River cruise demographics

CindyP1954

I'm 55 traveling in 2 days (yippee) with my 33 yr old daughter on the Viking Paris to Normandy. Back in 2008, I was the daughter on a St. Petersburg - Moscow cruise. Met a bunch of Aussies my age and had a great time. Hope you have a blast.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

The demographics for most of my cruises have been 60-70. I went on my first river cruise many years ago at the young age of 50. I've never had any problem integrating with fellow passengers. Most are well traveled and great conversationalists.

Have been doing these since my late 40s and always enjoyed the older passengers.Now I m one (60s) and STILL love the cruises.Most are well educated and fun to talk to(have learned a lot and made good friends).Remember, you can go off on your own in each port.Have seen a few younger kids in large family groups also.Will only be a problem if YOU make it one,so go and just enjoy.:)

We have enjoyed 6 river cruises so far and by far the demographics on our AMA wine theme cruise and AMA Christmas market cruise were the youngest. On both, about half the passengers were 50 and under.

We started river cruising when I was 52 and we both appreciated the enjoyed the younger crowd on our AMA cruises. The difference was also reflected in the entertainment we experienced onboard (dancing til the wee hours to a great DJ after the scheduled entertainment) and the more energetic staff.

This is one of the reasons we are booked with AMA for our next two river cruises. We loved our wine themed cruise and the camaraderie of fellow afficiandos and really look forward to exploring the vineyards of Provence next year. The Christmas market cruises seem to attract a pretty mixed age group and the extra festivities aboard AMA were a lot of fun.

On our first river cruise (Rhine/Moselle with Uniworld) I think I was the youngest...I was 59. We had a gentleman traveling alone who was 93, and very, very personable. I've only seen a couple of people younger than me on our 3 river cruises. In December I'm taking my 30 year old daughter on a Seine cruise. I've told her she'll be the youngest by far. I agree with others, though...the folks who take these cruises are a great bunch of interesting travelers!

I think the demographics of river cruises are changing. On my first cruise, people were older. On the cruise I just returned from. we had many more young people. There were two well-behaved younger boys traveling with grandparents, 6 teens and 2 boys in their young 20's. My husband and I are in our late 50s and there were other people in our age range. The majority of people were a little older.

Archived