Live from the Maasdam NE/C

tomc

I wonder why we get so upset if the pilot of our airplane leaves in flight, but it doesn't bother us if the pilot on our ship leaves when we have left the harbor?

The people in the cabin next to me had a great fight this afternoon. I came in on the tail end and missed all of it. The cabins are soundproof, but we have a connecting door and it's easy to get all the action. I'm not sure if the husband was fighting with the wife, or if he was just exploding in front of her about something else.

I was in the restroom near the dining room tonight, at the sink, when the guy ahead of me couldn't get the door open to leave. He turned the handle and no matter how hard he pushed, it just wouldn't open. So he said, "Here, you try it." I turned the handle and pulled; the door opened right up. I was gracious and said, "I've done this myself." He said, "Good thing there was someone in here with me." I mean, there are only two options with a door: push or pull. If it doesn't work one way, by golly, try the other.

The CD gave the disembark talk and -- WOW -- would you guess that the pax on this trip had EXACTLY the same stupid questions that every CD I've sailed with have heard from their pax? I just can't imagine the immensity of that coincidence.

Wanda the Worrier says she will never travel on the Ryndam. "That's the ship everyone got sick on, you know." I informed her that it was really just a few people, it can happen anywhere, it's fairly common and it's not just one ship. "I don't care," she said. "The Ryndam had that sickness on it and I'm not going to get sick."

This post came to you live from the Maasdam.

When Ebeneezer Scrooge landed in Maine, he said: "Bah! Hahbah!"

I'm in BH right now, having trouble, as my last post (not the test) got wiped out as invalid. I think the software dumped me because I was mentioning how the offspring of parents were doing and must have used some keywords that caused it to be rejected. That's happened before. Usually it doesn't take the whole post with it, but this --innocent as it was-- must have kicked the software censor into overdrive.

One of the onboard security guards was chatting with me. Turns out, he has been thinking for these two weeks that I was from "Corporate" (i.e.: Seattle). I wear a tie and jacket every night after 6:00, tend to walk around the decks a lot alone (which I like ... being alone) and taking notes in the Lido. If only he knew that those notes are actually idea for posting to this thread!

So I look as if I'm from headquarters, eh?

The offspring of parents are behaving quite well this week. Marvelously so. They seem to be having a real good time and I think the HAL Club people are working hard to accomplish this.

All goes well. This may be my last post from the cruise, as I only have eleven onboard minutes left and that will be used for my family. I'll do a wrap-up and reflection when I get home.

This post has come to you live from the Maasdam

where even chariots must turn back into pumpkins.

Alas, all good things must come to an end. Thanks so much for keeping us informed and entertained ... just like a good media mogul should! Looking forward to your wrapup. (Perhaps the offspring of parents were threatened with the possibility of becoming shark fodder!)

Tom, You have prepared me well for our cruise:) As you hand over command of the posting from the Maasdam to me I will try to be as informative and can only hope to be half as entertaining:D

Thanks for your posting the past 2 weeks.

Your posts have been so enjoyable. Now I can hardly wait for the 16th to board. Wish you were on with us. Would like to experience your wonderful sense of humor first hand.

Thank you,

Joanne, the chocoholic

I think he breathed thru his bagpipes. Kept that long one above the water, breathed thru the pipe in his mouth. Quite a sight.

I popped back into town to send a note to my family, thought I'd drop in here and see if there are any comments I should respond to before they stop tender service.

Someone in the Lido asked a person at the table behind me where Cadillac Mountain was. I leaned back and pointed to it. They thanked me and one of them made the mistake of asking how it got its name. Silly fool. I said it was because the first Cadillac dealership in Maine started up on top of it. He seemed satisfied with that answer, but the good angel on my right shoulder prevailed over the bad devil on my left shoulder and I said, "Just a joke." It's probably a good thing I did that.

Thanks for the kind words. Stay tuned for "Live from the Noordam" starting October 14, 2006.

This post came to you live from the Maasdam

even though it looks an awful lot like a reasonably-priced internet cafe in BH

This has been delightful summer entertainment---wish it never had to end.

Bet you feel the same.

Thanks for all the posts. Looking forward to you continuing the tradition LIVE! from the Noordam.

Tom,

Maybe if all of us who have so thoroughly enjoyed your "live from..." series all chipped in a $ or $$. you could jump on the _____dam (impromptu-Upic!) cruise around Labor Day so we don't have such long, harsh withdrawals:D !!!

Now that you're home---and back to free internet!---feel free to tell us all about that last night. We want to hear more about "your" Hat Lady, the worry-wart, and all the little tid-bits that made your cruise unique.

Hope you had a safe journey home, And that the mailpile wasn't too high after a 14-day cruise!

Welcome home Tomc and thank you for keeping us smiling. I now can't wait to board Her again next March. It sounds like you had a wonderful trip and I look forward to your wrap-up.

I will attempt to do a review of the cruise and, if you have questions, post them as such and I will do my best to answer.

Embarkation. Pretty much a blur. I got up at 3:00am to catch the 4:00am bus and 9:00am train, so I wasn't in the greatest shape when I arrived at dockside around 1:30 or 1:45pm. I do recall not sitting down during the check-in process; it went quickly and I was definitely in the Lido by 2:00. I also think I could drop my stuff directly to my cabin before going up to the Lido (I bring only carry-on; no checked bags).

Debarkation. The same, in reverse; I thought it went smoothly. (This was, again, in Boston at the end of the b2b.) There was a mandatory passport/b.c. check when we arrived in Bar Harbor on the way down into the States and that went swiftly, as well. If people aren't being jerks about these things, you can run 1,266+ people thru in no time at all. Just be prepared, listen for the announcements, and show up in a timely fashion. Oh, and don't gripe; much of what happens is a fact of cruising life.

Front Office. Patient, calm and --if you let them be-- funny. Approach them not with a worried look, but with a "got a problem, you can solve it" look. I had a blank invitation to a reception of some sort and we had a lot of fun with that. There were also a couple of snags on my b2b cabin change, but we kept up a cheerful attitude and, sure enough, it all cleared up. I saw people demanding things, people all worried about stuff; the staff can handle it, as they've seen it all before. Go with confidence and, as you pass by occasionally and it's quiet, thank them for their help in the past. They really brighten up.

Lido Waiters. All delightful. Had a bunch in the Lido who were constantly knocking on me because I'd sit there reading and fall asleep. "Ahh, Mr. Tom, you sleeping again?" We had a lot of fun. They were always offering to help people with their trays; I don't know if they gravitated toward the elderly and/or slightly disabled, but they would be there if needed.

Diningroom Waiters. All seem to be doing a good job. In earlier days, they seemed to be at a ratio of 1:10, but I think it's more like 1:15 now. Still, good service and no complaints. The gentleman at the door who seats people at breakfast was especially good to me, as I greatly prefer to be alone at that time of day. I only had to share once.

Archived