Big Band Cruise Question

dorie37

Has anyone gone on one of these Big Band Cruises? We are looking at one on the Volendam Nov.5. Is there really a lot of dancing? We did a Volendam 10 day cruise Jan 2004 with almost all the same ports. My other choice is the Westerdam on Nov 6. We have not been on this class ship yet and thought this would be something new. Any comments would be apprecated.

I was on a Big Band trans-Atlantic with the Guy Lombardo Orchestra in '01. I danced so much my legs burned!

The band had one or two evening shows (no dancing there). They also did a couple of cocktail sets, a tea dance, the bar-b-q, and they played for two hours at the Lido Pool every sea day.

We had four especially good gentelmen hosts that cruise. They never sat down, and they danced with every woman who wanted to dance---not just their favorites over and over.

I had a great time. Hope you do, too.

Thanks for the info - I also saw the other date in another brouchure. Last week while I was in the TA office he called HAL about this big band cruise and the HAL person never stated it was not Nov 5. Oh, well. Still have to decide if I want to do another Volendam or try the Westerdam

The Crow's Nest has it's usual mix of pre-dinner cocktail music, after-dinner dancing, and the late-night disco.

Whatever band is playing there usually has a more modern-type music as it's repetoire.

I was disappointed in the ’03 Oosterdam Big Band cruise, but then again I had just gotten off of the QE2 big band cruise. On the Oosterdam, I do not recall many concerts whereas QE2 had a concert going constantly [but there were 5 big bands on the QE2]. Music lectures and historical stories of the Big Bands [none on HAL].

On HAL, the Tommy Dorsey band [i think] was at only half strength and seemed to play mainly in the Crow’s Nest. They played their usual Big Band repertoire.

My DH and I were on a Big Band Cruise on the Rotterdam in 1979 from New York to Bermuda and Nassau. Southbound - The Tommy Dorsey orchestra and Northbound Les and Larry Elgart. We danced till we couldn't walk. Great fun. Only problem Northbound the sea was rough, it was formal night and DH and I were dancing the Jitter bug. He let go of me and twilled me around and I flew across the floor on the dance floor. Almost did a complete split. Luckily my gown had a long split up one side.

All these years later, we'd do it again.

We're sailing on the Oct. 26 cruise. Will let you know all the details when we return. Four months from today at this time we will be enjoying our sail-away dinner. Not that we are anxious, you understand. :D

Come on Westerdam 11/6!! There is a thread on Roll Call already & several people have posted. DH & I are doing B2B on this one & 11/13 -- have done 10 & 11 nt cruises in past as well as a bunch of 7 nt & always envied those B2Bers who didn't have to get off the ship!!

We're on the October 26 Volendam Big Band Cruise, also.

We didn't book it because it was a Big Band but it happened to be the most convenient date for us and we wanted to go to Volendam for ten days.

Doesn't matter to us either way if it is Big Band or not. (At least we were aware of it when we booked.....sometimes we don't know if there is a special group or whatever to be aboard until we arrive at the ship.)

Sail7Seas, I hope we have a chance to meet while on board. I always enjoy your posts, your vast knowledge and your enthousiasm for all things HAL.

We booked the Oct. 26th cruise because it was the best for our DS and D-I-L in terms of their work and their kids' college schedules. Just yesterday, our nephew and his wife joined our little group. Looks like it will be a fun cruise.

Since we enjoy ballroom dancing, it is a happy coincidence that this will be a big band cruise. Four months from today, we will be in Nassau!

"the2ofus" ....

Thanks for your nice comments. I also really hope we meet.

I was so happy last week to meet "grannynurse" and her DH aboard Maasdam. She was as delightful and fun and interesting as I knew she would be from her posts. DH and I happily enjoyed several really nice conversations with them. ( :o Unfortunately, DH hardly got a word into the conversation as 'granny' and I chatted away....and he's very accustomed to 'leading the conversation' in his profession.)

I'm sure we'd enjoy meeting you and your family, as well. As the time gets closer, we'll arrange how to contact one another.

Archived