this story: Be sure they try all guests Past Guest numbers for special rates when looking for price drops or upgrades.

Thanks Carnival! Can't wait for our Ocean Suite!

I had an interesting experience this week, in which we ended up in an Ocean Suite from an Ocean View for only $250 each! That is the best suite offer I have ever gotten, and we don't usually splurge for Suites, but it will Grandfather us both in at Platinum as well (I think) so its worth it.

Here is what happened.........

When I do a mock booking of our cruise, I have been seeing a "Special Rate" box which, when clicked, says there is a special rate on Suites only. (Not Inside, Ocean View or Balcony) It said "Past Guest rates + 2 category upgrade + up to $350 OBC". I called Carnival and asked about it. The guy said the rate I was seeing included the OBC as a reduction in the rate. Ok, not as good as it said, so I just upgraded to a Balcony from an Ocean view for only $100 each. That is a good deal.

So Today, I could still see the "Special Rate". I thought, it says "Past Guest rates PLUS 2 category upgrade PLUS up to $350 OBC", not either/or so I was thinking that was false advertising and I was going to call and tell them. I called today and told the PVP what I was seeing. She still couldn’t see it. I kept on asking, "Why can I see it then?" She didn’t know. (She was very nice and helpful though) I just kept on asking "why?" and kept pushing for her to find out or tell them to take it off if it weren't true. (I was very nice too)I kept saying, "I am looking at it right now" She said, "Let me see if there is a special price just for you……let me put in your past guest number" She said when I gave her our booking number, my wife's Past Guest number came up and the special rate wasn't there. I gave her my number and she said, "Oh yes, there it is!” We are now in an Ocean Suite for only $150 more each, thanks to the "Special Rate" OBC of $160 that she could only see when she put in my Past Guest number in the place of my wife's. She couldn't see it when I gave her just my name and booking number. Even the PVP's have a hard time finding the best advertised rates, unless you are persistant. Has anyone else had this happen to them?

Moral of this story: Be sure they try all guests Past Guest numbers for special rates when looking for price drops or upgrades.

Thanks Carnival! Can't wait for our Ocean Suite!

This has happened to me, especially the part about they're not being able to see what I was seeing. But, after they plugged in my info, they were able to see my rate.

No, this was on the main page when you look at cruises for a certain ship. Below the rates for inside, ocean view, balcony and suites. It was a red icon that said "special rates". When clicked it shows the special deal on only the suites. We do not gamble at all. I'll try to snap a pic and post it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Here is what I see. Today there is a deal on "inside" as well.

Sorry don't know how to make it larger.

You have to call to find out the amount of OBC. It does not show you when you do a mock booking.

Mine was $160 on top of the mock booking total that I could see.

DOC!.jpg.99102132e0a7b11dbf87bf41de67b0ed.jpg

Here is what I see. Today there is a deal on "inside" as well.

Sorry don't know how to make it larger.

You have to call to find out the amount of OBC. It does not show you when you do a mock booking.

Mine was $160 on top of the mock booking total that I could see.

[ATTACH]276857[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the info, now that I know what to look for I will keep watch more frequently....I would love an upgrade like that.

Archived