Live from the Maasdam NE/C

tomc

I'm in PEI right now, where we are docking for only four hours. Anne of Green Gables met us at the pier, all smiley and pigtailey. Those with diabetes were going into sugar shock all over the place.

What a great disappointment it would be to me to have the visit to PEI cut short. You'd have to be a reader as a young girl to know what a treat it would be to go to Green Gables. Wonderful stories. I have my granddaughter reading them all now, just as I did. :D

Thoroughly enjoying your posts! Please keep them up and let us know what you are doing in the ports. I presume PEI is short because of the ongoing engine problems?

Oh, I believed your 'blank invitation' story... enjoyed hearing about it.

Hey, slow your roll with "Anne" ...she's a childhood friend of mine. :)

Have a great day, tomc!!

(This is my favorite thread this week... appreciate it very much.)

Oh, I believed your 'blank invitation' story... enjoyed hearing about it.

Hey, slow your roll with "Anne" ...she's a childhood friend of mine. :)

Have a great day, tomc!!

(This is my favorite thread this week... appreciate it very much.)

stormyc, it's nice to see you. I see your posts once in a while and appreciate them...and your 'take' on things. One stands out, but I'd rather not mention it, right here...some other time, perhaps.:)

tomc...that 'sugar shock' bit is a riot!! Watch yourself...there may be an 'Anne of Green Gables' club out there!!

And, yes...what about those internet prices? Your hair would stand up on end if you knew what we paid...we have two teen agers!! Whenever we couldn't find them, we'd just head over to the Internet Cafe. I spent some relaxing hours next door in the library. I can just see it...seems like yesterday on the Maasdam!!:)

Be well!!

tomc... Watch yourself...there may be an 'Anne of Green Gables' club out there!!

I can't believe there's a girl, of any age, on here who is not a friend of Anne's, either through the books or movies. If so, it's never too late to enjoy a delightful series.

Actually Anne was anything but super sweet; she was a vixen and always in all kinds of trouble, no matter what she may have appeared to be like to TomC at the pier. ;)

:) Tom described her pefectly. They had her dressed in a sweet little dress with bibbed-apron, hair in pigtails and seated on a bale of hay or such for photos. Her smile could not have been wider or more innocent. An adorable young girl.....

We totally enjoyed both of our stops in PEI.

I've never been accused of being virtuous. (one of my better qualities, btw.;) ) S-o-o-o-o--- since you haven't said you're ready to take questions I'm just gonna go ahead and start asking:

About the Piano Bar:confused: Is the piano player going to be there still when I board? If so, will I be happy? (As the Big Bopper said, You know what I like!)

We loved PEI. Beautiful place and lovely people. The Anne of Green Gables farmstead was a treat to visit. Our only complaint was the tour guide on our bus. A sweet woman ... but she simply wouldn't shut up. She was in silent mode only to take a breath. I know her job is to inform, but she went on and on and on ........... It's probably just me, but the poor lady really grated on my nerves after a while. I still tipped her. Figured she deserved it for quantity if not quality!

Did you get to Green Gables having not one, but 2 opportunities? How was the tour?

We did a walking tour and we did the Charlottetown City Tour. That is quite remarkable for us. :) We hardly ever take organzied ship's tours. The City Tour was only okay....not sorry we took it but I would not necesarrily recommend it.

Never read the A of GG books. This one you just want to squeeeeze and hug.

This post came to you live from the Maasdam

where Clark Gables have mustaches and Green Gables have pigtales

TomC

Your posts are getting better and better *LOL*

I am having such a good time on Your vacation :)

Thank you for sharing with us.

Just curious, has there been an organized "Friends of Anne of GG " meeting on board yet?

And was it announced and listed in the daily program *LOL*

No "Friends of A of GG" meetings yet. There was a vaguely worded meeting this afternoon and I asked someone in the CD's office if it had anything to do with Dorothy, but he said, "No, it's not a 'Friends of Dorothy' meeting; nobody has asked for one yet." I told him I'm not a FOD, but the question had come up on the boards.

On my last post, I meant to tag it with:

"Clark Gables have mustashes, but Green Gables have pigtails." Not "tales."

(Someone with an earpiece and a nametag just put something up to his ear, then rushed out of here leaving everything at his computer. SOMETHING'S up and I'd love to know what. ... Well, he's back, so whatever it was, it was quick. Got one or two of these guys looking like Secret Service with their earpieces. Probably listening to music or satellite radio.)

One of the earnest Assistant Waiters looks a lot like Flounder from "Animal House." I can't help but smile and/or laugh when I see him zipping along thru the dining room. I mentioned it to the lady next to me and now she's infected.

where all cabins stay above water, no matter how high the tide.

stormyc, it's nice to see you. I see your posts once in a while and appreciate them...and your 'take' on things. One stands out, but I'd rather not mention it, right here...some other time, perhaps.:)

Hi, C-Girl -

Thanks so much... always interested in your posts, also. ;)

Our "take" may be different occasionally, but I think at times our spirits commune. :)

I can't believe there's a girl, of any age, on here who is not a friend of Anne's, either through the books or movies. If so, it's never too late to enjoy a delightful series.

Actually Anne was anything but super sweet; she was a vixen and always in all kinds of trouble, no matter what she may have appeared to be like to TomC at the pier. ;)

Devoted fan of the "Anne-girl" myself; however, I don't believe I would agree that she was a 'vixen' - only had a knack for getting into trouble - but she always meant well.

We should start a book club and discuss our varying views of the Anne series. :rolleyes:

KK and Peaches and Jim and Sail -

I really would love to go to PEI one day.

Sounds like I should make it a land vacation, though, so I don't run the risk of the port stop being abbreviated or canceled. I don't cry easily, but that just might do it. :p

We left PEI this afternoon, skirted one thunderstorm and went thru another, then the skies were sunny again. The wind picked up, as did the seas, but you'd never know it inside.

Not sure if I mentioned in Halifax that we were met by a bagpiperess when we left the dock. Or maybe it was Sydney, now that I think of it. Well, somewhere up here.

There are hand sanitizers in appropriate places around the ship. They look somewhat like the gumball machines you used to see in drugstores. There are some in the diningroom and Lido entrances, as well as in the Internet Cafe. An excellent idea, especially in the Internet room; you just never know where the previous users' fingers have been, and don't even want to imagine where that might be. Better to prevent anything onboard than race around trying to play catch-up if there is an outbreak.

Sunset tonight at 9:19 on my clock; twilight for about an hour more. The high latitudes will do this.

Here's your hat; what's your hurry. Ok, so they need to know our departure plans fairly soon into the trip, but it would be nice if we got the request after we had a chance to unpack. Be that as it may. But this is Wednesday of a cruise that ends on Saturday and we just had our Farewell Dinner, applause for the kitchen crew, dining room crew, and the Baked Alaska parade. I am worried that there may be no more meals from now till Saturday. Or that they are going to dump us somewhere on the shores of the Gaspe Peninsula tomorrow morning and say, "That's it, folks; cruise is over, find your own way home."

where Baked Alaska has nothing to do with global warming.

Indonesian Crew Show was tonight; I stayed for part of it, as I also wanted to check out the late-nite buffet. The several acts I saw were good, and one dance in particular was very clever; it involved seven people doing rhythmic movements on a mat. Those who have seen it will, I think, agree that it was very cleverly choreographed.

I haven't the faintest idea why they did a farewell dinner in the middle of the cruise. I think Friday would have been fine; that's the night before everyone (well, everyone else) leaves. That's when you say, "farewell," and "remember, your Great-Aunt Tillie looks like a terrorist, so be understanding to the airport guards who think her cane is a WMD."

Our clocks go back to American time ... you know, Eastern. Isn't that the time which rules the country?? So we get an extra hour of sleep tonight; like, that's all we really need is more sleep.

This post has come to you live from the Maasdam

where the waiters wish you a "Happy Birzzzday."

Tomc:

I just realized I may actualy KNOW one of your women of inspiration! All of a sudden everything clicked together. One of the four employees of my local (small town) bank is on vacation right now. On a cruise. To New England. With her Church! LOL! She's on the ship with you! So, would you please run all over the ship yelling "SHIRLEY?! SHIRLEY?! SHIRLEY?!" If somebody answers (40's, dark hair w/some grey) tell her her drawer didn't balance and the bank is looking for her! LOL! I can actually see you doing that....

BTW, here's me with Flounder! He's older now (aren't we all!) and has lost weight:

mFurst.JPG

Can I have 10,000 marbles please??

Mary

I haven't the faintest idea why they did a farewell dinner in the middle of the cruise. I think Friday would have been fine; that's the night before everyone (well, everyone else) leaves. That's when you say, "farewell," and "remember, your Great-Aunt Tillie looks like a terrorist, so be understanding to the airport guards who think her cane is a WMD."

Tom, I know the Farewell Dinner seems early but my guess is that the port you are in today (Thursday) is a late departure so it would of made it hard to have a Formal Night and take all those money making pictures if everyone is off the ship. Then Friday which is when it should be but is never done because they would be unable to sell their pictures to EVERYONE the last morning as the cruise ends. In looking at itinerary my guess our last Formal Night will also be Wednesday.

Archived