Teen Drinking and Carnival - Not For everyone

Blk_Amish

It Takes a Village: And Other Lessons Children Teach Us is a book published in 1996 by First Lady of the United States Hillary Rodham Clinton. In it, Clinton presents her vision for the children of America. She focuses on the impact individuals and groups outside the family have, for better or worse, on a child's well-being, and advocates a society which meets all of a child's needs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Takes_a_Village

Clinton_Village.jpg

The origin of the popular saying “It takes a village to raise a child” is a mystery and came way before Hillary. Some people believe the saying originated in an ancient African proverb; others believe it came from a Native American Tribe. In 1996, Hillary Clinton made the phrase popular by including it as the theme of her book entitled “It Takes A Village.”

BTW, the FB pics I saw were a lot worse than the drinking. I am sure we are ALL familiar with the expression of what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas (if you aren't this is not for you) well what happened on Carnival Magi did not stay there but posted on FB. It's not only images they have taken but some they were caught in that might not reflect the whole story. A picture might worth a 1000 words but your kid in a questionable pic might need some explaining. What others do might affect your child in ways s/he may not think about.

When I say the village idiot not talking about kids I have but can't feed but how much I am wiling to look out for yours and their safety.

It Takes a Village: And Other Lessons Children Teach Us is a book published in 1996 by First Lady of the United States Hillary Rodham Clinton. In it, Clinton presents her vision for the children of America. She focuses on the impact individuals and groups outside the family have, for better or worse, on a child's well-being, and advocates a society which meets all of a child's needs.

Clinton_Village.jpg

Thanks. I knew it had political origins.

BTW....I totally disagree with the premise that my "village" needs to, or has any responsibility whatsoever in raising my offspring. Nor, do I trust anyone outside of my immediate family to have my offspring's best interests at heart.

Clinton_Village.jpg

Really niow. Parenting advice from her is akin to golfing advice from Michael Jordan.

Really niow. Parenting advice from her is akin to golfing advice from Michael Jordan.

Many thought the phrase originated from a African Proverb Ora na azu nwa. I am 50 was raised with the concept.

Let's face it, until an American says it, who cares and just rub some people wrong when a BLK-Amish repeats it:D:D

It was wayyyyyyyy before Hillary, when kids got scolded by neighbors and again when they got home.

Kids used to show adult respect by not using adults first name and answer yes maam and no sir.

Clinton_Village.jpg

BTW....I totally disagree with the premise that my "village" needs to, or has any responsibility whatsoever in raising my offspring. Nor, do I trust anyone outside of my immediate family to have my offspring's best interests at heart.

BTW blk_amish....who are you, really?????

A post by you from Feb this year....

"

Many par-take open with the herb of the gods. That being said I have seen young children around and in the property. There is a 'smoke' shop on the property. I would say not the excursion for young children but I double you would be turned away.
"

....herb of the gods.....? Huh?

Another from March this year...

"I had a really baaaaad Spring Break cruise on RRC a few years ago. Heck, it turned me off cruising and even kids in general:-). As an older teen, I think Carnival Magic should be a fun, memorable..."

Your email is "mustbetripping". What is that about?

""

"I had a really baaaaad Spring Break cruise on RRC a few years ago. Heck, it turned me off cruising and even kids in general:-). As an older teen, I think Carnival Magic should be a fun, memorable..."

Thanks for asking. I am Jamaican and travel a lot because I am the survivor of 2 open heat surgeries. I do 3 major trips each year mostly with my kids, so I thought it was cute because of heritage and lifestyle. I return to Jamaica in 2 weeks. IN 5 years I have done 3 cruises, Canada 2x, Jamaica 4x, Mexico 3x, California coast, Italy, Denmark, Austria, Spain. Next Spring I go to UK and Switerland, truly must be tripping not trippin':D I have done Jamaica mostly as a tourist and try to give others a different take on it.

The post was about Nine Mile and I wanted any parent to know what they could be in for if they decide to go. I was trying to be cute, about herb of the god. Opps!

With all my trips I usually avoid Spring break, not my favorite time to travel, too many kids to watch out for. I posted in February, my cruise was Carnival cruise was in March. My hubby is of Amish/German background

Did you notice I said the excursion was NOT for young children?

My Carnival cruise was fine but different since I haven't done a cruise with a young adult before.

Again, thanks for asking. I guess I could be Jamish. If you need info on Jamaica, I have done most of the island from resorts to riding a donkey on my last trip.

I have been to Negril, Ocho Rios, Montego bay, Port Antonio and everything in between. I have been to Beaches, Couples, All Jamaica Grand properties, the cliffs and beach.

Yeah I also visited Hawaii, last year and this (February) spending 21 days, land vacation. We saw the Big Island, Maui and Kauai.

2013- Hawaii, Carnival cruise, Jamaica, and California Coast until I run out of gas:D.

BTW, the FB pics I saw were a lot worse than the drinking. I am sure we are ALL familiar with the expression of what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas (if you aren't this is not for you) well what happened on Carnival Magi did not stay there but posted on FB. It's not only images they have taken but some they were caught in that might not reflect the whole story. A picture might worth a 1000 words but your kid in a questionable pic might need some explaining. What others do might affect your child in ways s/he may not think about.

When I say the village idiot not talking about kids I have but can't feed but how much I am wiling to look out for yours and their safety.

Got a link??? :D

Got a link??? :D

This forum is not ready to hear that their kids should not be out unsupervised late at night. I doubt they want to see what they do other than drink:eek:.

Honestly, I coud have done without that. The kids are being tagged so if someone tagged my son, the entire picture shows on my wall. Its kids being kids BUT you could be caught in a shot or a pose you may not want to be in, then someone else post it online. Iphones and FB are new to some of us and things we may not thinking about.

Yes, what others do can affect yours and mine, just be aware. Not all parents want their kids on FB and might not know they are being identified by others in randomly taken pics.

Great original post, Bk_Am. It must have been pretty good to inspire so much discussion. Not sure why so much of the discussion seemed so angry. I get your point about "it takes a village" (really, some people never heard that expression before Ms. Clinton?). Not sure why people jumped all over you about parental responsibiliby. The example of the obviously lost child wandering down the street is a good one.

-----------------------------------------------------

As for the alcohol, I think the main problems are the ridiculous drinking age in most of the US compared to most of the world. When we flew back from Europe two years ago I noticed the Lufthansa in-flight magazine mentioned that they would only serve alcohol to those over the age of 16 (the legal drinking age in Germany, I presume). I walked down to my 16 year old daughter a few rows back and pointed it out and invited her to order a drink if she wanted to. She chose not to, but it would have been no big deal either way.

In most of the world, the drinking age is no more than 18 (19 in most of Canada, for example). So either the US has it right and everyone else is wrong, or vice versa. I know what I think. In addition, most liquor laws relate to purchase or possession, not consumption. In many jurisdictions, despite regulations related to purchase or public possession, there are either no prohibitions, or express permissions for otherwise "underage" persons to consume alcohol, either in the privacy of their own home, under the supervision of their parent/guardian, or sometimes merely under the supervision of an adult.

But whatever the "legal age", it is arbitrary. Someone isn't incabable of responsibly consuming alcohol the day before that birthday and perfectly responsible the day of the birthday. I suggest parents provide appropriate, supervised opportunities for consumption in the years before the legal age, so they are less inclined to think it is a big deal and abuse it starting the day they can do so legally. But that's just my parenting view and I respect the fact that others believe differently.

--------------------------------------------

I'm really curious about why anyone on here would be opposed to a curfew. From the posts I've read you all already make sure your children are back to their rooms when you tell them to be so why the fuss over a Cruise line making it a rule? If I was making sure my kids were where they belonged at the time they belonged there I wouldn't be concerned about the ship's rules as I'm pretty sure my curfew would be earlier.

What would the curfew be? Would it be the same for everyone, or just for minors? Would that be for people under 21, under 18 or under some other number? Would that change as you go in and out of international and territorial waters, depending on the age of majority in that jurisdiction? Assuming that a 17 year old needs a corporate-imposed curfew, would it be different from the curfew a 13-year old needs? Would the curfew apply only to unaccompanied children/minors (i.e., I couldn't take my kid out of his cabin)?

As a parent of two teens, I guess I would prefer to make my own rules for my kids (even if the "rule" is empowering them with the responsibility and accountability to make responsible decisions for themselves, like when it is okay for them to be out of their cabin at night).

Great original post, Bk_Am. It must have been pretty good to inspire so much discussion. Not sure why so much of the discussion seemed so angry. I get your point about "it takes a village" (really, some people never heard that expression before Ms. Clinton?). Not sure why people jumped all over you about parental responsibiliby. The example of the obviously lost child wandering down the street is a good one.

As for the alcohol, I think the main problems are the ridiculous drinking age in most of the US compared to most of the world. When we flew back from Europe two years ago I noticed the Lufthansa in-flight magazine mentioned that they would only serve alcohol to those over the age of 16 (the legal drinking age in Germany, I presume). I walked down to my 16 year old daughter a few rows back and pointed it out and invited her to order a drink if she wanted to. She chose not to, but it would have been no big deal either way.

In most of the world, the drinking age is no more than 18 (19 in most of Canada, for example). So either the US has it right and everyone else is wrong, or vice versa. I know what I think. In addition, most liquor laws relate to purchase or possession, not consumption. In many jurisdictions, despite regulations related to purchase or public possession, there are either no prohibitions, or express permissions for otherwise "underage" persons to consume alcohol, either in the privacy of their own home, under the supervision of their parent/guardian, or sometimes merely under the supervision of an adult.

But whatever the "legal age", it is arbitrary. Someone isn't incabable of responsibly consuming alcohol the day before that birthday and perfectly responsible the day of the birthday. I suggest parents provide appropriate, supervised opportunities for consumption in the years before the legal age, so they are less inclined to think it is a big deal and abuse it starting the day they can do so legally. But that's just my parenting view and I respect the fact that others believe differently.

What would the curfew be? Would it be the same for everyone, or just for minors? Would that be for people under 21, under 18 or under some other number? Would that change as you go in and out of international and territorial waters, depending on the age of majority in that jurisdiction? Assuming that a 17 year old needs a corporate-imposed curfew, would it be different from the curfew a 13-year old needs? Would the curfew apply only to unaccompanied children/minors (i.e., I couldn't take my kid out of his cabin)?

As a parent of two teens, I guess I would prefer to make my own rules for my kids (even if the "rule" is empowering them with the responsibility and accountability to make responsible decisions for themselves, like when it is okay for them to be out of their cabin at night).

Here is what NCL says

CURFEWS

Ship’s management reserves the right to enact and enforce curfews on an individual, group, or ship-wide basis, if in the sole judgment of the ship’s Captain, such steps become necessary to ensure guest or crew safety. Children under the age of 17 are not allowed unaccompanied by an adult after 1:00 am.

Yes indeed drinking legal drinking ages are quite arbitrary. Binge drinking among 18-20 year olds has greatly increased in the last 10-12 years IMHO because of the current drinking age. The illegal aspect becomes part of the thrill. I've heard high school girls bragging about how much they drank after the Friday night football game.

They don't realize that drinking that much at such a young age does much more damage that to someone fully mature and that at the 90 lbs some of these girls weigh, it could kill them.

*LIKE*

You and I seem to have a lot of the same views in this area. I never made things "Forbidden" to my kids. I like them try alcohol within reason little by little. Today the are grown adults and even though they like to party in moderation. They have a healthy respect for it and are aware of the consequences.

Maybe it helped having a mother (my ex) who had her battles with addiction. She has been better the last few years then she has been in a long time and my kids know first hand it is no picnic, and its a tough road back once you hit bottom. They saw that with their own eyes, Not from a book, or a cliched lecture , or an after school special.

I was no saint at their age and have let them know that. Only for the fact that I am on to them and know whats out there . What they are considering doing or doing now, I have already been there done that.

You don't do a child any favors by covering their eyes and shilding them from everything. In small doese at the appropriate times , kids need to have alittle freedom, get a chance to experience things for themselves and see what the wortld is really like out there . Be there to support and guide them, but let them bump their noses a little too.

I would think that the cruise lines who have chosen to impose curfews have done so based on experiences with unsupervised teens. Too often parents abdicate the supervisory role or the teen takes advantage of a new or different environment and their usual behavior changes.

If you do not want others imposing restrictions on your child, chose a cruise line without curfews.

Societies have all sorts of arbitrary rules that are there for the majority of the group. Clothes? Arbitrary. Age of consent for sex? Arbitrary. Age for drinking/smoking/driving/voting? Arbitrary. Rules for sports? Arbitrary.

When you chose to be part of a society, you agree tacitly by joining to participate in that societies' rules. When you purchase and sign a cruise agreement, you are agreeing to those standards. Don,'t like the cruise line's standards? Find a cruise line you agree with.

""

Since you asked I added the information to my signature. Fun ain't it;).

Here is what NCL says

CURFEWS

Ship’s management reserves the right to enact and enforce curfews on an individual, group, or ship-wide basis, if in the sole judgment of the ship’s Captain, such steps become necessary to ensure guest or crew safety. Children under the age of 17 are not allowed unaccompanied by an adult after 1:00 am.

Yes indeed drinking legal drinking ages are quite arbitrary. Binge drinking among 18-20 year olds has greatly increased in the last 10-12 years IMHO because of the current drinking age. The illegal aspect becomes part of the thrill. I've heard high school girls bragging about how much they drank after the Friday night football game.

They don't realize that drinking that much at such a young age does much more damage that to someone fully mature and that at the 90 lbs some of these girls weigh, it could kill them.

I doubt that a 1:00 curfew for my 15 year old (it wouldn't apply to my 18 year old) would influence me in booking a cruise one way or the other. Might my son be out past 1:00 hangin with his friends otherwise? Maybe. Would it be a big deal either way if he had to be back to his cabin by 1:00? Probably not. All that said, I'm happy to be the parent and take responsibility for my children.

If an 18 year old dies from alcohol poisoning, then that is so far beyond over-drinking that it isn't a matter of whether the person is an 18 year old girl weighing 90 lbs or a 45 year old woman weighing 120 lbs. I can't argue that the weight difference, at some point will be the difference between dying and merely being seriously poisoned but surviving. However, that difference shouldn't be guiding our parenting decisions or corporate rule-making (e.g., curfews). Either way it is so far beyond over-drinking that something has gone wrong.

*LIKE*

You and I seem to have a lot of the same views in this area. I never made things "Forbidden" to my kids. ...

You don't do a child any favors by covering their eyes and shilding them from everything. In small doese at the appropriate times , kids need to have alittle freedom, get a chance to experience things for themselves and see what the wortld is really like out there . Be there to support and guide them, but let them bump their noses a little too.

Thanks. I agree.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I would think that the cruise lines who have chosen to impose curfews have done so based on experiences with unsupervised teens. Too often parents abdicate the supervisory role or the teen takes advantage of a new or different environment and their usual behavior changes.

If you do not want others imposing restrictions on your child, chose a cruise line without curfews.

Societies have all sorts of arbitrary rules that are there for the majority of the group. Clothes? Arbitrary. Age of consent for sex? Arbitrary. Age for drinking/smoking/driving/voting? Arbitrary. Rules for sports? Arbitrary.

When you chose to be part of a society, you agree tacitly by joining to participate in that societies' rules. When you purchase and sign a cruise agreement, you are agreeing to those standards. Don,'t like the cruise line's standards? Find a cruise line you agree with.

Hmmmm. Where to start.

On your first point, cruise lines make business decisions related to profit. Maybe they are concerned about liability and impose a curfew. Maybe they think curfews will scare off customers who don't like the concept for the reasons explained in this thread. Either way, it is a business decision aimed at maximizing revenues/profits and minimizing costs/liabilities. Nothing more.

I agree with your statement that if you don't want a curfew, don't sail on a ship that has one. That wouldn't be on my top 10 list of reasons why I continue to sail on Carnival, but it may be for some.

Many rules/laws involve distinctions (particularly with respect to age) that are arbitrary, which is fine. I was a little curious about your reference to "clothes". I'm trying to think of an arbitrary rule related to clothes. You have to be a certain age to get a driver's license, for example (16 in my jurisdiction). Part of my point was that there is a perception among many that the arbitrary rule equates perfectly with the distinction between right and wrong (e.g., it is right to drink at 21 and 0 days and wrong to drink at 20 and 364 days). Given that the rule is arbitrary, that makes no sense. Especially as a parent, I think it is important to understand the purpose of the rule/law when deciding between right and wrong (as distinct between "legal and illegal" or "contractually permitted and not permitted"). And as others have pointed out above, so-called "under age drinking" is not illegal in many jurisdictions, depending on the circumstances (e.g., privacy of the home under parental supervision).

I'm not sure I agree that "when you join a society you agree to abide by its standards". I'll have to think about that. Most of us are born into a society and have little choice in agreeing to the rules/standards.

At some level, I agree that when I sign a cruise contract, I agree to abide by the cruise's rules. But not entirely. When I "sign" a cruise contract (which no one actually ever does, right?), am I also somehow binding my wife, who never signed (figuratively or otherwise) anything? And do we always follow all the rules when we enter into an agreement with a commercial enterprise? I've bought tickets to a sporting event and sat in (better) seats that weren't the ones I paid for. I've brought my own soda and snacks into a movie theater, despite conditions of purchase that clearly say that isn't permitted. I've taken my cell phone to a concert despite clear warnings that "recording devices are not permitted".

So I don't feel too strongly about abiding blindly to every rule for every commercial/retail/service agreement I enter into.

I see its business as usual in here. Someone posts about a "bad" kids do and everyone jumps on them. For the record, I have 3 teenaged boys that I'm sailing with in less than 2 weeks. I am very worried about the teen alcohol situation that I know is going on aboard cruise ships. I am also well aware of my own kids' fascination with alcohol. I am expecting this cruise to be a constant vigilante mission for me. I have no doubt my children will be completely irritated with me because I plan to monitor them closely. They are definitely not getting the amount of freedom they are sure they are entitled to.

That being said, there are 3 of them and one of me, and sometimes I require sleep. I would definitely appreciate a curfew imposed by the cruise line. I think it would alleviate some of the drinking going on. At the very least parents would know the kids couldn't be out running around while they sleep.

I'm a "village" believer too. I think a lot of kids would benefit if more people were willing to correct them gently. Kids act up. Sometimes they need a reminder. Maybe the child you see acting up DOES have crappy parent's. You could teach that kid something his parents didn't. If the adults in a society don't care, why would we expect the kids to? I would consider a community to be global, cruise ships included.

I appreciate the OP's trying to warn others. I had already told mine that their suitcases and persons are getting searched before we leave. I will know where they are at all times. Nobody will come to our cabin unless I have met the parents. Ditto for going in anyone else's cabin. Curfew is 1. I have reminded them about courtesy and manners to other passengers. They are required to eat dinner with me every night. I am fully prepared to punish them and have a perfectly miserable cruise if that is what it takes to keep them in line.

I am in awe of all the people who come in here and act like every time a kid acts up the parents must be horrible or lazy or refuse to take responsibility. I don't believe it for a minute. I'd say half the people who come in these threads saying they never worry about their little darlins cause they raised em up right have kids who're sneaker than they think. Another quarter or so got blessed with naturally complacent kids. The last quarter might actually know something the rest of us don't about raising perfectly behaved kids.

Whatever. I appreciate all information shared here and plan to use it to keep my imperfect children safe on vacation.

Do your teenage boys have 1 am curfews at home?

I don't get why we as Americans are so hung up on 21 as a drinking age, most of the world has a lower drinking age, some as low as 16. 21 is just some arbitrary number that the govt came up with to give in to anti-drinking groups. I want to know why it is ok to vote for president, or get deployed overseas, shot wounded or killed serving my country, at 18.19,20, I can carry a machine gun, drive a tank, even command a squad of soldiers, but I'm not responsible enough to drink. It's a load of hooey. Btw I have children in their 20's and they never drank until it was legal, but that's how we taught them.

Before I start, can I pass on my condolences to the family and friends of the sadly deceased.

Now, I'm 19 years old, English, and want to pass on my own opinion here, coming from a teenager, and I fully expect to be shot down by parents on high horses, but I'm gonna say it anyway.

I've been on several cruises since I was 14, this summer will be the first time I'm cruising as an over 18. As we are Med cruisers, this means I will enjoy full freedom on the ship.

As a side note here, I've lived independently of my parents for nearly two years now, so I pretty much have full freedom back home. I do drink and party regularly however I'm old enough to make my own decisions, know my limits and never go out to bother anyone.

Secondly, I will most likely skip the drinking when we go away anyway. My family are non-drinkers, we have the soda package which is great value, so whilst yes I drink back home, I'm probably going to stick to cola on the cruise, maybe bar one or two cocktails over the week.

Now as I've said I've been an mid-to-late teen cruiser on a few occasions over the last few years. What's been interesting for me is the contrast in dynamics of the teen group of the ship, it really varies cruise to cruise.

One such cruise we had a brilliant inclusive social group, we partied hard in the teen night club, and kept in touch.

Another cruise, I'm afraid to say, wasn't so good. We tended to abandon the club and just hang around elsewhere, and although the drinkers were only a subset of the teens in that group, they were a dominant subset. I spent quite a lot of that week worrying what would happen if security caught us with alcohol, but I wasn't brave enough to speak up, and ended up not really enjoying my holiday.

My parents are a very trusting bunch. Even when I was 14-15 they were quite happy for me to finish dinner with them at 8.30 and not see me again until 1am. In fact they might not even see me until the next morning as they sometimes went to bed before I was back in the cabin. This worked well as they felt I was a responsible lad and I knew that I'd get in trouble if I didn't follow the rules. To be honest I think my curfew would be earlier than 1am if that wasn't the ship curfew, but my parents sort of took it that all teens would be out till 1 and they certainly would hate for me not to fit in. If the ship let other teens out all night, they'd probably want me back by midnight.

One last point on the curfews, I feel some lines are a bit too serious about them. I'd prefer a common sense approach where ship security merely reserve the right to escort under 18s to their cabin after 1am. Bit of common sense is needed, a bunch of 15 year olds running up and down corridors? Taken back to room. 17 year olds chilling quietly and eating pizza? Leave them be.

Thoughts? :)

I get your point about "it takes a village" (really, some people never heard that expression before Ms. Clinton?). [/font][/color]

If this is true, my only choice is to forgive some of the posters. Their ignorance got the best of them. Forget the curfew, what about cultural awareness. At 5, my kids may not have known the expression, word for word, but they knew there were families that was different from the one they were being raised in. I might need help getting them to bed but I know I have done a great job opening their eyes.

Yep, they got my forgiveness, thanks to Mark Twain:

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” - we have to get off da boat for this to happen!

I don't get why we as Americans are so hung up on 21 as a drinking age, most of the world has a lower drinking age, some as low as 16. 21 is just some arbitrary number that the govt came up with to give in to anti-drinking groups. I want to know why it is ok to vote for president, or get deployed overseas, shot wounded or killed serving my country, at 18.19,20, I can carry a machine gun, drive a tank, even command a squad of soldiers, but I'm not responsible enough to drink. It's a load of hooey. Btw I have children in their 20's and they never drank until it was legal, but that's how we taught them.

Because MADD put a knife to the throat of every member of congress(no pcaps anymore, undeserving) with a bunch of made-up statistics and nobody in congress(see above note) had the stones to challenge them or tell them to take a hike.

That's why the drinking age is 21 in every state.

Before I start, can I pass on my condolences to the family and friends of the sadly deceased.

Now, I'm 19 years old, English, and want to pass on my own opinion here, coming from a teenager, and I fully expect to be shot down by parents on high horses, but I'm gonna say it anyway.

I've been on several cruises since I was 14, this summer will be the first time I'm cruising as an over 18. As we are Med cruisers, this means I will enjoy full freedom on the ship.

As a side note here, I've lived independently of my parents for nearly two years now, so I pretty much have full freedom back home. I do drink and party regularly however I'm old enough to make my own decisions, know my limits and never go out to bother anyone.

Secondly, I will most likely skip the drinking when we go away anyway. My family are non-drinkers, we have the soda package which is great value, so whilst yes I drink back home, I'm probably going to stick to cola on the cruise, maybe bar one or two cocktails over the week.

Now as I've said I've been an mid-to-late teen cruiser on a few occasions over the last few years. What's been interesting for me is the contrast in dynamics of the teen group of the ship, it really varies cruise to cruise.

One such cruise we had a brilliant inclusive social group, we partied hard in the teen night club, and kept in touch.

Another cruise, I'm afraid to say, wasn't so good. We tended to abandon the club and just hang around elsewhere, and although the drinkers were only a subset of the teens in that group, they were a dominant subset. I spent quite a lot of that week worrying what would happen if security caught us with alcohol, but I wasn't brave enough to speak up, and ended up not really enjoying my holiday.

My parents are a very trusting bunch. Even when I was 14-15 they were quite happy for me to finish dinner with them at 8.30 and not see me again until 1am. In fact they might not even see me until the next morning as they sometimes went to bed before I was back in the cabin. This worked well as they felt I was a responsible lad and I knew that I'd get in trouble if I didn't follow the rules. To be honest I think my curfew would be earlier than 1am if that wasn't the ship curfew, but my parents sort of took it that all teens would be out till 1 and they certainly would hate for me not to fit in. If the ship let other teens out all night, they'd probably want me back by midnight.

One last point on the curfews, I feel some lines are a bit too serious about them. I'd prefer a common sense approach where ship security merely reserve the right to escort under 18s to their cabin after 1am. Bit of common sense is needed, a bunch of 15 year olds running up and down corridors? Taken back to room. 17 year olds chilling quietly and eating pizza? Leave them be.

Thoughts? :)

RCL has a curfew. I did not see any young children roaming around at wee hours. There were times teens were doing as you suggested without problems. It could also be the time of the cruising, Spring Break can be more problematic. 1 am, for a young child, is late plus unsafe without parent supervision.

Thanks for sharing your perspective.

RCL has a curfew. I did not see any young children roaming around at wee hours. There were times teens were doing as you suggested without problems. It could also be the time of the cruising, Spring Break can be more problematic. 1 am, for a young child, is late plus unsafe without parent supervision.

Thanks for sharing your perspective.

The curfew isn't to protect the kids, rather it's to protect behaving pax from rowdy kids.

Archived