Seattle - Which hotel would you pick?

phabric

I am planning for next August Princess Alaska cruise out of Seattle. We have never been to Seattle before.

Princess goes out of Pier 91.

We plan on staying 2 nights pre cruise. We want to stay downtown, don't want to travel back to an airport hotel after sightseeing. I was thinking Inn at the Market or someone has mentioned the Marriott Waterfront. If the price is roughly close to each other which hotel would you choose?

Plan on staying 1 night post cruise at the Mayflower Park hotel to use the light rail back to the airport.

I am planning for next August Princess Alaska cruise out of Seattle. We have never been to Seattle before.

We plan on staying 2 nights pre cruise. We want to stay downtown, don't want to travel back to an airport hotel after sightseeing. I was thinking Inn at the Market or someone has mentioned the Marriott Waterfront. If the price is roughly close to each other which hotel would you choose?

Plan on staying 1 night post cruise at the Mayflower Park hotel to use the light rail back to the airport.

Of the two I'd pick a (water view) room at the Inn at the Market. You're considerably closer to many sights, restaurants, and transportation options than down below on the waterfront.

for a quick overview of downtown Seattle you may wish to look at Tripadvisor.com Seattle forum and read top question on right side. Look at Where to stay in Seattle to get an overview. Inn at the Mkt is nice but there are many other downtown hotels that would work well for your needs. There are several tour operators who will do a pre or post cruise tour with luggage.

toursnorthwest.com

is one.

Some of it comes down to personal tastes. Inn at the Market is a smaller boutique hotel. It's going to be a little more quirky and individual. The Marriott Waterfront is a very nice hotel, and will have its local touches, but it's going to have more of a corporate, standardized feel.

There's also the location--both are good, but the Inn at the Market is probably more accessible and it's a little easier to get from there to many local sights. The Marriott is great for accessing Pier 66 (which won't help you anyway), and the waterfront (tour boats, ferries, the water taxi, the aquarium, the Great Wheel, some touristy shops and restaurants) but everything else is going to involve getting up the bluff to the rest of downtown.

Personally, I would probably go for the Inn at the Market--but my tastes and priorities are not your tastes and priorities.

Thank you for all the helpful information.

It is hard to choose a hotel if you have never been there. Cruise Critic is great, we get helpful information from people who live there or have been there. I have taken many private tours and hotels from the recommendations on Cruise Critic.

Had a 2 night post cruise stay at the Inn at the Market. The room was very nice, clean. The staff, very friendly and helpful. Had street view room and there was NO noise. Would stay again!

Last year we stayed at The Moore for one night. I will say the Moore was what you paid for, no air so we opened the windows and still did not sleep due to heat, another was the area it was in, not thrilled with it so I said if we ever come back we are staying at the Inn at the Market due to its proximity to everything. Sooo we are going again this august and have rooms booked there, we have one in our group with some mobility issues so wanted to be fairly close to Pikes, starbucks etc. If it were just hubby and I we would probably look at something a bit cheaper and walkable as we have no issues walking. But than again.....it will be nice to be that close to everything this time around and am really looking forwad to it.:D

Last year we stayed at The Moore for one night. I will say the Moore was what you paid for, no air so we opened the windows and still did not sleep due to heat, another was the area it was in, not thrilled with it so I said if we ever come back we are staying at the Inn at the Market due to its proximity to everything. Sooo we are going again this august and have rooms booked there, we have one in our group with some mobility issues so wanted to be fairly close to Pikes, starbucks etc. If it were just hubby and I we would probably look at something a bit cheaper and walkable as we have no issues walking. But than again.....it will be nice to be that close to everything this time around and am really looking forwad to it.:D

One drawback to the Inn at the Market is that this part of Pine Street slopes down a good bit between First Avenue and Pike Place. If your friend uses a wheelchair, or just has trouble with hills, it could be a challenge. Most people can handle it okay--my creaky knees might complain, but I can get up it, slowly!

And you must have been here last time at one of the rare times when Seattle actually gets warm enough to need air conditioning. That happens maybe two or three times a summer, for short stretches (we're heading into one now--89 degrees by Monday!! :eek: ) There are probably a few older hotels downtown that don't have air conditioning. They say you know you're from Seattle when you know more people who own boats than air conditioners--and I do!

Hi guys, I was set on doing an airport hotel, but really wanted to go to Pike Place market. How far is Red Lion downtown from there? I thought rate was reasonable. We will fly to Seattle Sat. afternoon and have all Sunday morning until cruise departs afternoon.

How is Hyatt Place downtown? It's a bit more but next to Chihuly and continental breakfast

I think the Hyatt location is rather awkward.

I much prefer the Red Lion location. Only a 3-block walk to the Market, and only 1 block to Westlake Center where you would catch the Monorail to the Seattle Center. (the monorail would add another unique Seattle experience to your visit!) The Chihuly exhibit is incredible ...I'm going again next week.

I'd save the Market for Sunday morning ... it's get overly crowded after noon-time. (You can always check out of your room and leave your bags with the bellman.)

Archived