Live from the Maasdam NE/C

tomc

Sunday night

The CD is, I think, Troy Anderson. Or something like that; I'll check later and give you a complete list.

Troy was Assistant Cruise Director for our two cruises. Craig DiRocco was CD but he left the ship on Saturday with us. Craig is really terrific IMO

Troy had a more noticeably visible role than some other Asst CD's we've seen.

We received a letter from Captain Steubing, or whoever: "Last cruise, upon departure from Montreal, one of the five main diesel generaors developed a technical problem that will likely keep it out of operation for the remainder of the cruise. The vessel is opertaing on four engines as opposed to five. We will be unable to attain our planned speed for certain portions of the cruise. We will have to cancel our scenic cruising of the Saguenay Fjord (and he mentions leaving BH an hour early and arriving Sydney one hour late)."[/Quote]

Captain van der Loo made the same announcement to us on our second week. We left one port an hour early and another two hours early. We also did not have scenic cruising of the Saguenay Fjord that week. That was too bad as it is very beautiful and a shame those who had never seen it before did not get to view it on our cruise....or apparently on Tom's.

Thanks for the wonderful posts, Tom.

Enjoy your wonderful two weeks aboard the 'beautiful and elegant' ms Maasdam.

Hi Tom!

THANK YOU SOOOO much for posting the message to me from Shy!! I hope that you have him as your waiter, because he is the BEST! And SOOO sweet too! I guess I can't ask you to give him a hug for me...but please tell him "HI" for me & that I still miss him & LOVE his text messages.

There is also a WONDERFUL cook on the right side (sorry...I never learned the ship 'lingo') of the Lido. His name is Roland & he is the one serving your main dish. Got to know him as I was always one of the last ones getting breakfast in the morning. He would get me extra strawberries for my french toast. If you find him, please tell him Pat says "HI". I miss him too!

The Crew on all HA ships are great; but on the Maasdam, they are the BEST!

Thanks for taking the time to post!

Hope you have a GREAT 2 week vacation!

THANKS again, Tom for the special message!

rocks (Pat)

tom: what a fascinating cruise you are having!! Thanks for the posts-I have printed them to take home and share with DW.

If you get a chance, please tell Troy that Bill & Virginia from Vegas wish him well and say "hello". He was an asst. CD on our Amsterdam cruise to SA/Antarctica in 2003/2004 and we got to know him.

Your posts are very much appreciated-thanks, again!

Tom

Great review can't wait for the next installment *LOL*

Hey You can ask those women if they are 10% Inspiration and 90% Persperation .

If you ask them in the dining room you could get a mention in the worst thing a tablemate ever said thread.

Something to think about, I am offering you a shot at immortality :) :) :)

tomc...what a riot...between the Inspiration ladies and the Champagne Strings(not to mention the vibrating Lido!) you're sure to have a wonderful time on the Maasdam!!:) Why couldn't you have taken your trip in Feb. when we were on the ship!! Would've enjoyed a few laughs!! Make sure you visit the gym and pump up. You'll need to be ready, in the event you are called upon to man the oars. Have a great time. Say hello to the photo shop folks...they're awsome!! Can't wait to read the next installment!!

... the double entendre and mixed metaphor contained in the above quote from Ruth is just too good not to notice.

Wish I could take credit, Greg, but 'fraid not this time.

Listen, tom, you can tell those 350 men of desire to hang around for the trans-Atlantic and they may just enjoy the trip. ;) (hey, it pays to advertise.)

I don't know what's up with this ship, but we had rather noticeable vibration during supper and then, for about two minutes, it was like a couple miles of real bad road. I thought we were doing what's called a "crash stop." The dining room is right over the props, so anything that happens with them will be obvious to us and, possibly, the people working on the generator problems might have done something which caused it. Don't know. After a while, everything settled down and we seemed to be moving along normally.

In case I didn't mention it before, Boston was HOT on Saturday, BH was warm on Sunday and Halifax was pleasant on Monday. We arrive in Sydney on Tuesday (which will be tomorrow as I write this, probably today as you read it). It's been a little foggy, with the ship's foghorn going off occasionally. A little breezy and the people from Californny are complaining about the temperature. Wusses.

While in Halifax, the crew was steam-cleaning (or some such process) the outside of the ship and the windows. Also, there was a fishing boat with two masts, a couple of jibs and a steadying sail in the back taking people out around the harbor. It also had a water exhaust for the engine (whoooops, did I accidentally say there was an engine?). Oh, well; someone on a cruise board was chatting with the Delta Queen's engineer, who told him only 10% of the motive power came from the paddlewheels. As always, disregard the man behind the curtain.

I was approached by some young lady who said she was with the Women of Inspiration religious group. I wasn't so sure about that, as she did not have one of their badges on and, when asked, she was really vague about the subject of the meetings. Anyway, she approached me about having my sins washed away in a total immersion ceremony last night. Sounded good to me, as I can use that kind of cleansing. She said to meet her at the Jacuzzi around 1:30 a.m. and she would do the ritual. When we got there, she said the group had run out of liturgical wine but she did find a bottle of champagne, which was just as good. So we got in the Jacuzzi, had the champagne, she prayed over me and we both sort of fell asleep until a deckhand woke us up around 4:00 a.m. He said he'd leave for a few minutes so we could get dressed and he wouldn't say anything. I don't know if my sins were really washed away, or if I should go to Catholic confession to the ship's chaplain. I do know that I'm going to take a peek at the Jacuzzi overnight before I go to bed and see if she's in there doing this "ritual" stuff with another guy. I've got my suspicions.

This post came to you live from the Maasdam

where God invented bread pudding and the devil invented seconds.

tom: I just read your post aloud to DW and she responded: "He really got into the jacuzzi naked?" I didn't know which was causing the tears to roll down my cheeks, your post or DW's response!!!!!!!! :eek:

Keep 'em coming!!!! ;)

I'm living vicariously through your posts! And laughing all the way!

We'll be joining you on Saturday in Montreal. We're flying into Montreal tomorrow for a few pre-cruise days...

Any word on whether the engine problem will be fixed before the next cruise begins?

Thanks for the great posts!

Hi guys! Reporting live from the Maasdam, having a wonderful time so far! Everything is going well, ship is great, and weather is perfect. Food is good but getting a little tired of the Lido. Not bothered by engine problem, just glad we wont be missing any ports. Loved Bar Harbor (kayaking was terrific) and Halifax (did our own little tour around town). Will report more later.

calgalcruiser was using an internet site on the dock at Sydney and left the CC site open. I was next in line! How about that coincidence! I said, "You're on the Maasdam? Did you just reply to 'Live from the Maasdam?' She said, "You're Tom?" Unfortunately, I'm nowhere as impressive in person as I am online. Also, the big brute next to me identified himself as her husband, so that shot one opportunity right there. I don't need my face re-arranged.

The dockside shop in Sydney has grown a lot in the years it has been open. At first, it was little more than a tin shack (ok, a bit of an exaggeration there) and now it is a full-scale place featuring local artisans and a place to get some eats in case you can't wait to get back on board. I think the little shop behind the church is still open (follow the signs when you get to the street).

The Vibration: We may have been running at the speed where this ship vibrates. I think all ships have that speed. Last night we ran smoothly, even in the Lido where it was shaky before.

Weather is quite pleasant in Sydney. More later, either at the free dockside 'puter or at 11:00pm Eastern (midnite here).

This post came to you live from the Maasdam

where Dutch High Tea isn't something you roll yourself and smoke

Thanks, Tom, for all the very huffy looks I'm recieving for lol! Love your posts, but what are all those women being inspired by now that the vibrations have ended?:p

Please tell us what you're finding interesting (besides Calgal!) in ports!

Thanks for the entertainment!

It must be the repairs they are making they are causing vibration. In fourteen days aboard, we did not feel any vibration at all. The only unusual thing we felt was in the middle of the night when the engine damage occured. It was rather an abrupt sort of feeling and we suspected something had happend. Hopefully, these vibrations will result in a complete, successful repair and the next cruises will have full, proper use of all engines.

Enjoy; and please keep up the fun posts.

Archived