Massage therapists on Noordam

Mar56

I am hoping that my DB and SIL can come with us on our Noordam cruise next January. However, my SIL has had back problems for years and is hesitant to cruise, as she is unsure of the massages that she might receive on the ship, to help her manage the pain.

Does anyone know the qualifications of the massage therapists? Are they registered with a particular professional organization? (ie. Registered Massage Therapists?)

Thanks in advance.

While on another cruise line a few years back I had the unfortunate experience of one of the worst massages of my life. Turns out the "therapist" had recently been promoted from clerk in the gift shop with only a short training course. Several other guests had similar poor experiences. The spa management offered replacement treatments with talented staff to those who were willing to give the spa another chance. Not everyone took them up on the offer.

Good question.

I don't know -- but I did talk to my spine surgeon and he said for me not to even think about getting anything like that done on the ship -- just in case they hit a nerve or rub an area wrong.

So -- I start my spinal epidurals again next week.

Thanks KK - I guess this might not work for her. the last thing she needs, as does anyone actually, is to incur an injury from the massage.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

I am hoping that my DB and SIL can come with us on our Noordam cruise next January. However, my SIL has had back problems for years and is hesitant to cruise, as she is unsure of the massages that she might receive on the ship, to help her manage the pain.

Does anyone know the qualifications of the massage therapists? Are they registered with a particular professional organization? (ie. Registered Massage Therapists?)

Thanks in advance.

If you are used to a RMT don't even think about using the ship's employees. All my experiences on the Oosterdam, Westerdam and Zuiderdam have been underwelming, amatuer experineces that were quite over-priced for value received. Why did I get more than one--thought it might be better next time. Never again!

I would NOT recommend them for pain management!:eek:

I took a 26 day cruise on the Noordam in April 2013. I have an autoimmune disorder that makes pressure on my arms/upper back a problem. I was lucky enough to have Rianna give me a massage and facial 3 times. She listened to my medical concerns and was very attentive to how she did my massage. You also fill out a medical questionnaire the first time you go for a massage. I was talking with her about her training and she told me that she had 3 years of schooling in massage therapy. We are taking another cruise on Noordam in November and I certainly hope that she is still on board.

They are Steiner employees and are rotated around the various cruise lines. As for their professional credentials, they may be CMTs and that's about all.

Steiner is in the business of making money and trains its employees to give customers a hard sell to buy some optional products and services.

Archived