Why wont the yachts move out the way?!?!

I always question why the US Coast Guard doesn't run engines made in the USA.

Because in the past American made outboards were junk;)

I've seen a few running the new Mercury Verado's which are great

The 5 blasts on the horn are telling the vessel to either move or signal what they are doing. So long as the smaller vessel is under power, the cruise ship has the right of way.

A lot to do over not much. Yes the smaller sailboat to starboard should have turned away. It didn't and the captain gave a few morning blows to make sure they new their was a ship approaching from behind them.

The smaller ship that crossed in front of the Pearl was to starboard, therefore - he was the stand-on vessel, and the Pearl is the give-way vessel. He had the right of way, and could proceed on course.

The larger ship that was to port? He was the give-way vessel, and should have altered his course. I'd be willing to bet the 5 short blasts were intended for him, not the smaller one that was doing absolutely nothing wrong. And I'd also guess that the Captain knows this.

The smaller ship that crossed in front of the Pearl was to starboard, therefore - he was the stand-on vessel, and the Pearl is the give-way vessel. He had the right of way, and could proceed on course.

The larger ship that was to port? He was the give-way vessel, and should have altered his course. I'd be willing to bet the 5 short blasts were intended for him, not the smaller one that was doing absolutely nothing wrong. And I'd also guess that the Captain knows this.

Your 100% correct, however if I'm sailing the small sailboat I'm giving way when it comes to something ten thousand times my size;)

i don't see anything out of the ordinary here. Video was sped up quite a bit and distance was well within limits.

1) time elapsed

2) proximity

3) perspective distortion due to camera aperture

4) rules of the road!

Now if you want to see gross neglect...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpuseiyqojm

:eek:

Cheers,

norman

oops

Your 100% correct, however if I'm sailing the small sailboat I'm giving way when it comes to something ten thousand times my size;)

I'd rather take my 26 foot Chris Craft in front of the bow, rather than cross something of that Gross Tonnage's wake.

We've got tons of container/shipping traffic here in the Chesapeake Bay, and I choose crossing the bow over going through their wake every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Similar to my car vs a semi. I may have the right of way, but I also have the right to not be stupid.

My thoughts exactly. Although they made it across, I would not want to be the one on the sailboat looking up at this massive ship coming toward me thinking "yea, I have the right of way, what's it gonna be Mr cruise ship?"

I give. Yep, I would just give and bow down to the ship. :o

I'd rather take my 26 foot Chris Craft in front of the bow, rather than cross something of that Gross Tonnage's wake.

We've got tons of container/shipping traffic here in the Chesapeake Bay, and I choose crossing the bow over going through their wake every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I've got a 28ft Whaler. I've never been worried about passing over a wake from a ship that size. Its normally one wave 3-4 ft high. I trust my engines but not enough to try and "beat" a ship of that size. You loose your engines for whatever reason you are indeed screwed.

Edited by Laszlo

I can tell you-- I was a nervous wreck watching our departure from Newport RI...there were so MANY sailboats in the harbor (as there usually is !)..all sizes and some were very close...:eek:

I can tell you-- I was a nervous wreck watching our departure from Newport RI...there were so MANY sailboats in the harbor (as there usually is !)..all sizes and some were very close...:eek:

Years, (many) ago, in Boston harbor, I had a little 17footer with a powerful outboard on the back. Inside the boat was a cooler full of adult beverages. One sunday afternoon, I was showing off with my pals, by going up to the big island tour boats and getting as close as I could, without actually bumping them. As the beer kicked in, I swerved right in front of one of these behemoths, and cut him off. Well,.....no way Jose, there was a blue light right behind me, and a bullhorn blaring....."Pull over" Needless to say, I got a very stern warning from the Coast Guard, and had to attend safety classes for a month. It was a needed wake up call, and I took it. The main thing I learned was: there is no way a big boat can put it's brakes on and stop for me. Lesson learned....the hard way.:o

• 4 months later...