Alcohol policy

PurpleCow

Yes, you can definitely bring aboard any alcohol and wine you'd like. Oceania, does not sell alcohol in the gift shop, so don't plan on buying any there so make sure you bring aboard what you'd enjoy drinking in your cabin.

My flight gets in 5 hours befor we're permitted to board ship. I have a cruise line transfer, so I'm assuming they'll just drive around to kill time. Any chance I'll be able to find and get the driver to stop at a liquor store in Istanbul on a Saturday?

My flight gets in 5 hours befor we're permitted to board ship. I have a cruise line transfer, so I'm assuming they'll just drive around to kill time. Any chance I'll be able to find and get the driver to stop at a liquor store in Istanbul on a Saturday?

I dunno ... Turkey is Islamic although a secular society. I don't remember seeing any liquor stores when we were there a few years ago but then I wasn't looking for any!

In that case I think I'd play it safe and bring some with me ... and perhaps look en route for liquor stores.

Purple Cow- What is your flight schedule? If you change planes in Europe, you can go to the duty free stores at the airport. You can even shop duty free in the U.S. when you have an International flight. They will put your purchase in a small carry on box that fits in the overhead. Much preferred to putting it in your luggage before hand. I think you also get the best prices that way. I've done that on flights to/from Africa. We always changed planes in Europe. They have wonderful duty free stores at all the international airports. Liz

I dunno ... Turkey is Islamic although a secular society. I don't remember seeing any liquor stores when we were there a few years ago but then I wasn't looking for any!

In that case I think I'd play it safe and bring some with me ... and perhaps look en route for liquor stores.

Alcohol was quite available in Turkey. I don't recall seeing a liquor store except at the airport and the port. I saw a lot of Raki at the tourist places and beer wine and raki was sold in restraunts and there are bars. I'm sure if you looked for a liquor store you would find one. In the building port building we went through to board Wind Star, there was a duty free with liquor but I didn't check out prices.

I'm flying out of Orlando. I change planes at JFK and then fly directly to Istanbul. All on Delta. I'll be alone, meeting up with my party (all flying out of San Fancisco) in Istanbul. I mention that only because I won't have anyone to help me juggle parcels. I have room in my carry-on for a bottle or two. Would there be any trouble with customs in Istanbul? I'm a little dicey about Istanbul and don't want to do anything that would make me stand out (i.e leaving chai, military ID and anything outwardly patriotic at home). I also want to see if I can find a store where I can purchase enough bottled water and Diet Coke for 2 "Coke Heads" for 12 days. Istanbul is on the European side of Turkey, so perhaps it's a bit more cosmopolitan that I expect. Just found this at Frommer's:

For a predominantly Muslim country, it might be surprising that alcohol is even sold in Turkey. The truth is, the drinking of alcohol is not an issue: Some do, some don't. Beer, wine, and spirits are readily available in restaurants, bars, and liquor stores, and theoretically you have to be at least 18 to purchase or consume them. Bars stay open until the people go home.

Archived